Using a 3 way gas fridge???

Hi,

This is my very first post after lurking around here for a while.

My fiancé and I are going to travel around Australia and we have just purchased a 3 way Dometic fridge. What we're not sure of now is how to travel with the gas cylinder?

We're going in a Magna as we don't have a four wheel drive. Is it safe to travel with a gas bottle in a car for long periods at a time? What worries me is when we stop somewhere for a while with the bottles in the car the most.

Was this a bad decision?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:45

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:45
Pengoc

I have a Dometic 3way fridge in my campertrailer and what I do is the day before setting out on a trip is to hook up to 240v at home and leave the fridge running. When I'm about to leave I switch over to the 12v system while travelling and when camping for the night switch over to gas.
These fridges run efficiently on 240v and gas but on 12v will only maintain the temperature.
It's also illegal and a potential fire hazard to run the fridge on gas while travelling.
Hope this helps
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401558

Reply By: Pengoc - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:01

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 01:01
Thanks Bentaxle.

We have no intentions of running the fridge on gas while driving. What we are worried about is carrying the gas cylinders in the car.

I'm starting to wonder if a solar panel, battery and electric fridge wouldn't have been better.
AnswerID: 401559

Reply By: Tricky Dicky - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:26

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:26
Pengoc

i have been carrying a spare 4kg and a 2 1/2 kg gas bottles when we are traveling in the back of my patrol and never had any problems yet. We are not smokers and always make sure gas is turned off properly. Not sure if its illegal though.
Richard
AnswerID: 401582

Follow Up By: Member - ross m (WA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:48
You can get purpose made carry box for small cylinders at Ranger camping and
BCF
Its not illegal to carry them in the car. Its illegal to have them set up for cooking in a vehicle without approval.
I carry mine in a bucket with lots of padding and store it under the sleeping gear while travelling
FollowupID: 670926

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:53

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:53
with a 9kg bottle I've been known to use an 'old' milk crate :-)

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 671120

Reply By: Stinz - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:56

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:56
Agree with Bentaxle. We run ours at home as a beer fridge so it is always cold when we put it in the car, then on gas when we stop for the night.

We keep our gas bottles on the camper trailer where they are epxosed to very hot temperatures. I can't see any problem having the gas bottle in the car as long as you strap it down.

Gas is much easier to manage than mucking around with solar panels and extra wiring... more reliable and cheaper as well.

Cheers
AnswerID: 401590

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:35

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:35
Yes you CAN carry your gas bottle (containing gas) inside of your vehicle. Many people do, However, whilst the chances are slim, IF, there is a gas leak and IF that gas ignites (inside your vehicle - with you in it) you had better be fully prepared to explain to St Peter why you acted with such stupidity. Sorry but there are no second chances.
AnswerID: 401598

Reply By: Nik & Dee - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:59

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:59
Hi Pengoc,

We did Oz many yerars ago as a family, I was only 4 but am now planning to do the trip again. Dad told me the 3 way fridge was great but make sure you turn it off the 12V every time you stop the car, even an hour for lunch can flatten a battery, especially if it's just a cranker.

Like other posts, I have always carried a 9Kg cylander in the car, just make sure it is well secured. I keep mine behind the passenger seat and have the seat right back so there's no room for it to move. Otherwise you can get some tie down straps from bunnings.

I chose to get an Engel and run a dual battery, that suits my plans better but my old man still swears by the 3 way. They are good when run on gas and you can set up camp for a few days without fear of runnning the car battery flat.

Have a great trip & might see you out there.

Cheers
Nik
AnswerID: 401601

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:31

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:31
Whilst I don't think it illegal, I would not advise storing or carrying gas cylinders inside a vehicle. If it happens to leak because of fault or something bumps the main wheel valve open you will have no second chances as someone has said above.

Perhaps you could attach an open container (milk crate or open lidded box) to roof racks and store up there? At least if something does happen the compressed gas will escape to atmosphere rather than gathering inside the vehicle.

LPG is heavier than air and thus will 'pool' in low spots if it escapes. If inside the car it may pool in the foot wells, boot etc for some time even if car doors are open.

Please carry the cylinder outside the car in a vented or open container, securely held down.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401632

Reply By: Pengoc - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:32

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:32
Thanks for all your replies, it makes us feel much better about carting the gas around in the car.

We returned our 4.5kg gas bottle and replaced it with two 2kg bottles as we felt this would be safer and easier to handle.

We'll probably buy a Waeco RAPS36 and charge that in the car while running the fridge from it while driving. At night we can use it in the tent to power other devices while the fridge is running on gas.
AnswerID: 401634

Reply By: Pengoc - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:39

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:39
Thanks for all your replies, it makes us feel much better about carting the gas around in the car.

We returned our 4.5kg gas bottle and replaced it with two 2kg bottles as we felt this would be safer and easier to handle.

We'll probably buy a Waeco RAPS36 and charge that in the car while running the fridge from it while driving. At night we can use it in the tent to power other devices while the fridge is running on gas.

A roof rack sounds like a good idea. Does anyone know where to get one for a Magna 2002 model from? How exactly do you carry it up there?
AnswerID: 401636

Reply By: Pengoc - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:40

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:40
Sorry I accidentally posted twice. The second reply has more at the bottom.
AnswerID: 401637

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:58

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:58
Compare the Amperage & Price of the Waeco unit you mention against a 100ah AGM Deep Cycle battery & battery box, you may be surprised

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 671122

Reply By: Von Helga - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:59

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:59
Pengoc,
As you will be driving a magna (petrol) just be very very careful if you choose to can any fuel in cans as the pilot light in the fridge will cause an explosion when you re-fuel too close to the fridge. (it has happened before)
Cheers
Trevor
AnswerID: 401737

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:06

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:06
After reading a thread on another forum it is apparently not illegal to travel with a fridge running on gas.

It is however incredibly stupid.

If its in the vehicle you are travelling in would be as deadly as running the exhaust into the car.

That as a warning I see you intend not running it when travelling.

Where are you carying it. Run it on 12v when travelling.

When carrying gas bottles, they must always be carried UPRIGHT, as carrying them on their side prevents the safety valve from venting in the case of pressuring.
The also will not provide gas in this attitude.

In the boot would be best as when I got the last lot filled at a shop I biffed them in the back of the Cruiser to be told You shouldnt carry gas in a passenger compartment.

I said how else its a Wagon I know he said but thats what should happen.

Your car your life.

AnswerID: 401751

Reply By: Pengoc - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:14

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:14
There is no way I would run the fridge on gas while driving. That would be suicide.

People I've asked around here seem to feel fine about carrying the bottles in the boot. They're only two little bottles of 2kg each. I've been thinking of getting a brass cap to screw over the outlet on each bottle while travelling. That way if it was bumped or left slightly on for some ungodly reason it should prevent it getting out anyway.

Thanks for the continuing responses everyone.
AnswerID: 401752

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:03

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:03
Decades ago I had an LPG cylinder leak in a car. Very lucky there was no explosion. Leaks or venting do happen. As I remember it had just been filled, overfilled? and it might not have been re tightened properly. Smelt it and acted quickly and was very, very lucky. Just pray you are somewhere else when something like this happens. The chances of surviving to tell the story are not good.

I would not carry LPG cylinders in anything that was not vented to the outside air. This can be done on a trayback, ute, caravan, campervan or on a trailer. Not practical in a car unless you want to cut a hole in the bodywork of the vehicle. Possibly on a roof rack. That might work.

If you are absolutely determined to take it with you, carry it behind you in a trailer or on a roof rack.

In my TE Magna I found the ideal fridge was a Waeco 25. Fits behind the passenger seat on the floor or in the boot depending on need. Sockets were put in for both spots. A battery pack can be fitted as well to allow trouble free overnight use. There have been heaps of posts on this forum about suitable products.

Flynnie

AnswerID: 401796

Reply By: Pengoc - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 02:22

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 02:22
If we were to put a roof rack on the car, and the bottle were to leak while the vehicle is stationary, would the gas just run down and settle into the engine or the boot anyway?

The reason we've bought the gas fridge is because of the limited run times of electric ones. We have no means to charge batteries either.
AnswerID: 401846

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:48

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 15:48
Good question

My guess is it would disperse and not pool around the vehicle except in very still conditions. From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

"Propane is heavier than air. If a leak in a propane fuel system occurs, the gas will have a tendency to sink into any enclosed area and thus poses a risk of explosion and fire. The typical scenario is a leaking cylinder stored in a basement; the propane leak drifts across the floor to the pilot light on the furnace or water heater, and results in an explosion or fire."

Some risk remains carrying it on a roof rack but a lot less than having it in the vehicle. I am not advocating carrying it on a roof rack. It is the lesser of two evils, so to speak compared to carrying it inside a vehicle.

I reckon a lot of people are better off with a good ice box than worrying about fridges, batteries, wiring, isolators etc etc etc.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 671350

Sponsored Links