BT 50

Has anyone used the snake racing extended shackles to get a supension lift on there BT 50 , just wondering if it will effect pinion angle and the like . Any help would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 01, 2010 at 19:35
In NSW at least extended shackles are illegal for road use.
AnswerID: 406747

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 20:56

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 20:56
My 3" Lift is from Snake Racing - It has these grease-able shackles as part of the kit - They are very well made, but as stated above may not be road legal. They have been around Australia and on many solid 4x4 tracks. In my opinion much stronger than the original.

They are no good on there own for a lift, I would suggest you get your springs re tempered as well, most stock suspension is next to useless.

Raising the rear also means you should raise the front or you will have alignment and braking problems. Cheers
AnswerID: 406947

Follow Up By: fatboy - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:36

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 21:36
Hey Thanks Tony , these were recomended by snake racing for a small lift of 50 mm and he told me just to wind up my torsion bars and change the shocks . Not realy the answer i was looking for . How is the ride in your ute with the suspension done ?? My BT has an alloy tray and spends most of its time only lightly loaded , i was just trying to get feedback on some kits , TJM has told me that theres would make the ute too rough .I mainly use mine for offroad touring , has an alloy caanopy with mesh sides , the heaviest i get is going bush with the boat in tow , would probably only add up to 500-6-- kg .
FollowupID: 677016

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:08

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2010 at 22:08
My ute is used similarly to yours. Unloaded most of the time until we put on the slide off camper. My ride is a bit harsher without a load - but as well as the 3" lift I added load assist air bags. When I am not loaded I run the bags at 5-10psi, any more and it bounces around a bit. When loaded I pump the bags to 70psi and with the suspension the car remains level still with ample ground clearance. We did the Maytown track loaded with the camper and did not bottom out at all.

Winding up the standard torsion bars is not any good, they are just not good enough, you will need to do a wheel alignment as well.

The Snake Racing 3"lift gave me the clearance I was after - The Rodeo would belly out in soft sand prior and absolutely no issue after the lift. In the rocky country I seldom hit the Chassis rails now. So it suits me. I added a Lokka to the front with free wheeling hubs and where the car can not go now we have no interest anyway :-) This kit replaced the upper control arms for various wheel travel and alignment issues.

There is not much point to half lifts the standard gear just can not cope and the shockies run out of travel.

Save up the dollars and look for a good 2"kit that addresses all the alignment issues.

Best of luck - Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 677026

Follow Up By: fatboy - Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 04:55

Thursday, Mar 04, 2010 at 04:55
HeyThanks Tony , this is the kind of real world feedback that I was chasing , thanks for taking the time to share your experience

Pete
FollowupID: 677055

Reply By: fatboy - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:21

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2010 at 21:21
Hey Thanks Tony , these were recomended by snake racing for a small lift of 50 mm and he told me just to wind up my torsion bars and change the shocks . Not realy the answer i was looking for . How is the ride in your ute with the suspension done ?? My BT has an alloy tray and spends most of its time only lightly loaded , i was just trying to get feedback on some kits , TJM has told me that theres would make the ute too rough .I mainly use mine for offroad touring , has an alloy caanopy with mesh sides , the heaviest i get is going bush with the boat in tow , would probably only add up to 500-6-- kg .
AnswerID: 406954

Sponsored Links