Camp <span class="highlight">dogs</span> getting bigger, more dangerous

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:52
ThreadID: 77365 Views:3713 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Reading the news online this morning from the ABC, I came across these three stories about wild dogs around camps.
Camp dogs getting bigger, more dangerous
Workers flee in fear of 'frightening' dogs
Call for cull after dogs try to attack woman
This must be a concern for locals as well as travelers.
Can any of our members out that way confirm these stories or are they a media beat up. Many years ag, as a kid I was bailed up by a pack of dogs in town, a coastal town at that, and it scared the living day lights out of my to put it nicely. During the day these dogs were dogs that you would see in yards as you walked home from school or a mates place, but of a night they would roam the streets in. Coming home one night, about 8 pm on my pushy, I was bailed up by three dogs that would not let me past. If it wasn't for an old bloke in a house that came out cracking a whip, I reckon they would of had me. The old fella just yelled at me to get my backside home fast, which I did.
but in these attacks, it was in day light hours. As I mentioned it must be a concern for all around there.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:15

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:15
I think it is only a matter of time when this happens at the Kunawarritji Community on the CSR. Anyone that has camped there over night will have hear the packs of community dogs howling and hunting at night. During the day they, the dogs, seemed friendly enough and I am not aware of any dog incidents there. But I think there are too many dogs there. Just my opinion
AnswerID: 411276

Reply By: GregF - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:39

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 12:39
Howdy Blokes
I Reside in the Alice, I can confirm of at least 2 Deaths in relation to Camp Dog attacks in the last 2 years. This also included partial consumption of the human body.
Camp dogs are driven to this as a result of starvation through lack of care from their owners. Camp dogs also mate with the local Dingoes, resulting in very aggresive mongels, with built in hunting instincts.
Regards
Greg
AnswerID: 411277

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 13:23

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 13:23
Hi Greg,
I was also wondering what sort of risk does this pose for travelers?
Last year there was a thread here about the risks of Dingo's on Frazer Island to campers because they had lost their fear of humans, and people were feeding them as well. Then, I thought about the dogs that hang around camps in central OZ and how they would be more easily able to bred with Dingos.
It's not a good situation at all.

FollowupID: 681372

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 23:45

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 23:45
Gday Hairs,
The bloke who got half eaten near Hidden Valley ( In town) was a tourist....thats why it made the paper.
But hey....tourists are a dime a dozen and I heard he was a Qld'er anyway....LOL
FollowupID: 681449

Follow Up By: Wrong Way Jon - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:22

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:22
G'day Hairy,
Thats what I was thinkin'
Some one that had camped in the wrong place, not knowing any better.
A shame,

FollowupID: 681770

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:23

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:23
There's plenty out there Jon. Here's a bit of a story about them in the NSW and Vic high country.
I can tell you there's also plenty in the Pillaga.NSW / VIC High Country Wild Dogs.

Next door neighbour of ours up in the Pilliga used to sleep in his swag under the stars when he first bought the place. After a pack of three huge wild dogs chased a roo through his camp late one night, (dogs won), he soon set up an old caravan for sleeping quarters. We never venture away from the camp on foot after dark., and always sleep in the vans. Most mornings there are fresh paw prints on the sandy tracks.

Fred.
AnswerID: 411296

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:28

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:28
..........................and NO..............they're not Yowie prints.... :-))

Yowies are harmless. Not a single recorded Yowie attack in Oz. LOL.

FollowupID: 681392

Reply By: GregF - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:28

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 15:28
I heard the Dingoes on Frazer are pure bred,and it is well known thar they are responcible for attacks on people usually when food is around or when people try to touch them. Some mates and my son were down at Dalhousie Hot Springs last year, they reckon the Dingoes where trying to to remove food of there plates at Tucker time and then got cranky when they where moved on. I think in both cases that the Dingoes have got used to easy tucker as a result of visiters thinking there cute and that they need a feed. Bad for both Dogs and humans. In regards to the campdog issue, it does appear to be getting out of hand and culling may well be a solution( Dont shoot me I love my dog, but then I look after it). Some of those Mutts you see at the Towncamps and Communities are walking dead, with the diseases and parasites they carry.
REGARDS
GREG
AnswerID: 411297

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 23:47

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 23:47
Id like to see them take food off your plate!!!!!
Now that would be a good blue.....Hahahahahha LOL
FollowupID: 681450

Reply By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 21:58
Jon.
Watch out.The dreaded KIP will be after you at Cangai LOL.
Cheers.
Vince
AnswerID: 411353

Follow Up By: Wrong Way Jon - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 09:07

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 09:07
It's getting closer Vince,
I've told the kids to hide their treats from KIP or they'll lose them LOL

FollowupID: 681811

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 22:13

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 22:13
I've never seen a dog like this in an aboriginal community:

Looking for adventure.