Off road camper trailer - shackle problems!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:31
ThreadID: 77941 Views:5361 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We recently got home from a tip to Fraser Is with our brand new camper trailer. Within two minutes of leaving home the shackles inverted and brought the whole trailer forward ending up with the body of the trailer sitting on the wheels and smoke pouring off them!

The manufacturer came straight out and did a rough fix to get us back to his workshop where they moved the position of the shackles back. We didn't have a problem again on our 10 day trip but have lost a bit of confidence with the set up. He told us that he hadn't set up the shackles to suit the heavy load we were carrying (well under the 1800kg that the leaf springs are rated to carry). He mentioned that since he has moved the shackles they may not be suitable when we are carrying a lighter load?? I didn't think it was unreasonable to expect the camper to be set up to carry either a small amount for a short trip or a large amount for a longer trip... Should it not be capable of carrying anything up to 1800kg (inc the trailer itself of course)?

We are taking the camper back soon for a service and to discuss the suspension issues but just wanted some opinions first. I hope this all makes sense, camper trailer suspension is most certainly not my area of expertise!!

Thanks,
Jess
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:59

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:59
JessO,

If a leaf sprung trailer regardless of its load carrying capacity has had its shackle suspension set up correctly, the shackles should not be able to invert!

The hanger positions are a set distance from each other in relation to the leaf springs being used.

Check out the ALCO website for a more detailed description of how they should be set up, then you'll have some ammo when fronting the trailer manufacturer!

AnswerID: 413992

Reply By: fisho64 - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 09:29

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 09:29
Yes that seems quite ridiculous, that its setup to carry 1800kg but you cant tow it empty? Does that mean when you take it to see him again you need to load it up to 1800? Perhaps the shackles are too short? Either way look at any box trailer that can be towed empty or fully (over!) loaded? A box trailer will have a much greater contrast between empty/full than any camper.
AnswerID: 413997

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 14:52

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 14:52
I must agree with the above respondents. This is a major engineering fault,
the spring hangers being incorrectly located. I would get a tape out & check
other points for being equi-distant, including A frame length. Any differences
would indicate a below standard manufacture. Check axle location as well.
If problems exist, scream long & loud.......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 414043

Reply By: Member - Tony Z (NSW) - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 21:14

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 21:14
Jesso I had broken of both hangers on very rough roads and when getting them repaird correctly I was told that the hanger should be set at ( I think it was 20deg to the chassie) may be wrong with the deg but as said before you can find out from a reputable trailer builder
AnswerID: 414079

Reply By: JessO - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:16

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:16
Thanks very much for all of your advice. I think you have all confirmed my thoughts!

I spoke to the manufacturer this afternoon, he's going to have a good look at the suspension and determine whether it's now set up appropriately (the repairs were done fairly quickly so we could still head off on our trip that day). Fingers crossed it gets sorted, we are really happy with the trailer in every other way.

AnswerID: 414092

Reply By: cycadcenter - Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 23, 2010 at 23:35
So did they reweld some more shackle hangers in another psition?

I'd be real worried about the engineering ability of this company if they can't get this right. They should have a jig to ensure the shackle hangers are placed in the correct engineered position.

If they couldn't get this right what else may happen when you're travelling down the highway at 100 and something else lets go.

If it were mine I'd return the trailer for 100% refund.

Bruce
AnswerID: 414094

Follow Up By: JessO - Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:58

Saturday, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:58
Hi Bruce,

Yes, they did reweld new shackle hangers further back. We didn't have another problem on the trip but the manufacturers comments about whether the new position would suit the trailer when it's not under such a heavy load concerns me! Now that I have a bit more information we'll be in a better position to confront him about this and we'll be having another good look over the rest of the trailer.

I spent the whole trip to Fraser looking at the mirrors trying to make sure everything looked ok so I know what you mean about worrying about what else could go wrong...

Thanks,
Jess
FollowupID: 684345

Sponsored Links