Jessica Watson

Submitted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 22:35
ThreadID: 78154 Views:3543 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
For those interested in her progress, All the 22,000 nautical miles she's travelled , our waters are giving her a hard time down near Tassie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, April 29, 2010
The swell is still pretty big but overall conditions are much more pleasant today. The drogue got winched in at dawn which turned out to be a lot easier than I was expecting and since then Ella's Pink Lady's been flying along
across the waves with only a little sail up. I've been catching up on a bit of sleep today, re-charging my batteries while I can.

So that was the good news. The bad news is that there's MORE rubbish weather headed our way. After looking at the weather charts showing this new low pressure system expected over the weekend, I'll admit I had to dig real deep to stay cool about it all. Right now I've got more than a few bruises and sore muscles. Overall I feel pretty drained and would kill for some easy sailing but seeing as that's not what I'm going to get I'm just going to have to toughen up some more and deal with it!

It helps a lot knowing that Ella's Pink Lady was built to take this and having Bob's great weather updates. As long as I keep myself fed and rested, there's no reason that I can't take anything on. Also, for some reason or another, it really does help knowing that's there's tonnes of people thinking of me out here, so thanks guys!

READ MORE 1st MAY

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 01:57

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 01:57
she is a brave young kid , have followed some of her progress , but wish her all the best and smooth sailing to sydney , she deserves all accolades along with those who helprd her negotiate this voyage, congrats to them all
AnswerID: 415065

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 04:04

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 04:04
Been keeping an eye on her here in the USA.

Her younger rival Abby Sutherland has dropped out and is headed for Cape Town for repairs and then she will set off again.

Hope to be able to pick up her entrance into Sydney Harbour on the internet as I think it will be quite a sight to see.

Bruce

Currently in San Diego

FollowupID: 685243

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 09:47

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 09:47
So often teenagers cop the flack as too much exposure is given to the ones like a remark was made about a few days ago "had more piercings than brain cells". Every one of us came up 'through the ranks' ( I suggest that a six year stint in the regular army assisted in sorting me out as well as sky dive-ing) while in those tender, early teen years, we search for identity. Some teens are fortunate, as per Jessica Watson, to bite the bullet and 'make it happen' as a solo adventurer. Only after we have conquered fear, endurance and isolation will we ever really find out just who we really are and where we rate ourselves on a scale of 1-10. Our rating is the one which will strengthen our character for the rest of our days, not some outsiders version. Maybe we should adhere to the slogan by some wise person "no one can make me feel inferior without my permission" and we may just see the person in the mirror in a whole new light. Go Jesse.! Have been with you all the way and will be a ship mate until you tie up in Sydney.
AnswerID: 415080

Reply By: Member - Porl - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 11:51

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 11:51
I read today in the Courier Mail, apparently there were cameras all over the Ella and including one fixed to the top mast. I think all the footage is owned by Network Ten for the One channel. That will make an incredible story and I suspect will rate up there as one of the most watched aussie shows ever, with 4 story waves, multiple roll overs, the animals that became her friends, not to mention she scrapes up quite well on the photogenic stakes.
AnswerID: 415091

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 14:30

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 14:30
She is a great young lady that is for sure, I check her blog every day. the forecasters are saying that another low pressure system is due by Tuesday and will be bigger than all the rest. When Jessica gets home she will deserive all the accolades put apond her. And I bet all the high flying people who said she should not go will be the first to want to be seen with her. I went on a Brisbane talk back show after she was hit by the ship and said, she has just proven to me that she can handle her self and her vessel, why? to be able to get the mast and rigging back on board and get it back to port her self will be the biggest feat she will come across. I know how hard it is as I broke a mast once but I was luck I had two others on board to help me.
AnswerID: 415103

Sponsored Links