Where to carry a <span class="highlight">generator</span> nd solar panels

Hi
I have two questions which I hope some one can help with.

Q1. I have a 120w solar panel on my van and in August I plan to go on one of those gold prospecting tag alongs. The panle is mounted on the roof.

What I am wandering is if the 120w solar panel will be enough to keep my van going - I will be running a fridge, some lights and I guess a water pump.

I am hoping to last about 9 days.

Does this seem reasonable - I have not had a chance to test it over an extended period yet.

Q2. If the above does not seem viable I may look at getting a generator for this and other trips. My question is where is it safe to carry it. I was thinking of in the back of the car but am concerned over fumes.

In the long term I will look at fitting in to the van but am concerned over ball weight and being able to open the car door if I mount it to the a frame, so seeing if the car is an option.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By:- Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:48

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 22:48
Gday Richard what sort of fridge are you running,and what type and how big
is the battery,cant answer question 2 until you give us some info back about 1
???
AnswerID: 420837

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 23:46

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 23:46
Hi Richard

We used to run our previous van from an 80 w portable solar panel charging one deep cycle battery; 120 litre upright compressor fridge and lights. Worked well even though the panel was only put out when we stopped to camp. 120 w should do the trick (assuming it is a compressor not 3 way fridge).

When we purchased the genny to run the air con in our present caravan, we took it in the back of the Patrol that trip. We could smell petrol when on bumpy roads. It now resides in a box on the a-frame, but it sounds like you have a small van. However so long as the weather is fine, you should have plenty of power for your fridge. When inland the nights are usually cool so if the battery is low, you can turn the fridge off overnight without any harm.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 420844

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:18

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 08:18
Richard,

Suggest have a look at our blog Electricity for Camping where electricity requirements and charging options (and lots of other things) are discussed.

As already said, provided your fridge is a compressor type and not a 3 way one, and you have plenty of battery capacity, and the sun shines for you, your 120W panel should go pretty close to meeting your needs.

We carry 145W of solar capacity and 200 Ah of storage. We've never stayed stationary for 9 days and the batteries are charging whenever we are moving, so can't be too sure what to expect in your case. I suspect that you may not last a full 9 days - marginal at best. Certainly you will need to aim your panel roughly at the sun, so it will need to be aligned a few times a day.

If you have a 3 way fridge, by running that on gas, you'll have ample electricity for other purposes.

I'd suggest avoid the generator with its smell, weight, noise, cost and storage issues. I'd be inclined to spend a lot less, on some extra solar capacity and possibly storage. Carrying two panels is little harder than carrying one, and an extra 60 or 80 watts capacity would be more than ample.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 420858

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:46

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:46
Hi Richard

Ideally being all solar would be nice but from my experience the weather just does not allow that to happen especially in August.

I have 120w of solar for my camper and even at Xmas we stayed for 9 days in one spot but still needed to run the generator. I was vigilant in aiming my solar panel at the sun but we were camping with our teenage sons so power usage was high.

We were running 3 engel fridges, mutlple LED lights, multiple chargers, and other odd stuff.

The new 1kva honda or yamaha are very quiet and last a long time on one tank. If possible I would have a storage box built on the draw bar. I am lucky enough to be able to fit my generator inside my camper with a jerry can next to it.

If you were only stopping for 1 or 2 days then moving on your would not need a generator. The car would top up any loss that solar missed out on.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 420873

Reply By: Ian & Chris - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 16:56
Hi Richard,

No advice to offer re the solar panel but a little experience with my own generator.

I have a Honda eu10. This unit travels in the back of the wagon in the original carton. The fuel cap is vented with an "open" and a "closed" position. We have never experienced any petrol smells inside the vehicle other than one very hot day when I had neglected flicking the vent lever to the "closed" position.

Ian
AnswerID: 420915

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:29
I agree Carried my EU20 for 50,000k in the back of the Croozer. Used it once!!!!!!.

Never noticed the smell and made sure cap was "closed"

I do know about the rules.

FollowupID: 691189

Reply By: Member - Richard C (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 21:29
Thanks for all the replies.

Juts a bit of info

my van has 2x 120 amp hour batteries
The fridge is a 12v 80 litre fridge, all lighting is LED and I do have a hot water pump which runs off the batteries as well - if required.

It has been suggested by some one else that I could store the generator in the front compartment of the van. As again a bit worried about fumes but it would fit.

Richard
AnswerID: 420975

Sponsored Links