Sunday History Photo / Qld

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 07:23
ThreadID: 80285 Views:5315 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be Found
French-built Purrey steam trams provided municipal transport in Rockhampton from 1909 until they were replaced by buses in 1939.
While only a few cities still have functional tram systems, trams were a common sight in many Australian cities in the century from the mid-1800s. Some were horse drawn, others used steam power and still others were electricallypowered before almost universally succumbing to rubber-tired diesel-powered buses. Rockhampton's steam-powered trams began operating 24 years after Brisbane developed a horse-drawn system and 12 years after Brisbane switched to electric power. As well, the Frenchbuilt Purrey trams were unique in Australia, although they had been adopted by cities in
several European countries and Argentina.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
There had apparently been several proposals for tram systems in Rockhampton prior to a late 1907 ratepayer poll and Council decision to proceed. HC Stanley, a Queensland Government consulting engineer, had been commissioned to carry out a tramway study and had seen the Purrey system operating in Paris. While an electric system might have been superior, the Council felt that they could afford the selfpropelled steam cars, promoted as being clean (coke powered), neat and comfortable. The 3' 6" (1067mm, the same as QR) gauge system opened on 5 June 1909 with five cars, one of which was a maintenance vehicle with side-tipping ballast bunkers. Unfortunately, breakdowns were common in the early days because of impure water damaging the boiler tubes, the lack of spare parts, etc. The ballast vehicle was soon converted to passenger use and additional vehicles were ordered, bringing the fleet to eight cars and three trailers. The fleet was expanded by another steam tram and three trailers when the Wandal route was added in 1922. While one tram was built with closed sides, it was converted to match the other 'toast-rack' or open sided cars. Just over 26' (8m) in length, the cars had canvas blinds for weather protection and carried 48 passengers on wooden slatted cross seats.
Queensland Railways used two Purrey cars for suburban trains to Lakes Creek and Parkhurst from 1922 to 1930, when buses took over. The municipal system had continual financial problems and increasing competition from buses, bicycles and motor cars. In 1938 Council finally called for tenders on a bus fleet which started arriving early in 1939. The trams ceased on 24 June 1939 after 30 years of service.
Ticket prices in 1920; Child 1d per journey; Adult 1d per section
Nine tramcars and six trailers in the fleet
Unluckiest was No.15, involved in 3 separate fatalities.
Last to operate was No. 6
Carried over 40 million passengers
Collected more than £350,000 in fares
Travelled more than 4.5 million miles
Image Could Not Be Found
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 08:42
G'day, Doug.

Another very informative Sunday History lesson.

This one has a personal link as I remember my dad telling me about the steam trams when he was a kid at Allenstown State School (early 1920s) in Rocky. I'd never previously seen any photos of them, so it's filled in yet another gap in my knowledge!

From my own time of living in Rocky (early 60s), I seem to remember that there were a set of tram lines left in the bitumen near the main gate into the Gardens. Must get back there and check it out.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Chris.
AnswerID: 425137

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:26

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:26
One tram has been "reconstructed" (there wasn't much left), and can be seen and ridden at the Archer Park Rail Museum in Rockhampton.

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 425184

Reply By: Marion - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 21:14

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 21:14
Hi Doug another great and informative read, thanks a million, cheers Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 425206

Sponsored Links