<span class="highlight">Yowah</span> QLD to Quilpie Road?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:05
ThreadID: 80860 Views:4506 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday...
We will be travelling from Yowah to Toompine and then onto Quilpie QLD end of next week towing our 23ft 'black-top' caravan.
The maps indicate there is about 80-100km of 'unsealed highway' south of Toompine.
Has anyone travelled this route recently and is able to comment on the condition and 'type' of 'unsealed highway'.
Understand fully the impact of rain (and know there has been rain in these parts recently - and future rains may alter from today) but just interested in how well formed the dirt road is.
We are experienced and have a Discovery tug - just not confident on dragging such a big 'black-top' modern van if it is a chopped-up type of road.
Interested in comments and advice.
Cheers
Julie & John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:09

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:09
Give me 24 hours and I should have an answer for you ;)

My parents are out that way at the moment and travelled from Quilpie to Thargomindah during the week. Can't seem to get them on the phone at the moment :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 427949

Reply By: Nomad Navara - Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:40

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 18:40
Travelled through there approx 2 months ago, narrow bitumen all the way,map not up todate as ours wasn't..Free camping & power outside Toompine Hotel,see Jones'y at the pub first.Cheap meals also,great menagerie of animals,enjoy.
AnswerID: 427953

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 20:10

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 20:10
http://131940.qld.gov.au/ have a look at this site ( hope it comes up for you) anyway as of yesterday that road was closed, due to the recent rain. We are heading that way in 4 weeks please let us know if you go that way and the road conditions please
AnswerID: 427962

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 23:38

Saturday, Aug 21, 2010 at 23:38
Julie & John

Can't say how it is now but we were up there 12 months ago and the 80km stretch of gravel starts a few km past the Quilpie turnoff. It was OK then with the usual bit & pieces of corrugated sections and we didn't have any issues.

Obviously the rain has made a big difference, just pointing out we got through fine with the Subir & Compac at the bottom.

Thargomindah was very interesting and we continued on through Nockatunga, Tibooburra and on to Broken Hill. The trip was fine and all I had to do was avoid those 'few' big combo 4WD & vans that decided 110kph was fine.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 427983

Follow Up By: dingbat - Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 08:33

Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 08:33
Hi-am in Thargomindah at moment, drove from Quilpie via Toompine and the dirt yesterday. The road from Quilpie to Toompine is completely sealed, although single lane in some spots, south of Toompine towards Thargomindah its only 43k of very good dirt. Easy for our 17' poptop onroader, was in the 4wd but our coomodore would have easily done it as well. However it was closed due to rain a day or so ago. I believe the road from Eulo via Yowah(its a small detour), and Toompine is completely sealed.

just do it its great
FollowupID: 698685

Sponsored Links