Diesel Heater Problem

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 26, 2010 at 20:43
ThreadID: 80976 Views:9721 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. My brother has asked me to post this query for him to see if he can find a solution.

"I’m looking for some help with my Dometic Diesel heater which is 15 months old and its broken down 3 times.

I’ve sent back to Dometic for repairs as it keeps bogging up with carbon and blows white smoke after about 3 months of continuous use of about 15hrs per day but they say there is nothing wrong with it, clean it and send it back and in another 3 months it’s back for another clean out.

I get the feeling there is something wrong with the Fuel injector not atomising the fuel which doesn’t allow it to burn cleanly. They also tell me it has to be serviced every 500hrs but this is not mentioned in the service manual and after writing to them regarding this never got a reply.

Does anyone else had this problem with their Diesel heater? Have they used it as much as we have and not had any problems with it?

Dometic will not fix it from now on under warranty and will charge for repairs and cleaning.
As it cost us $3200 installed, I’m not impressed with its reliability and their attitude to their product. Probably should have bought a Webasto as other people travelling have told me they don’t have the same problems with these units.
This is very inconvenient when we are on the road full time and need the heater working for all camping out we do."

Thanks for any information. Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Grace Doomadgee - Thursday, Aug 26, 2010 at 21:31

Thursday, Aug 26, 2010 at 21:31
i am a little bit green as to what it is on and/or being used for but at 15 hours per day for 3 solid months i would expect it to be carboned up with diesel as a fuel ..... 15 hours per day is pretty heavy use
Could try a "rich" shot of diesel injector cleaner throught it every 3 months
AnswerID: 428556

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 06:42

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 06:42
Hi Joe. It is a caravan heater in a 24ft van. They travel full time and have been down the SW of WA for winter so it has been run continuously overnight. The injector sprays fuel through a gauze screen about the size of a pea and it is the screen the seems to become carboned up. Bob
FollowupID: 699279

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:13

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 08:13
Toyocrusa you might be better asking on the caravan forum or the CMCA forum as plenty of motorhomes and vans have them. I seem to remember that they need to run a very hot cycle to self clean at regular intervals, or maybe the unit is supposed to do this automatically. I intend to install one and have been following info on these units as well as speaking to users on the road and most are positive.
AnswerID: 428583

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:05

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:05
http://www.caravanersforum.com/index.php

try this mob
FollowupID: 699303

Reply By: Faulic_McVitte - Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 16:40

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 16:40
Reason why you dont buy Dometic equipment. Service and spare parts prices are H O R R I F I C. Our new motorhome will have no Dometic, Waeco, Sealand, Eberspacher, Truma, Heki, Smev equipment as they are all owned by Dometic.

The heater can be cleaned yourself. Have you got the service manual?
If you read the service manual you can add percentage of petrol to the diesel. Suggest you try that to prevent carbon and burn hotter.

Many of my motorhome friends Dometic Eberspacher heaters have packed it in. 1 friend chucked the Dometic Eberspacher heater out and installed Webasto. My motorhome friends with Webasto all run trouble free.
AnswerID: 428634

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 19:55

Friday, Aug 27, 2010 at 19:55
Thanks Guys. Your suggestions have been a great help. Bob.
AnswerID: 428664

Reply By: beezmilk - Tuesday, Sep 14, 2010 at 14:34

Tuesday, Sep 14, 2010 at 14:34
the wesbasto diesel heaters have been used in the last two generations of Mercedes ambulances here in NSW. They do work well when they are working, but do often seem to be in at the workshop for repairs. we use seven or eight of these in Dubbo and i would say that each winter 3-4 of them go back to the workshop because they stop working.
michael.
AnswerID: 430291

Sponsored Links