<span class="highlight">Goomburra</span> at Christmas

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 31, 2010 at 17:28
ThreadID: 81073 Views:3011 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hello everyone,
I've been reading all I can find on Goomburra Campground and Gordon's Country. Has anyone been up that way over Christmas/New Year? We're looking for somewhere cooler than the coast for a week over the holidays and wondered what the weather is like - is it cooler as it is higher up? We shall be coming from Flaxton (Blackall Range) Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 17:04

Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 17:04
We have not stayed at the National Park campground but we have friends who have camped there every year from Boxing Day to New Year for years and love it. They say it is quiet and cooler than Brisbane then. Last Christmas they had quite a lot of rain but that was the ending of ten years drought! At that time of year you would have to be prepared for the possibility of rain. The campground is not very large so may get full later - I think you have to book on line through National Parks Qld anyway nowdays. When we visited it was nearly empty, well grassed and shady and close to several lovely walks. There is a composting toilet and taps labelled non potable water. This year there could be fire restrictions.
We have stayed at the privately owned Goomburra Valley Campground just down the road about three years ago (they welcomed our dog) and it was excellent, very spacious, on the river with good amenities and firepits etc. We have met people who love Gordon's Country and it looks good for real bush camping with minimum facilities away from crowds. We have looked at it but not stayed there. I am not sure how many of their camping areas would take a caravan if that is what you have. Lynne
AnswerID: 429111

Follow Up By: rmg55 - Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 17:31

Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 17:31
Thanks Lynne, that's the information I was looking for. The National Park campgrounds, Poplar Flats and Manna Gums, are both meant to be able to take caravans (we have a full off road 17.5 ft van, with solar ) so this is probably where we will go. The other possibility is Bunya Mountains - Dandabah Camp ground. They have a few bookings already for that period where as Goomburra doesn't have any. We know the Bunyas are definitely cooler then. Thanks again for your response. Merril.
FollowupID: 699836

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 20:41

Wednesday, Sep 01, 2010 at 20:41
Have you thought of here Janowen Hills
We delivered the shower block there years ago and got the truck stuck. One would think because its so close to home we would have camped there but not yet.
AnswerID: 429133

Follow Up By: rmg55 - Thursday, Sep 02, 2010 at 12:38

Thursday, Sep 02, 2010 at 12:38
Looked at their website and it looks a great place for the 4wd enthusiasts. We've been there and done that for many years on Fraser Island. These days we prefer bush walks and quieter places. As Janowen Hills is in the valley maybe it would not be as cool as the National Park, or are the camping areas in the valley too? Gordon's Country sounds nice too. Merril.
FollowupID: 699914

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Thursday, Sep 02, 2010 at 21:10

Thursday, Sep 02, 2010 at 21:10
I'm not quite sure but I think its opposite the little store before you enter the National Park. Just a thought if the national park is a bit full.
FollowupID: 699976

Sponsored Links