Voltage output EU2 Honda <span class="highlight">generator</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:10
ThreadID: 81479 Views:4364 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
General Outline:
Currently I have a battery charging problem and are trying to isolate the fault. It could be the Honda generator or the battery charger.

Situation:
Battery charger is a TC4012 Xantrex and the generator is as above. The charger being 40 amps and this is putting power into 4 x 120 AGM batteries.

If the generator output exceeds 265 volts, the charger will shut down. Currently it putting out 243 Volts and all other EU2's in the camp ground are the same ( + or - 2 volts).

Question:
1, Has anyone had expereince with a honda putting out too many volts?

2, Can the generator be adjusted (by someone like me camped in the middle of the boonies) , can a service agent adjust the power output or is it just fixed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 13:04

Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 13:04
I wouldnt think 3 volts would make any difference really. After all your house power goes anywhere from 214 to 245 volts at times.

At least it does at my place.

AnswerID: 431059

Reply By: Battery Value Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 13:15

Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 13:15
Carl,

I assume you turn your charger off during gennie startup?

Even inverter style gennies can spike during startup which could trip the charger into over-voltage shutdown.

Did you actually measure the 265VAC, and if yes, what was connected to the gennie at that moment?

BTW, if the sine wave becomes more square due to overload or some internal fault, the multimeter will show a higher voltage although the actual peak voltage (the one which is critical for switch mode loads such as your charger) may remain unchanged.
E.g. if the sine changes to a perfect square wave, the multimeter will show 339V, instead of 240V, althogh the peak voltages are the same in both cases namely 339V.

If the charger actually does shut down due to over-voltage on its input, for this the peak voltage needs to be higher than 339V plus some margin.
This would point to a serious fault within the gennie.

Sorry, don't know how to adjust the voltage set points on your gennie :(

cheers, Peter
AnswerID: 431063

Reply By: Glenndini - Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 14:15

Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 14:15
It's unclear to me exactly what your problem is. You have stated that the charger will shut down if the voltage it is connected to exceeds 265V.

Are you saying that the charger is actually shutting down during charging?

If it is, then how are you ascertaining that this shut down is due to over voltage?

How do you know the generator is outputting exactly 243V? If it is (and I doubt very much if you have the means to measure RMS voltage this accurately) then this is well within the bounds of measurement accuracy and spec.
AnswerID: 431069

Follow Up By: dbish - Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 15:13

Wednesday, Sep 22, 2010 at 15:13
Hi Carl, If your meter is reading the same on other generators then I would asume yours is ok voltage wise. I dont know of any digital inverter generator having a voltage ajustment, The circuitry is all set in a resin block. If it is faulty its almost as cheep to buy a new genny. Last price I saw for a Yamaha genny Inverter module was $1500. Daryl
FollowupID: 701833

Reply By: Member - Carl- Thursday, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:09

Thursday, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:09
Sorry my post might appear misleading so I will state my problem another way. I think you have all collectively answered my question anyway.

I have been reading voltage on a multimeter. Perhaps this reading is not as accurate as I imagine?

In speaking with Xantrex, My battery charger will shut down once the voltage exceeds 265 volts. Currently my gennie is running fine and the charger is also running fine (this is when I measured it at 243 volts)..

I did not know that they might spike above this (255 volts) at startup. I have been starting the generator without the charger attached and things appear fine. So perhaps this was my problem?

My understanding now is that the voltage can not be adjusted and if it is playing up, repairs are similar to a new gennie anyway. Bugger that part.

Thanks everyone for the help. Carl
AnswerID: 431185

Sponsored Links