Traction control in Prado

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 21:25
ThreadID: 81772 Views:2665 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I know the basis of it is to stop certain wheels spinning when losing traction, applying the ABS to which ever wheel is spinning. I did a Watagans trip last week and we had heaps of rain so obviously certain parts of the trip were extremly slippery. I noticed when all 4 wheels were in the mud and I accelerated all 4 wheels were spinning together, BUT if I put say one side on the grass (not as slippery) the ones in the mud would set off the traction control.So Im presuming that because all wheels were spinning at the same time (centre diff locked) that the traction control unit would be thinking that all four wheels are turning at the exact same time due to the mud that it wouldnt activate the traction control ?? I have tried under certain driving conditions like say a sharp left taking off from a stand still and give it a gutfull the left front will activate the traction control and the lights on the dash indicate which wheel lost traction. Does this sound correct. I would have thought in mud it would do the same but too my thinking if the centre diff is locked 50/50 power front and rear and all 4 wheels spinning together then there is no difference in traction on any corner ??? Regards Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: patsproule - Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 21:32

Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 21:32
The system simply looks for a significant difference in wheel speeds. If it is in centre diff-lock then it only compares wheel speed across each axle. If not in diff lock then it compares all 4 corners with each other and applies brakes to the faster spinning ones.

Pat
AnswerID: 432359

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 21:50

Thursday, Oct 07, 2010 at 21:50
Hi Kimba

If all wheels where turning then there is nothing a traction can do anyway - or locked diffs for that matter.

Its correct that they react to differential speed between the wheels.

Observed same thing with the Prado we had bogged in a mud test previous week.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 432364

Reply By: Danger Mouse - Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:34

Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 12:34
Kimba, I think you'll find that when you engage the centre diff lock, it deacivates the traction control. That is the situation with my Sahara.
AnswerID: 432412

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 14:17

Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 14:17
Hi there Danger Mouse, no myn only turns off the stability control once I hit the centre diff lock button, unfortunately on the prado the traction control is on all the time wether centre diff locked/unlocked/high or low range its always active. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 703225

Follow Up By: Danger Mouse - Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 14:23

Friday, Oct 08, 2010 at 14:23
Well, There you go! You learn something new every day! Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, what model prado do you have? My father has a 120 series Grande TD - though I have never had this conversation with him... maybe I should!
FollowupID: 703228

Sponsored Links