How safe is your inverter

HOW SAFE IS YOUR INVERTER????
HI All

Below has been reposted with permission from another forum.
It again reinforces the fact that inverters can be life threatening.

"by neil-w56481 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I am wondering if anyone else has had the same issue that I have found. Our 2005 built Motor home has 2 RCDs so I assumed, wrongly as it turns out, that we had full RCD protection to all 240 power outlets. This was found out by a tradesman working on the motor home (he is now OK after 2 days in hospital). It seems that unless the built in inverter is disconnected then the RCDs are by passed. It appears the inverter is wired to the wrong side of the RCD so there will always be unprotected 240 power. The electrician has now installed another RCD on the outlet of the inverter and we are now fully protected. He says much safer and cheaper to add another RCD than try and track down the original wiring.
I just wonder how many others out there are traveling in the belief they are RCD protected and in fact they are not. We are fortunate it did not take a fatality to find out.
Neil[end quote]

Peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:37

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:37
I still dont believe that you are fully protected if you are relying on RCD's for inverters. This is because the RCD opeerates for a leakage to earth and assumes that the system is MEN'd. And your inverter simply isnt.

I may be corrected and I am in no way suggesting an inverter should be earthed, but I reckon I should do some more research on this.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 433248

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:45

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:45
Hi Bonz

The system does not have to be MENed
It does require an earthed neutral which should not have a connection to ground [terra firma ] in the case of RV use
Of course nothing can protect you fromcontact between active & neutral.

A better solution now available is a "universal RVD" .
IT does not require an earthed neutral for operation

Peter
FollowupID: 704092

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:48

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 11:48
hi All

The article in the side panel has some errors in the safety section which I have reported to the OZ team
Peter
FollowupID: 704093

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:36

Saturday, Oct 16, 2010 at 20:36
Hi Bonz

I should have added, yes you are correct a RCD cannot function with a fully isolated PORTABLE genny or inverter
However a permanently wired & installed inverter / genny should be wired for the RCD to be operational.

Peter
FollowupID: 704155

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 00:06

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 00:06
Hi
This section of the article is the one that SHOULD BE CORRECTED

quote"a Safety Switch (or Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker - ELCB or Residual Current Device - RCD) to cut off power quickly if someone touches the 240 volt while earthed - but many Inverters do NOT have them. Safety Switches will only protect against electrocution to earth if you connect the Earth Terminal on the Inverter to an earthing rod that has a good earth connection - a rod into dry sand is useless.
TIP Always use a Safety Switch at the Inverter if one isn’t built in - it’s very cheap protection against a fatality. endquote]

Connecting the earth terminal of the inverter to an earth stake will not make the RCD functional
"An earth stake is neither required or recommended "under the Aus standards,
for several very good reasons.!!
A plug in RCD IS NOT Functional

Only a correctly permanently wired & permantently fitted RCD is acceptable
Peter
FollowupID: 704171

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 21:52

Sunday, Oct 17, 2010 at 21:52
HI All

The question of HOW SAFE IS YOUR INVERTER MAY BE VERY RELEVANT to any who have a Mastervolt DAKAR COMBI inverter/charger
After A few PMs between Neil/Woolman & myself the answer is now clear.
These units are designed for Automatic change over from mains to inverter if no mains 240 input is connected

However one over thing they do is Change what is a fully isolated inverter to an earthed neutral inverter [ non isolated]
Done via the Auto switching
In such an arrangement the maker stipulates an ELCB is required
THIS EN LINK CAN BE REMOVED TO MAINTAIN A FULLY ISOLATED UNIT IF REQUIRED
It is becoming obvious that the installer did not have a clue.

I have suggested to Neil that, since sorting the wiring out & reconnecting may not be easy,to go with his sparks suggestion for an extra rcd but make sure it permanently wired & fixed to the inverter

It is a bit alarming that many more may be in a similar situation to Neil

I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST TO ANYONE WHO HAS AN INVERTER [which if they are not CERTAIN is a fully isolated type] PERMANTENTLY FITTED TO HAVE ALL POWER POINTS CHECKED FOR CORRECT OPERATION OF THE RCD WHEN ON INVERTER POWER
Peter

FollowupID: 704323

Sponsored Links