Conway's Kids

Submitted: Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 09:03
ThreadID: 82117 Views:5033 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Member Marc Luther B asked me on another thread last week to post about Conways Kids and today seems the right time after reading a story on news.com HERE

We visited Kings Creek Station in the Northern Territory, about 35 k's east of Kings Canyon Resort. Ian and Lyn Conway run a great station here, very tourist friendly with many ways to spend your days. The staff are a great lot too, especially a fellow named Leroy, what a character! If you're travelling the Mereenie Loop, consider Kings Creek Station, even if it's just a camel ride or a quad bike ride, some fuel or a cuppa. They do a beaut Camel Burger too!

We paid to see a show that is run nightly, put on by the staff and revolving around stock camp life and the life and times of Ian and Lyn, in particular Ian's family tree. Ian is proudly of aboriginal heritage, and these days, as well as running his station, he and Lyn have devoted a great deal of their time and also their money to helping out the people of a local aboriginal community. The clan is known as the Ukaka (pronounced "Oo-karkar") How do you help a remote community like this and be reasonably confident not only of success for this generation, but instill a sense of commitment to future generations? Education of course! So Ian and Lyn are tackling this on two fronts.

At present they have five teen-aged children at boarding schools in Adelaide, these kids could barely speak English when they arrived at the schools, most city people would consider them illiterate for that, yet they speak fluently in 3, 4 or more aboriginal languages. That puts a new twist on the illiteracy thing doesn't it? These kids are excelling at their schools, and have plans and goals just like the rest of us, except that those goals are very much important for the future of their people. It's a big effort and is costing around $40,000 per child per annum to fund! This is mostly being funded by the Conway's, along with help from donations. There is little or no government funding as far as I am aware at present. I am happy to be corrected on that.

The other part is that Ian is teaching the Ukaka to run a self sufficient camel farm. Australia has the highest population of camels in the world at present and Kings Creek Station sell camels to the middle east, Europe and America. Ian is teaching the Ukaka men to farm camels, sell them to the market, run their business properly and pay their taxes. It's creating a new hope in a place that previously had little!

Their story can be see at the following web sites....

Conways Kids

Kings Creek Station

And the video on this site is well worth watching, from Australian Story on ABC

Unfinished Business

Gayleen and I have donated, and are at the moment putting together a self published book of our recent outback adventure. Primarily the book will be for loan out to our 4WD club mates, (Gold Coast Four Wheel Drive Club) for a donation to the cause, but a few clubbies have asked to buy a copy, so I am working out a fair price that will cover the costs involved and add a small donation to Conways Kids. At some stage down the track I might advertise it here on EO, as a means of generating some much needed help for this worthy cause.

In closing, I realize that this is a drop in the ocean as it were, that there are many clans out there that need a helping hand. And please don't confuse the people on the streets of Alice Springs and Coober Pedy etc etc, with clans like the Ukaka. They lead a different life, these genuine bush communities are the ones Ian is trying to help. We often see ads on TV of the wonderful work that is being done for starving kids overseas, but we have kids living in third world conditions in Australia! We should tend to our own first IMHO

Every little bit helps, it's just giving a little bit back to the outback!

Regards

Brian

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 09:35

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 09:35
G/Day Brian

What you are doing is great, we would be happy to purchase a book when it comes available, I agree not enough dollars go to the genuine needy out there, we should look after our own in Australia first before others over seas, most of that money is spent on administration.

Cheers
AnswerID: 434136

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:54

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:54
G'day Daza,
Thanks mate, but I really can't take credit, I'm just trying to spread the word on what I think is a great cause.... one that has certainly touched me anyway!
I'll let everyone know when the book is ready.
Scouts Honour!!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705211

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:12

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:12
Hi Brian

Would you know if there are any 4wd tracks to explore on that station - its a must for us in any trip plans - I looked at the web site but it does not say anything about this.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 434142

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:59

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:59
G'day Robin,

Not sure about that, but I will look into it.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705212

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:50

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:50
Hi Robin,

South of the station it is pretty ordinary country. There is tracks however you won't see much. I did follow the track by the creek until it petered out about 30 kilometres from Lake Amadeus, but it was not a vehicular challenge. Ian knows where Worrils Pass and Glen Thirsty are near the lake, he might show an organised group I'm not sure.

North of the station is hilly range country with some tracks. All off limits however once again Ian & Co may grant permission to drive. There is a track going around the western side of the range past Carmicheals Crag. This is in National Park and the rangers don't like people to go in there. It was here I lost two tyres within half a second by the same loose boulder, had trouble getting back out. I'm not sure how far the track goes (could check on Google Earth). This one could be the challenge I think you are seeking.

Very beautiful country.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 705266

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 21:28

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 21:28
THanks Equinox , not that I am really looking for a vehicle breaking challenge its more about simply being able to free range explore.

Some places I have been to try and corral you into a big carpark and allow you to go on a couple of organized tours , which really for us destroy the exploring experience which many parts of the country still have with few strings atached.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 705272

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:00

Tuesday, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:00
Hi Robin,
Reading th above, I see Equinox has much more track knowledge than I do of that area, but I CAN recommend the Kings Canyon walks if you haven't done it already. The rim walk is a little hard, but so worthwhile for the sheer beauty of the rock formations and the scenery from the top. An absolute must-do IMHO! Camel rides and quad bike rides on the property are a must as well, and they can do scenic flights and helicopter rides if that's of interest. Kings Creek Station is less "guided" touristy orientated" IMO than the resort.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705307

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:17

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:17
A week or so back, David & Michelle were looking for ideas for a location for the 2012 national EO gathering.

I suggested somewhere near Alice Springs, so why not investigate the possibility of having it at Kings Creek Station.

Lots to do and see nearby, a chance for members to interact with the local community, and a great way to help the Conway's cause.

Brian, look forward to reading your book when it's available.

Fred.
AnswerID: 434143

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:05

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:05
Fred that's a good idea, worth some thought.
FollowupID: 705181

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:01

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:01
Fred!

A GREAT idea!
I'll look into it and see what they say out there...... I can't speak for them of course but I am confident they would welcome the EO crew!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705213

Reply By: Member - Marc Luther B (WA) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:23

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:23
Hi Brian

Yes my friend I did ask you to post such a thread. I haven't had much opportunity to have a look through the material on the Internet, and I will happily purchase a book when you get them done, that is a confirmed purchase when you get them printed.

Obviously I am very biased when it comes to this kind of thing. I have never hidden the fact that my wife is a Kukutja/Martu tirbal woman, and it made us feel so damned good to see people (be they black or white) standing up and beiong counted so to speak.

I love the suggested idea of a gathering there, it would increase the financial base for Ian and Lyn Conway, whom I have never met, but what they are doing sounds fantastic. I can relate to t6he language issue, as my grandkids all speak Kukutja, Martu, Gija, Walmajarri, Walpiri and Pintupi, but I think only one of them has fluency in English. (Yep, they are "formally" uneducated).

The ABC stated some years ago that tribal languages are almost extinct, that may be correct in cities and on the coast, but in desert areas, there are still more than 1500 languages spoken. What is Universal in Aboriginal culture is the artwork (old style), and even though people did not speak the same languages, they understood the "written word", which was in the art work and the like.

Thankyou Brian for affording the people the chance to see that there are people like the Conways, willing to do something.

Cheers
Why travel overseas, you could travel Australia your entire life, and not see it all.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 434149

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:09

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:09
G'day Marc,

I am happy to be able to spread the word, it's a worthy cause in my opinion. I spent two nights at the Stock Camp Show, the second night we attended because Ian himself was conducting the talk on his family and the reasons behind their involvement with these kids. Ian and Lyn are very passionate about this, and it brought tears to my eyes to see how these people love and care for their fellow man. Why can't everyone be like this?

I will keep you posted on how things are going, and I'll follow up the 2012 gathering idea with them.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705215

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:45

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:45
Yep that's my backside on the camel when Australian Story showed the tourist side of their business 2 years ago.

I am amazed that on the Forum people don't seem to understand why I recommend they stay at Kings Ck Station over the Kings Canyon resort, even though I to explain that apart from being Land owners/ custodians they employ people who actually have some idea of the district, not just European backpackers. Nothing wrong with the resort, it's just the Station is so special.

Meeting the Conways was the highlight of our central Oz trip and must be one of the best charities I have seen.
AnswerID: 434151

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:13

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:13
Excellent Mark!

I recommend KCS over the resort as well, as you said it's a nice enough place, but they don't miss your wallet though..... we paid $6:15 for a two litre milk!!
I'd rather spend the money at the Station and enjoy the bush setting rather than the caravan park atmosphere of the resort anyway.

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705217

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:53

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:53
We stayed at Kings Creek Station in 2004 (I think it was) - just loved it - much nicer than the usual run of the mill elsewhere - we had an individual campspot with fireplace - made damper - bush camping with conveniences - even tho some people in a Britz camper were very loud till someone pulled their power lead out - then blissfull peace and quiet - have recommended it to others, and would definitely go there again myself.
AnswerID: 434153

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:16

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:16
Hi Julie,

yep, have to agree, we're planning another adventure out that way in 2012.... might have to plan it to connect with the national gathering! Regardless, we'll be back to Kings Creek Station for sure!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705219

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:41

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 16:41
Are these places loaded into Places? If not, any of you are welcome to Add a New Place and it would be great to have all this info mentioned in the post not get lost in the big black hole of archived forum posts by putting it in the active Places database for future people planning trips in the area using the mapping, to see it pop up in front of them as an alternative to the KIngs Canyon resort etc.
We have some volunteer Place administrators but not sure who is available to do this, but since anyone can create a new place thought I'd offer that out to all of you, as it is better to get the info from those that have been there - I have not.

Thanks, Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 434170

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:19

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 17:19
Hi Michelle,
You know, I have never thought about doing that, and yet we looked at the Places page when planning out trip out there! I am looking at the Places page next, and will put something up there ASAP.

Did you read Fred G's suggestion about the 2012 gathering? I though I might sound them out about the gathering, it sounds like a great idea!

Many thanks for your post,

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705220

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 19:24

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 19:24
That's great Brian, thanks!
RE: Fred's suggestion, yes I agree that sounds worth exploring - go for it!

Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 705248

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:23

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:23
Great post Brian. Like you, through our travels we have come across some wonderful examples that show reconciliation at work and the real potential of indigenous youth and their communities when positive role models, leadership and opportunities are available. Of course there are negative examples as well, but unlike many people, I prefer to focus on the positive and the wonderful potential available.

I could not count the number of times I have interjected in negative group discussions to relate some positive examples I have personally seen.

Good on you for highlighting another.

What a great thing if ExploreOz could hold a gathering at Kings Creek Station and give support to the Conway's in their wonderful work. We are 'just up the road' near Borroloola and would make a big effort to attend and give support.

Give our regards to Gayleen. We hope to be back on the Gold Coast for a week or two at Christmas. If you are around, perhaps we can catch up.

Norm C
AnswerID: 434197

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:29

Monday, Oct 25, 2010 at 20:29
Hi Norm,

Thanks mate, this really has touched me. We spent two nights at the Stock Camp show listening to what the Conway's are doing and we just knew we had to help!

We plan to be away for Xmas, from about Xmas eve to just maybe Jan 2 or thereabouts. Apart from that, obviously we'd love to catch up with you and Kathryn. We'll be in touch as it gets closer, and we'll make it happen!

Give our best to Kathryn, and we'll see you both soon!

Cheers

Brian

FollowupID: 705258

Sponsored Links