West Coast during the christmas break.

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 16:14
ThreadID: 82220 Views:2243 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is the 1st year in 17 years that i didn't go away during the winter months. Both my oldies are recovering from cancer so i had to stay home and care for them. There both on the mend now, so im planing a trip to Cape Peron NP and Steep Point over the Christmas break.
So my questions are, i know its going to be Hot and heaps of flies, but apart from that whats it like there at that time of year. Is it windy? big crowds? rain? fire bands? etc etc
Im a seasoned traveler, not adverse to heat and flies, but the wind and crowds i cant handle.
This time its just a trip across the big paddock, checking out the south west and heading up to Monkey Mia.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 18:21

Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 18:21
Firstly, well done and kudos to you for stepping up to the plate to care for the oldies in their time of need. My Mum is full time carer for my 93yo grandmother and it is a harrowing job.

I can all but guarantee there will be total fire bans in force up there at that time, but you should be pretty lucky with the crowds, that time of year most of the holiday makers will be invading the south west corner of WA. And why wouldn't they, its a beaut part of the world that time of year.

I'll be in Carnarvon for the Christmas break and it surprisingly isn't that hot and windy up there, compared to Perth. Almost lineball actually.
AnswerID: 434714

Reply By: fisho64 - Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 21:23

Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 21:23
Steep Point will be flat out, but not sure about Shelter Bay. Its bloody windy up there in summer but its the rock fishermen who go up in summer, and family campers in winter. Wind blows offshore at Shelter bay.
Cape Peron has a permanent fire ban, which is (to my mind) subtracts from the camping experience.
Steep Point, Im not sure, I think fires are allowed in the summer there, in the fire pit or contained.

Have a look at the Steep Point website, theres been a few changes coming into effect.
AnswerID: 434725

Follow Up By: Harry and Ann (WA) - Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 21:58

Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 21:58
Hi FISHO 64 , I have fished at steep point for a lot of years during December and January ,fished from the cliffs .good fishing, strong sw winds , can get very hot and no shade, you must be take everything you need with you, check out web site steep point, you will need to get a permit from the ranger ( DICKO ) give him a call he will tell you what you want to know.
FollowupID: 705815

Follow Up By: Harry and Ann (WA) - Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 22:02

Sunday, Oct 31, 2010 at 22:02
sorry ment for long haird nomad
FollowupID: 705816

Sponsored Links