choosing a <span class="highlight">Generator</span>

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 21:43
ThreadID: 82307 Views:2983 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
i have a 16 ft jayco expander, can any of you good people tell me if i can plug a gen straight into my van? and if so what type should i get? i dont know much about the lingo when it comes to power output and stuff so laymans terms would be nice thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 21:53

Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 21:53
Hi Andy,

Yes you can plug a generator into the normal 240 v power inlet and I recommend either Honda or Yamaha because of the quality of the power they generate. Also because they are the quieter of any of the brands, although they certainly arent the cheapest.

The size to buy depends on what you intend to run while using it so have a look online at the websites where you should be able to find most of the information you are seeking.

Cheers,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 435093

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 22:58

Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 22:58
Kiwis Ross & Cushla replied:
If your Jayco is wired for 240 volt ,yes you can plug in a generator.Go into the site about generators on this site,they will tell your all about basic generators which tradespeople may use or "sinewave generators" which are required for fancy equipment like computers etc.We have a 2 KVA Kipor which runs our aircon and tv etc,goes well and is as quite as a Honda and much cheaper,mine runs for 8 hours under light load,pretty impressive,AND it only cost 1/2 what a Honda would cost,got it off Ebay ,brand new in original box and freight free.
endquote"

Hi All
Just remember , YOUR RCD is not functional with the genny plugged into the van power inlet
The more devises you run with an earth requirement [3pinplug] ,the GREATER THE RISK of something going wrong without that protection operating

ONE FAULT TO EARTH which you may not know about makes the system as dangerous as your home supply when not fitted with an RCD.

BE WARNED TAKE CARE

Peter
FollowupID: 706231

Reply By: Kiwis Ross & Cushla- Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 21:57

Thursday, Nov 04, 2010 at 21:57
If your Jayco is wired for 240 volt ,yes you can plug in a generator.Go into the site about generators on this site,they will tell your all about basic generators which tradespeople may use or "sinewave generators" which are required for fancy equipment like computers etc.We have a 2 KVA Kipor which runs our aircon and tv etc,goes well and is as quite as a Honda and much cheaper,mine runs for 8 hours under light load,pretty impressive,AND it only cost 1/2 what a Honda would cost,got it off Ebay ,brand new in original box and freight free.
AnswerID: 435094

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 12:19

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 12:19
Better check your specs again - the Kipor is quiet a bit noiser than the Honda or Yamaha.
FollowupID: 706334

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 16:40

Saturday, Nov 06, 2010 at 16:40
Correction – 2 or 3 years ago, when I brought my genset, the Kipor was noisier than the comparable sized Honda or Yamaha. I just searched the internet and have now found a 2KVA Kipor with the same noise level as the Honda.
FollowupID: 706352

Reply By: OzTroopie - Friday, Nov 05, 2010 at 00:03

Friday, Nov 05, 2010 at 00:03
Hi Ross and Cushla,

As mentioned above, an "inverter" or "pure sinewave" is what you need to look for. Honda and Yamaha are good brands, with a well established service and spare parts network around the country. Whilst you may pick up a cheap unit with similar specs, how will you go if you need to get it serviced or spare parts - this can be problematic. Also, the noise output on some of the chap units is much higher than the Honda/Yahama equivalents. Remember decibels is not a linear scale, so a small increase in decibels can result in much larger increase in actual noise.

Pure sinewave generators have an output which is just as good (if not better) than the power running into your house from the street. Some sensitive electronics, such as laptops, may not run/may get hot, running from a "modified sinewave/ squarewave" generator. You may get away with it and have no problems, but to cover your bases its best to go with a pure sinewave generator.

Remember, sinewave doesn't necessarily mean "pure sinewave", check the specifications carefully.

The size of generator you need will depend on the power consumption of the items you wish to run off it. Things like aircon an microwaves will eat power. Generators up to 2Kva are pretty compact, anything over this starts to get big and heavy.

Have a look at the Honda eu2000i to see if it meets your needs.

Nick
AnswerID: 435099

Follow Up By: andyq - Friday, Nov 05, 2010 at 23:13

Friday, Nov 05, 2010 at 23:13
thanks very much, you info is a big help. cheers to you all.
FollowupID: 706308

Sponsored Links