Gas Fridge Use

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 19:38
ThreadID: 84832 Views:2438 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a new Jayco Dove with the standard Dometic 3-way fridge with a 9kb gas bottle.
Can someone suggest how many days use I would get running the fridge on gas - under 'normal' conditions and outside temperatures below 25 degrees during the day?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - troy s (WA) - Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 20:04

Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 20:04
Hi there garytee, we have a new Goldstream so I'm guessing the fridge is much the same. We've been travelling for the last 7 months now and probably every 3 weeks we're in the need to fill the bottle. This is using the fridge everyday, obviously not running on gas while driving, actually I don't have it turned on at all while driving. I have a portable gas stove, for stays of a few days or more it comes out, otherwise cooking is done inside and thus also using up the gas.
As for temp? I haven't noticed it use more or less. We started the journey in August, cold leaving Perth, and am now in QLD with pretty much 30 degrees daily. So it's seen temps as low as 1-ish in the desert and up to 35-ish up north.
I leave it cranked up to '7' when it's hot you notice the fridge is not working so well, when it's cooler, i could lower the setting but don't bother with it.
Hope this helps
Cheers, enjoy the new camper, we're of to Fraser this week in ours!
Troy
AnswerID: 447493

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 21:14

Sunday, Mar 06, 2011 at 21:14
Troy,
I don't know if you have seen this, I fitted the fan and thermostat on mine and it works really well in hot weather.

Fan and thermostat link

Have a good one.
FollowupID: 719796

Follow Up By: Member - troy s (WA) - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 12:38

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 12:38
Cheers for that Rockape!
I've heard about that before, but thought it's be a more complicated project.
We're heading home for a month before we head up to the Kimberly's so might bung it in then!
Great idea, cheers
Troy
FollowupID: 719851

Reply By: Member - Lyndonc56.TAS. - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:26

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:26
G'day Garytee, I have a Jayco 2001 Outback Finch and spent just under 3 months over in WA in heat between 30-45c and even hotter at times. I have a 3-way Dometic also (as well as a 60lt Waeco) and run it on gas when power is not available. I had one gas bottle 9kg, and a 2kg, backup bottle just in case. I would say that during that 3 months, I had the gas hooked up at the very least, 6 weeks, and that is being conservative, and the rest of the time it was powered. I never, (repeat) never, had to refill that gas bottle or change it over and it still has almost one third of a gas contents left in the bottle. There are a few things that you need to do in order to stop the heat from entering your fridge. The very first thing is to check that the door rubbers are sealing properly. If not, then you may need to adjust the hinges on the door, or replace the seals if they are squashed or damaged. If the door needs adjustment, ensure that when it is closed that it does not overly squash the seal. Before hooking up the gas or loading up the fridge and heading off somewhere, hook up power to the van and run the fridge on power for a day or two and check that cold air is not escaping around the seal, and if all is fine,then load up the fridge with food etc, at least a day before you head off to let everything get fairly cold, ensuring all possible space is used up. (plastic bottles of water if necessary, as this acts like an ice box and retains the cold temperature). I used my fridge settings on ' 2' all the time whilst on gas and the fridge was still starting to get to the point of freezing, but was not using much gas to cool it. Avoid opening and closing all the time, as this lets in heat and uses gas to cool back down. Park the van in a shaded area when camping, with the fridge area away from the afternoon sun and heat. If the freezer compartment is iced up,(badly) then defrost it. If it continues to do this then you have a leaking seal, which needs fixing, or your temperature control knob is cranked up too high. To check your gas bottle, pour boiling water down the side of your bottle. The gas level will quickly show after a few seconds of waiting as it will form condensation from the base of the bottle up to the top of the gas. Hope this has been of some use to you, cheers. PS. Forgot to mention, I did not use the gas cooktop but instead used portable cookers with cannister gas except for a couple of times to boil the kettle. This will be your main usage of gas, the inbuilt stove/gas cooktops.
AnswerID: 447530

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 07:38

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 07:38
Hi garytee,
Here is a good read.
3 WAY FRIDGE GAS USAGE

AnswerID: 447536

Reply By: TerraFirma - Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 15:17

Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 15:17
You may find it handy to carry a 2.5KG bottle as a spare, from memory the 9KG bottle lasts longer than I've been camping for, LOL.
AnswerID: 447577

Sponsored Links