WA <span class="highlight">Dogs</span> Camping & Going to a NP for the Day

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 21:11
ThreadID: 84906 Views:4084 Replies:6 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
I will be doing some trips around WA with my son and two small dogs - griffons. Mostly we will be using free dog friendly campsites, as we are tenting not caravaning, with some holiday parks probably - I have the Free Camping Guides. The issue I have is I am not sure how to find the few 'dog day care' places, my skills at Google do not cut it. Apparently there used to be listings in Holidaying with Dogs for each state - only 6 or 7 places in WA which is what I would expect but it is not in the 11th Ed. Is anyone able to direct me to some info on this, or even caravan parks that provide an enclosure where you can leave your furry companions whilst you visit a National Park.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 22:12

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 22:12
Hi Rebecca

Which part of WA are you planning on visiting?
AnswerID: 447809

Follow Up By: rebecca t - Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 09, 2011 at 22:30
Hi
Planning on doing most of the state piece by piece, though only drive a CRV so cant get too far bush. We will probably travel south of perth around as far as the border village first then up to Kalgoorlie. I may get up as far as Cervantes on the coast. Short week trips between work rostering. I plan on further north and the top end later, though probably after the wet next year rather than this one.
FollowupID: 720114

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:44

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 01:44
Hi Rebecca,

With respect ....... there will be a lot of areas that you will not be able to travel through in Western Australia ............ regardless of the size of your dogs and few areas outside the main cities that will have dog sitting areas to leave your animals in.

There is NO access to the Nambung N.P. with dogs, a club member who attended our recent Pinnacles Trip, was very disappointed when a small dog person alighted from a nearby vehicle and urinated on the wheel of the afore mentioned club member's vehicle .....

and it was also a topic of discussion on a recent club trip to the Leschenault Peninsular Conservation Park, where dogs are not allowed either, even though there were a number of dogs in attendance at a number of camp sites.

While I'm sure that these are VERY isolated incidents .............. we believe it is better to leave the dogs at home ................ than risk death by 1080 or eviction from an area ............

Pets should not be out in the great Oz ................ they should be at home.

Yes, I am/ we are, horrible nasty people ................ who teach 4WD'ers to leave their pets at home.

Regards,
Wayne & Sally.
Compact 4WD Club of W.A.
AnswerID: 447818

Follow Up By: Member - Sue & Joe L (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:42

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 09:42
with respect, everybody is entitled to an opinion, the world would be a sad place if everyone thought the same as you, pets are entitled to be out in the "great oz" just like you providing they have responsible owners.
FollowupID: 720141

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:03

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:03
Sue and Joe,

Couldn't agree more with you.

If pets are controlled properly and have responsible owners they should be allowed to be in the great Oz.

We are moving back to Oz later this year with two of our dogs, one is a certified Search and Rescue dog who has worked in the USA, Europe and Haiti doing seach and rescue and it's costing about $8,000 to bring them to Oz where they will also be certified.

So yes, Wayne and Sally I would agree with your self assessment as being "horrible nasty people"

Bruce

Fallbrook CA
FollowupID: 720148

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:14

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:14
When you see the way a dog dies as a result of taking a 1080 bait then maybe people will change their minds and become responsible pet owners by leaving their pet at home. And don't come back and say my dog won't take a bait casue it's on a lead etc, the dog will sniff it out and swallow it long before the owner knows what it has done.

And then there's lots of other issues that create camp tensions when a dog is brought along.

Don't get me wrong I love dogs and all other animals as well.

Wayne and Sally I fully support you
FollowupID: 720152

Follow Up By: dazren - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:14

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:14
Hello wayne and sally, you know you don't have to remain horrible and nasty, Many people have got themselves a dog, and found that they stopped being horrible and nasty, and became nice human beings, so may i suggest that you get a dog, and experience the Love, Loyalty, Dedication, Happiness, that is apparently missing from your life at the moment
Responsible owners, with controlled and well behaved pets, have as much Right as you to explore our wonderful country Happy Travels dazren
FollowupID: 720218

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 21:55

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 21:55
When you see what the wild dogs, who live around here on edge of NP's, do to the local sheep and calves you will understand the NPWS decision. And you also have the loss of native animals who were attacked and just killed.

I support the rules.

Phil
FollowupID: 720232

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:54

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 01:54
To all those complaining about no dogs in Nat Parks.
It is not only the risk that your dog will pick up a 1080 bait or two that they are kept out,--or the risk that your pet will kill something.
You probably are not aware that even the scent your dog left behind when he walked through the grass or had his compulsory leak/bowel movement is sufficient to deter some native species from coming anywhere near that space for up to a week.
If that space happened to be a food source for the native species, that alone is enough to ban dogs and cats from the bush..........except on your private land.

My rant for the day

Disco.
aka Tony
FollowupID: 720239

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:06

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:06
I am aware that we, as humans, leave an even more undesirable scent wherever we have been, which, in itself, is also a deterrent to native animals.
We also leave behind food scraps, which also may be harmful.

I would also be interested to hear more about the small "dog person" that urinated on a vehicle wheel!

FollowupID: 720252

Follow Up By: sco230618 - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 13:07

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 13:07
For the bungle bungles NP ask at Halls Creek visitor centre. Monica sits dogs for people to go to the NP.
We also have to find others sitters at other NPs but I beleive quite a number of places have dog sitters.
AND YES DOGS DO BELONG WITH THEIR OWNERS/SERVANTS
FollowupID: 720264

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:08

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:08
sco230618

You may want to repost this in the main thread line instead of a side line.

That way the thread author has a better chance of getting your information.

I don't like to leave our mates at home either. But . . .

Phil
FollowupID: 720271

Reply By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 14:58

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 14:58
Hi Rebecca.
This not directly relevant as I’m in NZ, but the same general rules apply. I take my dog (G/Shepherd) with me every time I go camping, I don’t leave home without her.

The biggest risk by far is 1080, you really have to be on your guard for it. Teaching your dog(s) not to scavenge is the best defense. The next biggest risk is other campers, they will complain bitterly about your dog, then annoy you all night with loud music, drunken sing alongs and foul language. The onus is on you to keep your dogs away from them, sadly they rarely reciprocate. Because of this always camp in remote areas away from town H/Parks.

N/Parks are almost always a no go area. But having said that I have often had my dog in N/P’s. Never in main camping areas but around the edges and up side roads. Often with the knowledge of the local rangers, who tend to take a “no harm being done”, view of things. I certainly don’t let the dog run around the bush out of sight. In NZ we have right of transit access through a Park with animals. Not sure about OZ.

You can successfully travel with dogs, you have to think and plan a bit, as well as ignore the whiners. Wayne & Sally are just taking the easy PC way out.

CliveG
AnswerID: 447857

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:07

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:07
Hi Clive

Please this is NOT a habit of most campers. I say this in defence of the majority of campers in Australia. We do not "annoy you all night with loud music, drunken sing alongs and foul language". Not once has this happened since we started camping with our club in the last few years. And the club gets out at least once a fortnight. We usually make it once a month. Personally I do not swear. I don't need to as I have a fairly good grasp of english. I may have two beers a night. We most often have grand children with us and thus will not subject them to such an evening as you suggest.

I rambled on a bit much there. Please do not paint your mates across the pond as all being drunken hoodlums.

I will pack up if there is a dog around and move. One urinated on our tent once and it had to be tossed out. You cannot get that smell out.

Phil
FollowupID: 720242

Follow Up By: cycadcenter - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:47

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:47
Phil,

Each to their own but I would much rather be in the company of our well behaved, loyal, controlled and always on leash dogs than your screaming, shreeking wild grandkids who run all over the campground all day and night.

Or wait you're grandkids are the good ones who don't misbehave just as our dogs are the well behaved ones.

Our dogs are used to long periods of confinement while travelling and in search and rescue assignments.

Bruce
Fallbrook CA
FollowupID: 720243

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:04

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:04
Not needed Bruce.

Keep it civil hey and no need to be facetious. Yes They do behave and are old enough not to go around screaming and basically mucking up.Well old enough. Way off mark mate. We are the older generation who take responsibility for our children and realise that not all people want kids around. As we don't when they are not with us. Neither do we want dogs wandering over and licking us all over the place. Yuk. But as my name suggests "I love animals". But not at the expense of nature etc.

Phil
FollowupID: 720244

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:07

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:07
I have it from a reliable source, that dogs don't ride mini-bikes, or play loud music!
FollowupID: 720253

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:24

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:24
Good on you Shaker!! Chuckle

Phil
FollowupID: 720256

Follow Up By: Member - Clive G (NZ) - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:29

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:29
Hi Phil. As my post implied, the closer to town camps the are the bigger the risk of bogans, some with dogs. I have done a lot of camping in Oz, probably more than NZ and I’m sorry but I find the large camp grounds are full of inconsiderate people. Perhaps my tolerance is lower than yours.

With regards to your tent. Yes some people just don’t care what their dog does, and I no sympathy for them.

BTW. We have just the same issues over here, so it’s certainly not just an Aussie problem. I always try to camp in the bush or in the corners of N/Parks for that reason.

I’ll stop now as we are hijacking Rebecca’s post.

Best Regards. Clive.
FollowupID: 720275

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:59

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 14:59
Clive

Noise and crowds are the two main reasons that we do not frequent caravan parks or the large fully populated, "holiday" camps. We also, if at all possible, do not travel during Christmas, Easter and school holidays. Trips with the grandkids are therefore weekend only trips, and always bush camping. Caravan parks for us are washing stop overs.

But I do agree that there are places that people should be able to take their dogs. We can't take our cats at all. Not welcome anywhere. But they are happy and safe at home. A neighbours kids drop in and feed them and to play with them etc. I would still like their company though. So I am not complaining. Cest la vie.

Lets see by how much the Eels beat the Warriors at Eden park tonight. That's why we are waiting until the morning to go away.

Thanks for dropping in.

Phil
FollowupID: 720279

Follow Up By: nickb - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 01:56

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 01:56
I have 2 dogs which I love, but I never take them where they are not allowed, and when we do take them camping we don't camp near others. As much as I love them, at the end if the day they are still dogs and should be treated as such. And don't give me the "they're part of the family" line, my dogs live inside with us but they know their place.

I understand that not everyone likes dogs. For that reason they more often than not have their own holiday at my sisters place while we are in the bush.
FollowupID: 720312

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:32

Saturday, Mar 19, 2011 at 16:32
Don't get me wrong people. I like dogs. In fact the same goes for all animals but I have a problem with the human animal sometimes.

What gets my goat is the narrow minded way that the very greater majority attack cats and say things like, "The only good cat is a dead one". I heard it several time in this weeks trip into the Vic High hills. And when I say the same about dogs I get howled down. I have to sit there and take it. If I said "The only good dog is a dead one". How many would agree. None. In fact quite the opposite would happen. I cannot howl dog owners down. Where is the fairness in that.

So! Next time you want to spruke out something cruel or derogatory about cats think twice. It hurts us cat owners who do the right thing. I find it totally ignorant and against all fair go principles we hold so dear in the bush.

I will not say anything more.

Phil
FollowupID: 720899

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:01

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:01
Hi Rebecca
Check out the Naturbase website which is the WA National parks site.
You will find that no pets are allowed in any of WA's NPs. sorry!!
There are lots of places you can camp with dogs though and the Camps 5 or 6 books will tell you which ones.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 447870

Follow Up By: rebecca t - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:41

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 20:41
Hi
I am well aware of the no dogs in NPs, that is why I asked the question I did. If anyone knows where there is a listing or compilation of the info that would be great otherwise I will continue to contact each dog friendly caravan park and regional WA vets to see if they either have a run where dogs can be left safely for the day or know where I can find one.
Also in reply to the 'leave the dogs at home' being a single female traveling with a toddler and camping it is either dogs or a shotgun. Thanks for the other tips.
FollowupID: 720221

Follow Up By: farouk - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 22:18

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 22:18
Well Rebecca you finally got an answer to your legitimate question but unfortunately you also got a lecture about something which was not in your request for help and on something that you were perfectly aware of. Bad luck, but do not get put off, sometimes and I must admit I have been guilty of it and that is "We do not read the posting in it's entirety"
Colin
FollowupID: 720234

Follow Up By: Member - MYPRADO - Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 23:27

Thursday, Mar 10, 2011 at 23:27
Do'nt let it deter you, bypass NP, there are many other places to see. Lot's of NP have no 4WD but who leaves their 4WD at home?
FollowupID: 720237

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:18

Friday, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:18
not quite true there is at least 1 NP and DEC campground I know of you can take dogs on the blackwood river

but thats more the exception
FollowupID: 720257

Reply By: ricochet - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:20

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 10:20
a lot of the larger regional centres would have dog kennels you could try or look in the local papers, will sometimes see dogsitters advertising.
Much as I would like to take a dog camping I would not do it in pastoral areas due to number of 1080 baits that are laid to control feral dog populations.
Sorry to all those who say my dog wont pick up a bait but have had to investigate several dog baitings where people have said their dog doesn't pick up baits. BS why is it dead, not something I would wish on anybody.
AnswerID: 447975

Reply By: *Rusty* - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:17

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:17
We take our dogs camping with us, and we live in WA (used to live in QLD). We aim for dog friendly places and avoid caravan parks at all costs.

Because there are so many places with 1080 baits in WA, and other animals often pick them up and spread them, we take precautions. I have purchased a full mounth muzzel for our dogs which makes it so they cannot pick up any food, but can still drink if they put their mouth in the water bowl. Our dogs wear them at night when they are tied up (so that just in case they happen to get off and wander, they still cannot pick anything up). I also walk the dogs with these muzzels on, when walking through the bush "just in case" they decide to pick anything up.

We are responsible dog owners, and we keep our dogs well trained and well behaved. We often leave our camper set up in a dog friendly camp site, and day trip to areas that are not dog friendly(such as National Parks etc).

At christmas time when it was busy everywhere, we decided to take the dogs with us in the car (not leave them at the campsite) and leave them under the car with water and shade while we went and did the tourist thing. As much as i hate doing this, i feel that these options are better for the welfare of my dogs ratehr than leaving them at "home". I cannot afford to "kennel" my dogs for 3 weeks let alone 1 week at $30 per dog per day ($60 per day for my 2 dogs). And i dont believe that i should burden friends and family with looking after my pets for such a period either.

My dogs have never harmed any wildlife or even come close.

My dogs do not bark at other campers, most people wounldn't even know our dogs were at our camper when we leave them to guard it while we go out.

I am not someone who agrees that dogs should be allowed in shops or cafes etc by any means, but i should be allowed to camp with my dogs and enjoy MY great country.

My dogs are a husky x and a bull arab x bull mastiff.

AnswerID: 448081

Sponsored Links