Cheap Aldi <span class="highlight">Generator</span>

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 08:34
ThreadID: 84934 Views:10877 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there; I know it is very cheap. However for backup service at home or the occasional use for extended camping stays one cant really go wrong with it. I just wonder whats the noise level?
Anyone got one of those?
All feedback as usual is very much appreciated.
JS.

Power GeneratorImage Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 08:45

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 08:45
not just the noise level to consider with these cheaper gennies, i borrowed one (not that brand) from a friend once to take to Fraser Island. i spent heaps of time doing running maitenance on the genny as it rattle bits apart, had screws coming loose etc.
maybe that one will be ok, but i wasn't impressed with the one i borrowed. if you do get one, then make sure you keep regular maitenance checks on it.
AnswerID: 447965

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 08:59

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 08:59
Hi Prado Mad,
I have bought many electrical things from Aldi over the years and while the quality is commensurate with the price I have no complaints.

At $299 for 3.7 KW you can't go wrong.

However the power may not be clean so I would not use it on sensitive equipment such as computers or complex electronics but for running lights and battery chargers and the like you can't go wrong.

I don't have personal experience with this machine but it looks like good value.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 447966

Reply By: Member - Michael N (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:13

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:13
Pradomad

I bought a 2.2kva generator from Aldi about 5 years ago. I use it at our bush block and it has not let me down. It is noisy though about 94db from memory. When it is running you know it's there. I made a trolly to pull it around as it's quite heavy. If you mainly want it for home, in case of a black out it will be fine. But I would be reluctant to use it camping as the neighbours half a mile away will get annoyed.

Mick
AnswerID: 447980

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:21

Saturday, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:21
I am not sure of the quality of the generator part of these machines but our first prototype petrol charger was made using their 1000W unit.

I sold the prototype but last I heard it was still working well up at Weipa.

PROTO TYPE

FINAL PRODUCT

We do not use the same engine or factory for our petrol charger engine but they are fairly basic and can be easily maintained. For the Aldi generators I think the service center is in NSW according to the 1000W instruction manual.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 447982

Reply By: Mike DiD - Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:37

Sunday, Mar 13, 2011 at 09:37
Cheap generators have poor voltage control and non-sine waveform.

They're ok for lighting heating and motors (e.g. chainsaw) but you're taking a big risk using them for anything with electronics in it.
AnswerID: 448058

Sponsored Links