The first mobil <span class="highlight">phone</span> issued in Australia

Submitted: Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 16:55
ThreadID: 85141 Views:4270 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundG'day all, continuing the discussion from previous thread - I had the first mobile phone issued to the public in Australia, copy letters below dated Feb. 1985 showing size 45cm long x 37cm wide x 16cm deep. Weight 14.2 kg. Total purchase cost $4482 (in 1985) connection fee $150, annual network rental $800 pa, call charges - dependant on usage. These carphone numbers all started with 007, mine was 007 312869. All of this is itemised in these letters below. This phone was the exact same phone that was permanently mounted partly under the seat & the rest in the boot of your car - Telecom mounted that phone into a Samsonite suitcase hence those large suitcase dimensions. If you already had one of these phones in your car ( they all had to be pre purchased from Telecom) in this letter it says "Telecom will remove it for $100 & fit to mobile case $492 for components & assembly" They always had perfectly clear connection & unlimited range as the went through telephone exchanges (no such thing as cell network!). When this phone would "ring ring" you would have to hide to answer is as people thought you were a freak with a mobile phone 'specially when the number started with 007!
In october 1985 the first cell network was introduced with 2 types of cell phones available, a 2.5 watt "pocket phone" - very large but would just fit in your top shirt pocket - I still have my original Mobiltronics handset with charger 'n bits & sales brochure which was an instruction book exact size with pic.of phone. this phone cost approx. $5500! The other phone was a 5 watt (supposedly with a much longer range than the 2.5 watt pocket model) phone mounted in a box approx. 20cm long x 100cm wide & 100cm deep, both models had pull up antennaes. This phone came with a vinyl carry bag & was commonly known as "the brick". After time it was proven that they both had the same range. I still have the original phone handbooks for the 007 phone & the Mobilenet users guide for the cell phone. also when you had a mobile phoneTelecom would send you a very nice soft black vinyl bound diary "with brass corners" each year - I still have issue number 1 here with me.
I recently received (26/8/10) a letter from Telstra CEO Mr David Thodey thanking me for "retaining our early mobile products and services is very signifiant and marks an important milestone in Australia's telecommunication history, and of course your continuous loyal patronage of Telstra's mobile network." That's a long plan 1985 to now, 26 years!
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:07

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:07
And it revolutionised remote and mobile communications, maybe they will have satellite phones one day
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 448855

Follow Up By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:16
Hey Bonz, I wonder what will be the next "NEW or REVOLUTIONARY" form of mobile & pocket communications after the sat phone & our current radio's - any predictions?

FollowupID: 721116

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:34

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 17:34
I reckon we took a step backwards with the mobile or sat phone, I totally support using broadcast mediums like HF ot UHF at least you can fidn out who is in range or listen to thems whats close to you
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 721119

Follow Up By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:06

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 18:06
Yes, you can be in trouble one side of a sand dune with someone else the other side, you don't know & can't contact them - so you need both, sat phone & uhf

FollowupID: 721130

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 19:29

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 19:29
Gee Dingo

And I thought our brick sized phone around 1985 was a monster.

You need a 4wd just to carry that one.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 448876

Reply By: HGMonaro - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:05

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 22:05
hehe! memories...

I used to do overnight/weekend support of our mainframe systems and we had to carry around a computer terminal (all in one incl built in 2400 baud modem) and a Motorola phone that was a bit bigger than a motorbike battery and just as heavy. If I was on-call I took the phone with me and left the Informer in the car, ready to be put into action!

The Informer (that was it's name)

The Phone was similar to this

(These pics may disappear, but seen as these threads get locked after awhile, I doubt it matters)
AnswerID: 448900

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:53

Tuesday, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:53
I had a Motorola phone just like that one as my first on also. :-))
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 721212

Reply By: Mike DiD - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:03

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:03
You might have had the first Cellular Mobile phone, but there were a few systems before Analogue Cellular.

The NEC car phones ran off 5 base-stations in Sydney (these also became the first cellular basestation sites) and were the first automatic dialling vehicle mounted phones.

They replaced an earlier system that was manually connected.

AnswerID: 448908

Follow Up By: Mike DiD - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:28

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:28
. . . .am I the only one getting a slow response from this website, making it seem as if a message you've sent has been lost ????
FollowupID: 721180

Follow Up By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:38

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:38
Hello Mike, you may have misread my post re the phone as my first mobile phone(the colour pic. is the phone Telecom mounted in the suitcase) - well before the cellular network was developed. From memory I think it was made by NEC but I just went through the handbook (dated 1983) to see if the manfg. was mentioned but it is not. It was Telecom that told me at the time that it was the first one issued. Also I had my name down on Telecoms list for a phone for almost a year waiting for it to be developed. Telecom would ring regularly to see if you still wanted the phone.
With the first cellular phones the phone number included the number of the states post code, eg. in NSW they started with 042, in Vic. they started with 043, Qld 047 etc. & if you moved interstate you could not take your phone number with you. My original cellular number from 1985 is still with my son in Victoria with a couple of prefix number changes after going digital.

FollowupID: 721182

Reply By: Mike DiD - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:24

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:24
You might have had the first Cellular Mobile phone, but there were a few systems before the Analogue Cellular Network, which was launched in 1987.

The MTS007 system was launched in 1981 using NEC car phones and in Sydney ran off only 5 base-stations (these also became the first cellular basestation sites) and were the first automatic dialling vehicle mounted phones. Coverage was only available in capital cities.

They replaced an earlier system using valve-radios that was manually connected.

The first cellular handheld Mobile was the Mitsubishi "brick" - it got so hot during calls that you would end a call because of heat rather than the weight of the "handheld" or the battery going flat
AnswerID: 448911

Follow Up By: aussiedingo. (River Rina) - Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:42

Monday, Mar 21, 2011 at 23:42
By the way Mike the colour pic above is of two books the coloured is the first phone & the other is of course the first cellular, much later

FollowupID: 721183

Sponsored Links