Witjira National Park & the Simpson Desert Reserves now open!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:09
ThreadID: 85362 Views:2512 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We just recieved a Desert Parks Bulletin that states that the Witjira National Park & the Simpson Desert Reserves are now open to 4WD with caution.

The only access is via Kulgera & Finke as the Pedirka PAR & road from Hamilton Station via Eringa Waterhole is closed due to flood damage.

The road from Mt Dare to Dalhousie Springs is in poor condition but passable with care in high clearance 4WDs.

I will be assessing the track out to freeth junction in a day or so & i'll let you know what it is like then.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John B2 (VIC) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:15

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 17:15
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your report.

Many of us will be watching :-)

Cheers,
John
AnswerID: 449991

Reply By: Member - Vern - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 18:02

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 18:02
Thanks for the good news Jeff

I also will be watching out for your update

Cheers Vern
AnswerID: 449994

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 20:51

Friday, Apr 01, 2011 at 20:51
Yikes, Mt Dare to Dalhousie is poor!! Could it be any worse than when we did it in May 2009. Absolute shocker - 71km of bone shaking corrugations LOL. At least the desert should be blooming. '09 was the year of dsust storms, now '10 and '11 bring the floods. Masses of water still to come down Eyre Creek. What do you reckon Jeff, open by July??.....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 450016

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Apr 02, 2011 at 10:06

Saturday, Apr 02, 2011 at 10:06
Warrie,

Poor is a relative term, the road between Mt Dare & the Dalhousie Springs turnoff is non-existent in places, just a series of erosion gullies linked by what used to be a road.

SA roads are having a meeting next week to discuss the roads issues out here!

I'm just about to leave to have a look at the rest of the road to Dalhousie & on as far as Freeth Junction.

I personally don't think that the Eyre Creek bypass will be open before mid July at the earliest, hopefully i'm wrong!

FollowupID: 722505

Reply By: Ozrover - Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 13:00

Sunday, Apr 03, 2011 at 13:00
Hi all,

Went out & had a look yesterday, went as far as the homelands track turnoff (35ks from Dalhousie Springs) ran out of time so had to turn back.

Very over grown in places & a little bit soggy along spring creek flood out.

From Mt Dare to the Dalhousie turnoff lots of erosion & not a lot of road, from the turnoff to Dalhousie It's pretty much normal (rough) with a few erosion gullies & soft sand in the creek crossings (no water).

Bloods creek through the federal ruins very soft sand & over grown.

It's going to be a special year for the Desert, with an abundace of flora & the birdlife is amazing.

Dalhousie ruins are accessable, but it looks like the Pedirka track will be closed for much of this year.

Just had our first travellers through since the flood!

AnswerID: 450172

Sponsored Links