<span class="highlight">Wiring</span> power from ute to trailer for lights and radio???????????

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 21:13
ThreadID: 85938 Views:2918 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I was just wondering what is the easiest way to wire from my ute to my trailer to just power a few lights inside my trailer for working in the dark and also to power a small car stereo in the trailer?

Can anyone tell me if its ok to just wire into the wiring on my trailer plug and into a switch in the trailer or something like that?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: steved58 - Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:15

Thursday, Apr 28, 2011 at 22:15
You could run a wire from your battery to pin 2 on 7 pin plug then run that to the trailer to power lights and radio as long as the load is small Pin 2 is used for reversing lights and most caravans use this plug for 12 volt power
A fuse needs to be fitted to wiring as close as practical to the starting battery

Also be careful you do not flatten your starting battery a low voltage cut-out switch could be a useful addition to prevent this

Not being an expert I hope this helps
Steve
AnswerID: 452660

Reply By: Roughasguts - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:30

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 07:30
Get a sepaerate battery and solar panel to keep it charged that way you still have lights when the trailer is offf the car.

Keep the battery separate ot outside the trailer the fumes aren't the best for breathing.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 452682

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:15

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:15
Ronnie,

Depends on the trailer connector and trailer. The standard connections may be found here.

Apart from the 12 pin flat connectors, there are no spare wires in them that can be used to simply bring a 12V supply from the vehicle battery. You may be able to steal the one intended for a brake controller if the trailer isn't using it. Otherwise you'll need to supply a second connector and wiring. If you can steal one of the connector pins you'll still need to find a continuous 12V source for it - probably easiest to run a wire from the battery (fused of course).

Probably easiest to simply run a pair of wires from the battery (positive side through a fuse right at the battery) to the back of the ute. Mount a connector there (Anderson plug is best) and continue the wiring to the places you need it in the trailer. I'd simply install a multi cigarette lighter socket in the trailer and plug lights etc into it as required - saves switches, saves mounting them and can't be accidentally turned on by bumping.

Provided you don't leave lights and radio turned on for days you shouldn't run your battery down far. Worth noting that most recent radios need continuous 12V to keep their settings alive, even when not turned on.

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 452688

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:34

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:34
You are wrong John.

7 pin plugs do have a pin that is used in most cases to power the fridge in a caravan. This can be used for 12V power if the trailer is not fitted with reversing lamps.

Pin 2 - Aux or Reversing

Regards

Derek

FollowupID: 725376

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:44

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:44
Oooops....! I should never make bald statements in a hurry! I was aware that pinching an unused pin was common practice. Thank you for the correction.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 725380

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:26

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 at 08:26
Hi Ronnie

How often do you use the trailer.

How many hours will you use the power with out driving.

Have you got access to mains power when you are not using the trailer.

Have you got specs for the lights and how many exactly.

Sorry you can't expect an answer to your question without more info otherwise just use torches and a portable radio.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 452689

Sponsored Links