Caravan Parks that charge by site not per person

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 20:08
ThreadID: 88369 Views:3150 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I'm a new starter on the group (and new to 'vanning), so thought I should say hello.

We've just recently purchased a Jayco Swan and a 2005 Pathfinder to tow it
with. Looking forward to our first outing towards the end of August.

The question that I'd be interested in hearing answers to is … Where are
there (good) caravan parks with powered sites that only charge per site (as
opposed to per person)?

The reason for the question is that we've got 5 children, so tariffs that
charge extra per child affect us particularly badly!!

We're in Victoria, so are interested in sites in Victoria and then up the east coast to start with.

Look forward to your insights.

Regards,

Derek.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 20:50

Tuesday, Aug 09, 2011 at 20:50
most have a price for 2 adults as standard with kids extra and anything between $5 and $12 each (or even more in peak times) and under 5's usually free. On top of that you'll get increased rates for school hols.

You'll do very well to pay $55 p/night but expect a fair bit higher at peak/school hol times

AnswerID: 462201

Reply By: time waster - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:09

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 07:09
Hi Derek,

We found when we travelled the East coast that the council parks charge per site up to 5-6 kids from memory.

I'm with you it's a complete rip off for charging for kids up to $12 and dogs are free.

Christian
AnswerID: 462213

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:55

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:55
Kids use toilets, have showers & a lot of the facilities at parks are for kids, playgrounds, jumping cushions etc etc.
FollowupID: 736038

Follow Up By: time waster - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:34

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:34
Hi Shaker,

I understand that they need to cover for playground's and showers but the proportion seems to be wrong, last year on our 3 month trip with two adults and a 4 and 6 year old (own shower and toilet in van) some parks where an extra $24 on top of a standard site fee of $30 making $54 for a powered site, some charged for kids and didn't even have a playground.

Free camping is the only way we found to keep to a budget and also staying at the council parks as a lot of them charge per site and generally in a better location.

Christian
FollowupID: 736045

Reply By: carlsp - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 08:20

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 08:20
Hi Derek,

I understand the problems in travelling with a few young children.

My understanding is that caravan parks are dominated these days by the aging population. They are almost full the majority of the year and I certainly am speaking of Queensland and not Victoria. Caravan numbers are up and caravan parks are down. This combined with the move to "user Payes" and the eternal lust for profits (by councils) has made it even harder for young families.

A blanket price will see however that the additional costs of runnning a parks, occupied by families is passed onto retired people, many who are finding life very hard as well.

The bean counters in the council do not see the "society pluses" of youngsters away from the XBOX and running around in the clean air and looking at nature. Funny thing is in Russia they have FREE camps for children on holidays with FREE transport, FREE food and FREE accomodation. We however are living in the FIRST world and life is better here for children?
AnswerID: 462219

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:09

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:09
Yes I agree with your coment on the grey nomads. They all go up to Q'land and W.A.. Might be an idea if Derek had a good look at Victoria as the park owners might be looking for patrons. HeHe.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 736092

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:37

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:37
I understand your frustration with the cost of having children but nothing in the world is FREE.

Basically if you think your getting some thing FREE your just getting some one else to pay for it.

Stu
FollowupID: 736093

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:50

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 09:50
One of the most stupid reasons given to us for charging an extra $10 ,yes $10 per night for a child [ 9yr old at the time] was that " Kids use a heap more TOILET PAPER and make a mess in the bathroom so we charge an extra $10 per child per night ,take it or leave it ! " We left , ,,,,, Mango Farm C/Van Park on the Daley river N.T.
AnswerID: 462225

Reply By: fisho64 - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:31

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:31
hey Derek, Im in exactly the same situation as you.
Question-have you ever had anyone leave the office and actually count the kids? We havent, and usually the kids are so busy tearing round during the day that short of entering after everyone is in bed, a head count is impossible.
AnswerID: 462230

Reply By: Member - Barry P (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:38

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:38
as asingle traveller caravan parks can be a pain in the butt ;most want too charge for 2 people ;no discount for 1 but will gladly charge for 3 ;free camping best for me bye barry
AnswerID: 462231

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 15:43

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 15:43
you can understand their need for a small charge. After all, they do use some hot water, electricity and yes, they do contribute to the need for cleaners but $5 p/night is surely adequate unless there has been considerable investment in kids' facilities/playground/games room. Trouble is, even for a family of four, the costs can get up to $80 p/night at peak

We just learned to be a bit choosier and avoided the Big 4 type of park. Family Parks aren't too bad. We go to one most January school hols and it works out at around $48 p/night for four.
AnswerID: 462258

Follow Up By: carlsp - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 05:06

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 05:06
Try Big 4 Queenscliffe near Geelong. School holidays, 3 night min stay, $85 a night.

The next closest was Te Anau, New Nealand, Top 10 park, non school holidays, $73 a night for 2 people.
FollowupID: 736122

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 16:56

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 16:56
I was talking to a Caravan Park owner yesterday, and the conversation was about the upcomming improvements to their park next year.

He was saying that the land value alone was $3 million.

And he pays $200,000 Land Tax per year let alone rates, power, and insurances.

The owner also stated that he prefers not to have kids on the park as they cause the most work re: cleaning and damage to the amenities.

Also the Grey Nomads like to steer clear of parks where their are Kids Entertainment ect.

He mentioned that last Xmas their were 17 extra kids running around, more than that was registered at bookin time.

He said some C/P owners will negotiate with the adults and forego the Kids Charge so they won't miss out on a customer, in the low season.

It pays to haggle.

Cheers

AnswerID: 462265

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 09:55

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 09:55
A friend of mine owned a caravan park in a popular beach area, we were talking about dogs in c/parks when he said that personally, he would rather people brought their dogs instead of kids, because at least most people train their dogs!
He also said that kids caused a lot a damage & blockages to facilities & parents became very obnoxious when confronted about their children's behaviour.

FollowupID: 736137

Reply By: Puma1 - Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 23:56

Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 23:56
Hi Derek
I wouldn't worry too much about the charges a park has, because with 5 kids and 2 adults in a van I don't think it will be too long before you get a cash windfall after you sell the van!
You are truly a glutton for punishment and you are my hero!!
Buy a copy of camps Australia 6 to get all the info you need.
Have fun Cheers!
AnswerID: 462473

Sponsored Links