Forum guidance

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:15
ThreadID: 88501 Views:1806 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I am brand spanking new to the forum and i am after a bit of guidance. Is there any way to display the topics in the traditional forum manner, ie. grouped into subject areas or searchable by keyword. All i seem to be able to access is a list of five pages of recent topics. Maybe i am not looking where i am supposed to. Any help appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:23

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:23
Try the FAQ Tab and have a look at search help

Before creating a new thread in the Forum, it is best to search the Forum archives to ensure your question has not been asked and answered previously. To search the Forum, type your search string into the box labeled 'Search For:' – Then click 'Go'. The corresponding threads will be returned based upon your search term.

The Forum search also supports AND, OR and NEAR Boolean matches and double quotes for exact phrase matches (For more information on Boolean searches - Forum Help. This search function will help cut out any unrelated threads. Additionally, you also have the ability to search within a particular time frame. If you want to limit your search to a particular to a time frame ie: show me current threads in the last X days - then simply select/enter a date in the start date field along with your search terms.

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 462746

Reply By: Michael Kelly - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:51

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:51
Hi
Thanks for that. Is there a forum home page that lists a forum index (subjects eg vehicles, trips, general off topic, etc). like every other forum i am on?
AnswerID: 462748

Follow Up By: Michael Kelly - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:55

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 18:55
Oh and i cant find a FAQ tab anywhere.
FollowupID: 736553

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:12

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:12
Hi Michael

And welcome to the forum. I hope you find this forum as interesting and helpful as I and thousands of others do.

What part of the country do you hail from and what is your poison for vehicles to explore this wonderful country.

Sometimes if you can't find a forum entry about your topic you can ask in a thread if it has been covered. Undoubtedly it will have been discussed but new people are always appearing and it is expected the same questions will be asked over. And sometimes there are new answers along with new technology.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 462753

Reply By: snoopyone - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:16

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:16
Change the selection in the box at the top to show threads by response time
and change page length to 100 threads.

When wanting info as suggested do a search on relevant headings.

EG Satfones gets asked about at least once a week, Tyres every 3rd day.

Get the drift

Or just look back through last 5 pages of threads.
AnswerID: 462754

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:16

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 19:16
The FAQ is a button in the box top left of the forum home page. You can only order by thread ID or by most recent post. There are no other groupings that I know of. Other forums have the subject areas predefined and you post under the subject. This forum doesn't do that. It's a good forum none the less. Mike
AnswerID: 462755

Reply By: Michael Kelly - Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 20:03

Tuesday, Aug 16, 2011 at 20:03
Thanks everyone, that has answered my questions. I might try and stick with it but it is a very difficult user interface for a forum. There is a wealth of info here just a bit difficult to find.
AnswerID: 462760

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:51

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:51
Many of us prefer it this way Michael, its a much better format if your a regular user trying to keep up with whats happening in the world of exploring australia.

Most of us set it to display the last 100 messages in response time order (as per box top LHS of forum page display).

The other format is better if your an occassional user looking for an index type presentation.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 736587

Sponsored Links