PayTV on the road options and Mobile <span class="highlight">Foxtel</span> TV

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 07:16
ThreadID: 89525 Views:7637 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello people, as a sports mad fan, one thing always in the back of my mind is if we go camping on this particluar day, are there any major sporting events happening? Sad but true. :) Going to a local pub a watching it is no option, because of the ankle biters etc. So are there any people out there using an easy to use setup to watch Austar / Foxtel. I have jest read about Telstra Mobile foxtel which works on your computer which seems like the easiest setup and pay as you go too! But the 200 min per month limit, sheez watching one live sporting events would eat into that straight away.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:07

Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:07
we were away last week and came across some campers with a satelite dish.
he had the dish(about $120 from ebay)and he brang along his foxtell box from home he said he had no problems
cheers
AnswerID: 467494

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:30

Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:30
Have a look at vansat web site, they sell a dish that pick up foxtel and you own it. cost around $800, and no ongoing charges and you get free to air channels as well.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 467498

Follow Up By: lxtbattery - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:49

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:49
That sounds goods!
Lithium-ion Battery, i like it.
FollowupID: 741774

Reply By: Grinner - Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:31

Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:31
A few options here:
Satplus

This is where I bought my disk from, and they gave me a demo of how to line up the dish at the shop when I picked it up.

The basic parts you need are:
Foxtel Box - I had a second basic box intsalled at home for the kids, and use this one to take away
Dish and LNB - You will need the Dish and arm and an LNB (the white thing at the end of the arm). The LNB frequency should be 10700 for Foxtell
Tripod or Mount - Something that will securely hold the dish, but also allow you to adjust the dish. I use one of the old Triton Multi Stand tripods.
RG6 cable - to connect the dish to the Foxtel box. Mine is about 20 M long, so I can have the dish out from under trees etc if needed
Sat Meter / Finder - To make sure the dish is pointing in exactly the right spot. I just use one of the basic ones with the needle dial.

Jason
AnswerID: 467511

Reply By: stoney123 - Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 14:38

Thursday, Oct 13, 2011 at 14:38
I turn on my abc radio grandstand as i can fish or sit by fire and relax commercial free. For the english premier league when camping i sometimes get part of the game on newsradios BBC, but usually end up at 2am
"watching" the game in text mode off BBC via mobile broadband if there's some good games on.

AnswerID: 467523

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 06:48

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 06:48
I'm with you Stoney - I listen whilst I fish (even out on the Diamantina) - that way I can hear the Races as well (mind you when the Spring Racing Carnival is on I wouldn't mind being able to watch....not just hear)
Just can't seem to stay awake long enough to hear the end of the Premier League anymore.
I have always been secretly appalled by all the people who tavel around in caravans/campers/tents who HAVE to watch the damn television when camping. Don't they have conversations at night with their husband/wife/partner/kids? Don't they try and beat the daylights out of them at cards/board games?
After having a caravan park for 10 years you find out some amazing things about people - one was about the need to go inside and lock themselves in as soon as it was getting dark - never to be seen again until morning, secondly, this is the most amazing - most caravanners do not sleep together. when I asked them (very boldly) they would say because if we have single beds we can have more cupboard space! Or else the taller of the couple could have a long bed and the other a short bed.
FollowupID: 741714

Follow Up By: Toby T1 - Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 21:13

Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 21:13
Oh my god do you think I go camping to talk to my wife and kids? ;)
FollowupID: 741857

Follow Up By: Toby T1 - Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 21:17

Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 21:17
hehe and you say most caravanners do not sleep together? hmmm, when I purchased my caravan, the first sticker I thought about purchasing was "When the vans a rocking....", To get more cupboard space...eye opener that one.
FollowupID: 741858

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 08:43

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 08:43
Toby, they can get 2 draswers and a hanging cupboard in between the single beds.
You mean that sticker that was on all the Sandmans! That was an unwritten rule in our house that I was never allowed into one of those vans - never did go in one either (plenty of other places hee hee)
FollowupID: 741887

Reply By: bordertrek - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:03

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 21:03
If you dont want pay tv get VAST. The whole kit incl reciever and sat finder/meter about $650. Aurora is history and VAST is transmitting more and more free to air channels all the time.
Dave
AnswerID: 467609

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:18

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:18
It is my understanding that the legislation that made additional free to air channels available to free to air operators also provided that free to air satellite become freely available. The market is starting to react with new equipment and suppliers. Another 12 months and there will likely be several cost effective options.
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 741909

Sponsored Links