Navman MY75T can I use Hema reverse camera ?

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 15, 2011 at 18:48
ThreadID: 89564 Views:5452 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Got real used to the reverse cam feature in my expensive GPS but it just died. No stuff on screen. As rev cam looks identical to the Navman MY75T, right down to all the cables and camera reckon it should work. A guy on another forum states we have to switch to reverse function by the main screen menu. A bit of a pain after the auto feature on the Hema, but better than running over a child or drugged adult I guess. Magic GPS and love the school speed zones how they know which are school days and which are not. Navman video reverse camera is double the price of what it should be.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:24

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 01:24
I have a MY75T and use it with a reversing camera I installed myself.
I fitted a switch to turn on the power to the camera.
At first I also used the screen menu to select the camera input - a real pain - until I discovered by accident I don't have to do that.

Say, the GPS is displaying its usual navigation screen. I stop and select reverse gear and also turn on the reversing camera switch. After a few seconds the reversing camera view magically appears on the screen. You might have to be a little patient to discover this.
Turning the power to the reversing camera off reverts the screen back to navigation.
I prefer this set up as it lets me check the tow hitch connection while doing 100 on the freeway. Just flick the switch - no fiddling with screen menu's - and the camera view is on screen. Switch off and its back to navigation.
AnswerID: 467712

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 17:16

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 17:16
Thanks mate. Thats the sort of reply I needed. Like that 'view on the go' aspect. Have yet to read the other replies yet, but this is good. Just a simple switch. I am using it in my Navara D-40. My iPhone has some great Nav apps now plus 'hands free' Bluetooth MY75T so was using that till I got the Navman. Great tips. Thanks
FollowupID: 741936

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:50

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:50
I was looking very seriously at the MY75T late last week for the very same feature. I was also keen as it appeared to have good screen brightness and was quite readable when i asked for a demo in the car.
In discussions with Navman on the day I confirmed the camera feed will appear automatically (I also have mine on on/off switch plus a switch to select between 2 cameras).
I didn't proceed with the purchase at the last moment as i found out (and confirmed by Navman) that the unit will not switch off when you turn the car power off...you need to turn the unit off manually . What a pain in the a.. !
That means if you come home tired on friday hop out of the car with your mind firmly fixed on a cold beer and forget to turn it off it's still on draining your battery and acting as a car torch to attract every would be thief in the neighborhood. If any 75T owners out there have a work around for this please let me know. The 75T was selling here in Adelaide at $379 less 20% which I thought was quite reasonable.

I just recently dumped a Garmin DEZL 560 as I could not get the cam screen to show every time. It randomly refused to cooperate despite 10 trips to two different installers, switches, cameras and a replacement 560 etc etc. Also dumped a Chinese 7" high Def unit which looked good on the web page and was great inside the house but in the car in sunlight was impossible to read. To me a readable screen is the number 1 feature I look for.
At the moment I have a VMS touring 430 which is quite OK and runs IGO 8 (which I quite like) but has the smaller 4.3 screen and I guess have been spoiled by the larger screen units.

Sooo...still looking for the holy grail. There is the new Navman 'MY Escape' coming out soon? which also has AV in but will of course be expensive as all new top of the line units are. Could be worth a serious look tho'.

AnswerID: 467745

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:59

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 10:59
Forgot to mention also looked at the Hema HN5i but the screen readability was quite poor. Not as bad as the Chinese unit but for the price of the Hema I expect a LOT better. I also don't need the off road Ozi nav as I run that on a Motorola Xoom tablet...dam good...I can finally have a large screen nav in the car that my failing eyes can see, that is light, not hot on the lap, instant on, and looong battery life. (If there is wi fi or mobile phone coverage can also get a direct feed from the security cams at work :-) )
FollowupID: 741903

Follow Up By: S Paul - VIC - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:22

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:22
Brenton ,

If the Navman is in a dash Cig socket it won't drain the car battery as the charge mode is off when you pull the key out .. However it does drain its own internal battery - as I found out several times !!

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 741910

Follow Up By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 15:15

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 15:15
Yes,you're right Steve.
It's a dumb idea tho and not one I would have thought to look for as no other GPS I've had in the last 10 years or so has had that set up. Just something else to put on the check list....sigh.
FollowupID: 741924

Follow Up By: S Paul - VIC - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 15:44

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 15:44
The big thing with me is - the switch also has the reset setting on it and if you pull the slider too far you put it into reset mode ... And I hate that !! Why they didnt have a reset hole like everyone else I don't know ...

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 741929

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 17:19

Sunday, Oct 16, 2011 at 17:19
I put a bit of black sparkies tape on that end of the slide. Works ok but stupid idea.
FollowupID: 741938

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Monday, Oct 17, 2011 at 00:42

Monday, Oct 17, 2011 at 00:42
I agree with it being a pain that the MY75 does not automatically power off. Mine is plugged into the dash cig socket, so far I have remembered to turn it off.

As to the location of the 'reset' switch - it must have been a first day job for some graduate that never used a in car GPS before. My cure to not accidentally resetting the unit all the time was to carefully cut a tiny piece of rubber that fits into the slide switch slot and prevents it from sliding past the center position. A strip of magic tape holds the rubber stop in place, it can easily be lifted out if resetting is required.
FollowupID: 741970

Reply By: ao767brad - Monday, Oct 17, 2011 at 21:19

Monday, Oct 17, 2011 at 21:19
Hi guys, we bought the Navman MY75 in April this year and did a 3 month trip around Aust with it. Yes the reverse camera will work as we had it hooked up as the other respondant said. If you are thinking of buying you will find the map data rather ordinary once out of town, we wrote a detailed discription to the map supplier with numerous 'towns' in the middle of no where, heaps of occasions when we had full GPS coverage yet the map showed us upto 800m off the Hema tracks maps, the WGS datam had been selected yet Navman said this was acceptable, despite loosing all distance to destination and details as not on road. There are numerous events of roads not shown despite having been built 2-3 years ago and maps dated as 2011, and twice it locked up totally requiring total reload of the software and mapping files. If you intend to do more than the occasional trip out of town I was seriously consider another GPS or otherwise take you laptop with full software file and map data saved to it for the inevitable reload, it happens at the most inopportune time. Navmans tech support is in the Phillipines and twice offered to email instructions but 6 months later nothing has ever been received.
Caveat Emptor
AnswerID: 467884

Sponsored Links