too expensive and regulated

Submitted: Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:14
ThreadID: 89838 Views:3342 Replies:11 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Hummmm. Just come back from camping at my beloved Inskip point where I've been going for 30 years (great spot on the beach, dogs, campfires cheap).
Not so great these days, hideously overcrowded, ground filthy from no fire rings and charcoal everywhere, 2WD vehicles blocking 4WD access tracks, drunks, loud music, etc. Reason - Other beautiful places now too expensive for most families to get to. eg Stradbroke, Moreton Islands, Fraser, Cooloola National park now $200+ per year just to drive on the beach.
I have personally been to Stradbroke Island (Flinders Beach) and Moreton Island in the last 18 months and they are almost deserted due to high barge fees. Be good if the Gov and maybee businesses could subsidise barge fees so as we may return to our local recreational beautiful spots. Some more dog friendly areas are a must, it's just rediculous how our rights are being slowly milked away from us.Moreton Island should have a dog beach!!
I realise there are a lot of issues at stake here and that I will engender quite a debate from this post. However fire away. I'm interested in creating diversity to bring about change.
Rossy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:40

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:40
I don't mind paying $200 a year to keep the yobos out.

We have seen the damage that they do.

Inskip Point has been a Toilet for years and it's getting worse.

Re: Moreton Island it's a National Park I can't see them having a Dog Beach.

Several years back we were camping there and the Cook had a pet Budgie in a cage.

The Ranger spotted it and demanded that we take it off the island asap.

He backed down after a while but insisted that we kept it in the tent or the 4x4.

We stay at Teewah Beach on a regular basis and that's getting out of hand.

I believe that if we do our bit to look after our camp site while we are there and take our rubbish when we leave that's all we can do.

And we carry out this practice where ever we go.

Cheers
AnswerID: 468929

Follow Up By: rossy - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 13:39

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 13:39
I realise Moreton Island is a National Park, it didn't used to be all National Park as most of it is now. I appreciate that however I do believe people and dogs also have rights as well as wildlife and that having a section for dogs should not be out of the equation. We did hire a house at Cowen and at a pinch we could have had our dog there. It gets costly though with house hire and barge fees. I felt for the people who owned the house who were really lovely and had spent $20,000 + to put solar on their house and have trouble renting it out even at peak times because it's too expensive to get there!
I too in the olden days was treated like an escaped convict when I one arrived with my dog on the barge by newly commissioned rangers but in those days I knew where I was allowed to be (on commonwealth land at Nth Point near the lighthouse) so they couldn't do anything) all different now of course.
I do get your point that $200 is one way to keep out the yobbo's at Cooloola and it is one way, but wow it has forced exess masses onto Inskip. I'm debating if I will ever return there again.
Regards
Ros
ps I think Ive hear the budgie story it is famous at Moreton!
FollowupID: 743252

Follow Up By: Fatso - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 20:17

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 20:17
Well Dazza, a budgie eh.
How does it feel to be an environmental terrorist bringing a domestic pet into a national park. Do you not realise the threat that bird could pose if it were to escape into the wild. It could breed like a budgie & grow in numbers so big it could cause shadows on the ground.
Hang on, aren't budgies a native species.
Lucky you didn't get pinched for not having a permit to keep the little bloke.
FollowupID: 743279

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:48

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:48
Nah! from memory it couldn't escape it had it's wings clipped.

So he lost his chance to terrorise the planet.

FollowupID: 743297

Follow Up By: rossy - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 18:14

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 18:14
bahahahahahahaha
FollowupID: 743353

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:07

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:07
he didnt lose his chance, it was taken from him. Although I bet he's gald he's had the eqivelant of his legs cut off so he can be someone's toy for the rest of his life. Each to their own though.
FollowupID: 743414

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:55

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:55
Goes to show the training and education quality of some Rangers , Budgerigars are NATIVE to Australia ,out here at certain times of the year we have flocks of thousands , and if the silly b####r had a look they are also indigenous to the island , have seen flocks of hundreds on Moreton.
FollowupID: 743417

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 03, 2011 at 14:46

Thursday, Nov 03, 2011 at 14:46
Yes Penchy the poor bugger used to climb in and out of the cage and could fly short distances with a bit of effort.

We had him for about 7 years, not bad for a budgie.

The wife claimed him after a neighbour lost interest in it.

Maybe she should have but it down the toilet rather than care for it.

It's not as though we went out bush and trapped it, it was reared in captivity it didn't know any other way of life.

FollowupID: 743470

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:14

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:14
unfortunately this is happening everywhere there is free or cheap camping and it will only get worse if a fee is not imposed.

No use blaming other camp spots that charge a fee for the influx of campers into free sites..... charge a fee and it keeps the not so friendly campers out.

As said above and i agree I would sooner pay a fee and have a good regulated camp spot then camp somewhere for free in an unregulated camp spot.

People have to understand that even if it is "our country" and we have a "right to be there" it isn't an invitation to camp for free and do what we want.

Most of the people causing the problems are non seasonal campers who are out for a good time who have little respect for other campers or the environment.

The authorities have two choices..... charge a fee to control, maintain and regulate the masses or the other choice is to shut or restrict the areas.

In SA it has happened at the Morgan Quarry..... the once no restricted site now needs an approved permit to use the site..... WHY... to many abused the privilege.
AnswerID: 468930

Follow Up By: rossy - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 14:59

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 14:59
Blame was not my intention in this thread.
I don't believe in the attitude "I'll go where I bloodly well want". But I do feel we need more spots where we can have campfires our dogs, and affordability.
Regards
Ros
FollowupID: 743254

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:19
Not blaming anyone..... people like you do the right thing but it's the other who don't.

Anywhere you go where you can have camp fires, your dog and is affordable is the place everyone else also likes to go...... go somewhere where you can have a camp fire, no dogs and unaffordable and your bound to have a good time as all the others who want to take there dog and camp cheaply will not be around.

Camped at Sheep Yard Flat last xmas and it's a lovely place with really good camp grounds but what made it not so good was the group of 30 teens partying hard and people with chain saws cutting fire wood at 8.30pm and not forgetting the cars.... it was like being at closing time at the drive in except it was all day.

As I said you do the right thing but many don't...... it's a fact of life.

IT's like using quality and cheap in the same sentence except in this case it's good and free...... these words should never be used together as for most cases it ends in tears.
FollowupID: 743300

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:20

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:20
Hi Rossy,

We used to go to Moreton Island every January for about five days.
Have not been for the last couple a years, but just had a look at the Micat website
and return for vehicle and camping trailer is $450 return with two people.
That does not include camping or national park fees.
Might be a while before I go back.

I also had to go to Nth Stradbroke Island for a day a couple of weeks ago for work and with residents discount car and trailer was $189 not sure what it is for tourists.

These prices are getting a bit high for the average family to go on holidays to either destination, so I don't hold out much hope for the crowds getting smaller at camp sites that are easy to drive to.
We also used to go to Bribie Island some 25 years ago and the permit was $60 per year back then.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 468931

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 14:27

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 14:27
Gday,
I cant see how paying fee's is going to help anyone in the long run.
It will just push people into other campsites until they have a fee too, and so on......until there are no free campsites and yobbos in all of them and then we will have yobbos and bloody fee's everywhere.
What makes people think these "yobbos" dont have any money? It just makes it more expensive for everyone.
I reckon if more people are going camping these days they should be opening up more places so people can spread out more not shutting them down and restricting people.
Not everyone goes camping for the same reasons and some peoples idea of bed time is not others they just dont need to camp near each other.
Im sure yobbos have always been there.......its just that we are all getting crammed in together these days.

Cheers
AnswerID: 468936

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:09

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:09
I have to agree whole heartedly with Hairy. All of us need a place to go camping. Even the yobbos. It is just they are closing down so many places that have been used for camping for years - some 50 plus years with little to no issue. People are being pushed in together and that is causing the problem.

My beef is Lancelin just north of Perth. It has been a mecca for many to camp in the bush and dunes north of Lancelin. Now it is all closed off. I may not camp there much any more but I do know it was a yobbo paradise but now they are not allowed there so they will come looking elsewhere. There was so much room in the dunes everyone could camp and not be in others way.

I believe the voice of the people needs to get louder.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 743286

Follow Up By: Fatso - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:32

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:32
In the 70's I was one of those yobbos.
In the 60's my older brothers were those yobbos.
I wouldn't be surprised if my father was one of those yobbos before WW2
There have been drunk & noisy people since god gave mankind alcohol.
Also, I never paid any fees to camp what so ever until the late 80's.
My oldest brother never paid a fee to camp until the last few years.
I agree with you Serendipity & Hairy that we are being squeezed together by these bureaucrats who came out of the inner suburbs of major cities & don't understand the tradition of white fellas in this country.
When there were 10 million people & 20 million places to camp there was no problem. Now the extremists who have no historical or traditional values that think that everybody should pay for everything are getting are taking control we have had our camping sites reduced dramatically & we are being jammed in together.
One example.
Quite some years back wev were camped for a week at a popular spot on the Mitchell near Mt Carbine. We were into quads & motorbikes & we were there for the riding & camping. Some bloke & his family came along & went to set up near us. So I thought I would send the kids out on their quads & bikes to kick up as much dust as they could, just to let this bloke know what he was in for.
Fortunately for him he saw what he was in for if he camped near us & promptly put the family back in the car & went & found a spot where the neighbours would be more to his liking.
Had anyone have been in the spot where we were in when we arrived we would have moved on as well & found another place where we could make our noise & not have to worry about upsetting anyone else.
That's the way it used to be.
Well now it is not. That entire cattle station, of a few hundred square miles & 40 km of river front on 2 banks, is a wildlife refuge & the public are no longer allowed any access. Not even for the quiet bloke with his young family.
The same thing has happened to all you blokes that complain about yobbos.
Us yobbos, which includes all of you at some stage of your hypocritical life, used to have a place to go & have fun without putting up with us quiet campers, but they took it away & made everyone camp together.
That's my 2 bobs worth.
FollowupID: 743302

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:16

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:16
Fatso, thank you for yor contribution. If you care to read it again, s l o w l y, you wil understand why the restrictions are applied. Thank you very much.
FollowupID: 743320

Follow Up By: Bernie C - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 11:57

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 11:57
Hey Fatso,

No wonder there is a need to put all the yobbos like you all in one place and leave the bush to the rest of use in peace and for the wildlife and their refuge kept away from quad bikes and idiots.

It is people exactly like you that give campers a bad name and have places like this cattle station close the gates and now everyone that ever went there suffers the loss.

That's my 2 bob as well.
FollowupID: 743333

Follow Up By: rossy - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:19

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:19
hahaha "Yobbos" I reckon are = good ozzie blokes who would go the extra mile to help you if you were in trouble. Anyway, at the end of the day we need more space and affordable places to camp. The control imposed is excessive and getting worse. You watch in years to come people won't be allowed in vehicles into national parks we will have to pay for tours. I was once involved with The Outdoor Recreation Party in Sydney and we managed to get one voice in the wilderness into parliament to air our views. More political influence is needed or we will continue to be told what to do.
FollowupID: 743336

Follow Up By: Bernie C - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:47

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:47
I know where you are coming from with the greeny thing, wanting to cut the Australian tax payer out of his own Australian owned land.

Back to the Inskip and yobbos, there was a big blue in the camping grounds a few years ago, people got sick of the yobbos and it boiled over. Now a lot of quite holiday people that had gone there for years never came back. EPA cut the numbers but IMO it needs more trimming.
FollowupID: 743337

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:55

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:55
Fatso, you are a "good ozzie bloke who would go the extra mile to help"? And you sent your kids out on the quads and noisey motor bikes. One statment is wrong. Are you a nice person who thinks of others or just another derilect rectum?
Methinks the latter andTHAT is why certain properties are closed to all. ThiMk about it.
FollowupID: 743338

Follow Up By: Fatso - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 17:47

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 17:47
I'll take it on the chin fellas & admit that I failed English in senior & may not have expressed myself well enough to people who have limited life experiences.
I will try again in a way the inexperienced may understand.
ONCE UPON A TIME, when you went camping, if you were noisy, you could camp alone where you never had to worry about annoying anybody. That's what we did when I was a yobbo quad rider.
If you were looking for quiet, peace & solitude there were actually enough places to camp that you could just look around & find one. When we wanted peace & quiet & solitude we went & found a spot away from yobbos.
There used to be plenty of room for everyone.
Now there is not & you are jammed in beside the yobbo who would probably also preffer to be elsewhere.
Some of you blokes are very quick to pass judgement on me from few a poorley written lines.
You don't even know me, or the area I was talking about.
If you met me you would probably find me to be quite an interesting bloke & I would undoubtedly leave a positive impression.

Fatso

FollowupID: 743350

Follow Up By: Brian Purdue - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 19:15

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 19:15
Thank you Fatso. Had you said that before you would have been received with acclaimation. But you did not. We all know about the undisirables and my personal preference is, or actually was, is to bush camp away from everone so "yobbos" as you term them never interferred with me. One day a week I used to go to either a caravan park or a motel for a clean up and shower so I never had trouble with dead-beats.
Enjoy your trips. At almost 80 years of age they are now a thing of the past for me. I just read every post here every day. It brings back fond memories of places & people.
Happy travelling
Brian
FollowupID: 743355

Follow Up By: Bernie C - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 20:22

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 20:22
Well done Brian,

Would have been a bit on the nose after a week.

Kind Regards
Bernie

:-)

FollowupID: 743358

Reply By: luke80 - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 15:26

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 15:26
I agree with you Rossy
AnswerID: 468940

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:09

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:09
"Gov or businesses could subsidise barge fees" I agree, maybe they could subsidise the fuel and tyres on my 4x4 also so I could go on more trips, and while they are at it they could pay for my air fares to Thailand next year. I think you are onto something here rossy
AnswerID: 468974

Reply By: BJ - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:18

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 22:18
We loved Inskip Point. Took the kids there for years and recently took the kids AND grandkids as well. BUT we won't be back.

Last time we took the dog ( a mini poodle) and did the right thing - on a lead down to the beach, then let him loose on the hard sand below the high water mark because he is a mad ball chaser. We walked up the beach towards the point throwing the ball into tie surf for him to return. A ranger drove up and we got a $60 fine for having a loose dog. That's it for Inskip for us.
AnswerID: 468975

Follow Up By: rossy - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 18:17

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 18:17
sorry to hear that you could have out run the ranger, they don't have powers of arrest.
FollowupID: 743354

Follow Up By: BJ - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 19:24

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 19:24
once you get over 60 it's hard to outrun anything!!! and he was in a car!!!
FollowupID: 743356

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 08:28

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 08:28
We have noticed in our travels thatAustralia is a pretty dog unfriendly place. In Paris you can be in a restaurant and a little dog can be sitting on a chair at the table next to you and nobody bats an eye. We don't have dogs anymore but used to like taking them to the beach when we were younger. There are too many people now, that's your problem in a nutshell.
AnswerID: 468989

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 13:10

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 13:10
G'day Mike
Actually, when I was in Paris I noticed that nobody batted an eye about dogs crapping in the street, right outside the bistros. Nobody bothered to pick up after them either. Different culture.

In a nutshell, too many people? Couldn't agree more and would add, "with vastly greater mobility and thus access to more places more often". Different problem.

For other contributors.....Personally, I hate it as much as anyone but I don't know what else to do in response to access pressure other than to manage access (restrict, contain, price). If you were the said "bureaucrat" what the hell else would you try to manage? Population? Vehicle and recreational equipment sales? Manners? Answers please.

I could tell you a long story that perfectly illustrates the problem. It's about a place on the north coast of NSW I've visited in the 70s, 80s, 90s and noughties. Shortly told, it went from being almost pristine "private" beach/coastal forest to a soulless sprawling camping ground, behind a beach now comparatively denuded of fish and cruised endlessly by 4WDs. Before that you had to walk. (And yes, I love my Troopie).

What happens with too many dogs happens with too many people when they don't all act nice and clean up after themselves. And for the yobbos, whose empty bourbon and coke cans, half melted stubbies left in oversized, half burned fires located at water's edge are those? Just some great guys having fun huh? Same bleep, same results.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 743341

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 21:05

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 21:05
went to Inskip for the first time a couple of years back, about a week after the October hols, expecting a pristine beachside few days off. Having paid our fee for the camping and entry, we proceeded up the road and were breathalysed, before finding there was barely a site to be found that didn't have crap paper, bottles, cans and general litter everywhere. You might say "what do you expect after holidays" but isn't that why we pay for the upkeep? How long does it really take to clean up? Behaviour aside, and you can only imagine the "good times" during the holiday weekend, but is it too much to expect a clean up? That'll be our last time. So much for a nice, quiet few days off. Funnily enough, I had read on here shortly beforehand a bloke saying he'd gone for years but won't be going anymore for the same reason and I thought he was a bit precious and comparing it to the old days. He wasn't. I shudder to think what it'd be like after Christmas or Easter.
AnswerID: 469025

Follow Up By: rossy - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 14:19

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 14:19
exactly
FollowupID: 743394

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 14:18

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 14:18
One of the problems is so many people go camping, boating or 4wding to escape responsibility.

And that includes responsibility for their mess, their social habits and their regard for the law.

They fail to understand that you can not escape responsibility.

Unfortunately they ruin it for everybody.

People need to learn that it is possible to have a good time and behave like a civilised human being at the same time...in fcat it works better that way.

The only option left is to stay home at peak periods and or travel further.

cheers
AnswerID: 469064

Reply By: have a go - Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 22:21

Wednesday, Nov 02, 2011 at 22:21
We have travelled all over QLD and decided to do a list of what we haven't done yet so we have something to work on before retirement. After I looked at the price for the five of us and the camper trailer Morton was taken off. We are glad we have done Fraser a couple of times before it got busy. Just hope WA doesn't get like it is over here before we turn into full time grey nomads.I prefer that term than (old).
AnswerID: 469091

Sponsored Links