<span class="highlight">Pyrenees</span> Gathering 2011 trip report

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 20, 2011 at 15:42
ThreadID: 90205 Views:2328 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The day dawned early for the intrepid Bonz, organiser of the gathering and all around nice guy, 1230am in Wellington NZ for an early flight back home to the gathering. All over Victoria people were soundly asleep dreaming of a fantastic weekend. Mr Weather Bureau had predicted outstanding weather and there was a bumper crop of eager participants on the list for the 2011 Pyrenees Gathering. Bonz lay in his bed contemplating getting up, any minute now, safe and sure in the fact that Dust Devil, as promised, was already at GlenPatrick, had staked out his claim, got the genny and Sat TV working, finished off the last minute tasks in the never ending Lucy List and had already setup the GPS event for Saturday. Seems he was wrong.

Bonz arrived at GlenPatrick mid-afternoon, hoping that his panicked request for shorts had gotten thru to the Local Government. There were a few players onsite already, Trish and Trev and a party of many, and Ifeellikeanewscreenname and Curry Lamb, the weather was spectacular and things were starting to relax. But no Dust Devil! Maybe that’s a blessing in disguise. The GPS competition quickly became a trivia quiz and people started filing into the Reserve and setting up. Eventually around 50 revellers including a swag of kids had a great weekend catching up, meeting new people and helping others out. And Bonz’s engine in the Patrol was still going after the gathering (unlike the last one ….)

Friday evening people gathered around the fire to catch up and were welcomed by Bonz. He outlined the plan for the weekend and then everyone settled down to a great chin wag and catch up. Matt and Julie bought enough paperwork to cover off all peoples needs and there’s some left over for the next gathering too. We even left a few rolls in the Reserve ablution block just to say thanx.

Saturday dawned wonderfully and the 9:30 trip left dead on time at 10:15. Shortly into the trip Glenn radioed that he had done a rear tyre. A thumb size hole in the inside wall. All hands to the fore and the essential repair tools sourced (Camera, jack and tyre irons – in that order). The Prado was jacked, moved jacked again and the spare onto the back to resume the trip. Rox commented that now she was a little worried with no spare. Ominous sign of things to come. Not 200m down the track those words came back over the radio – We’ve done another tyre! That couldn’t be a joke could it? Nope, sure wasn’t, this time it was a little more serious, a nice slice in the side of the other rear tyre, no spare and halfway up a rocky climb. Out came the plug repair kit and the slash was plugged and tentatively reinflated – success! But what to do now? Common sense said go back the way we came, but when has sense been common?. Bonz had been up further and it got lots rockier (like the Picture Show, but less externally worn underwear) so Toonfish first, then Glenn was carefully guided metre by metre backwards down the hill. Toonie managed to clock something hard doing a fifteen point turn on the track to turn around, rearranging the rear bumper on the 100 Series and Glenn managed the way down expertly with no more damage and little lost but a whoosh of air over the edge of a particularly nasty rock. Two more inflations and we were back at camp, Glenn licking his wounds and everyone else tucking into a feed. Luckily NowIamMemberNo1 was heading up that afternoon and bought along another tyre for the trip home. Glenn tried to apologise but there was no need. The way everyone pitched in to help, take photo’s and care for them in need was magnificent to experience, and is the essence of the 4WD fraternity

Saturday afternoons trip up North Glenpatrick track and back around in a loop was a great time and the lovely weather just topped it off.
Saturday afternoon into the evening was a chance to sell a few raffle tickets, raise a bit of money for the GlenPatrick Reserve Committee and rest up. Bonz managed to feed himself mooching from various accomplished cooks and chefs with the lamb (thanx Glenn)and porcupine meatballs (thanx Corinna) a delicacy!

The trivia quiz was great fun and the major prize of Lifetime membership went to Toonfish, just having paid up the week before, oh well mate, no refunds! Dust Devil had managed to secure a South Australian recipe for mulled wine which went down magnificently and added to the timbre of the evening around the fire which went well into the night (see below for one of the results)

Sundays trip was a short run, and we also did a bit of geocaching (see www.geocaching.com) on Old Mill track with Dash, the geocaching expert, finding the prize 50 or so metres off the track – good job Dash!

All in all a great weekend had. Great to meet new people and catch up with others seldom seen. As we all headed off Bonz could be heard muttering – they should have had a prize for the one who came the furthest to the Gathering……. Oh well next year!

Image Could Not Be Found
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Nov 20, 2011 at 21:24

Sunday, Nov 20, 2011 at 21:24
Gday
I think people that drink should not have their photo taken.... Wes's mum said that is a new rule in our house.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 470517

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 07:05

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 07:05
But we do enjoy a nice weekend away..

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 745032

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 18:30

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 18:30
good rule
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 745083

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:02

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:02
Gday
So where is the new number plate Bonza ?

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 745097

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:16

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:16
Muz
Gee your a handsome chap first thing in the morning
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 745101

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:45

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 21:45
Gday Muz
Imagine what i would look like if i was a drinker...

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 745108

Reply By: Member -Toonfish - Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 23:02

Monday, Nov 21, 2011 at 23:02
hah great report mate
the cruiser is eyeing off a new rear bar as i type ,depending on the finance ministers approval .lol
the whole family had a ball and the better half had a good drive sunday as well
another good outing
cheers
2013/14 around oz adventure bound

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 470605

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 00:14

Tuesday, Nov 22, 2011 at 00:14
Trendsetters

As usual there are a few wrongs (omissions in this case) with 'Arthur Bonzarellis' trip report which I'll correct immediately.

(a) On Saturday, at the site of the Prado double tyre disaster, Bonz gives the order to turn around and head to 'safe ground'.

Well, good old Muzbury being Tail End Charlie does just that. He executes the perfect 3 point turn, or would have been perfect except for the fact that he decides it's all cool on the 3rd point of turn which takes him off the track (parallel to it) across some nice knee high lush grass..

Doh! Doh! and double Doh! the front left hand wheel assembly of the 'Missan NISSAN' disappeared into the mother of all hidden holes, resulting in said vehicle ending up with front left hand end down a hole and the rear right hand end sticking up in the air with wheels 'a spinning'.

Then to top off the humiliation of it all, he was recovered/rescued by a 4 cylinder something or other driven by none other than Little Wes. Talk about keeping it in the family.

Oh! and the last gem of that fiasco - Dad & Son had to go into beg, borrow or steal mode for a shackle to complete their recovery gear setup that they used.

(b) We arrive at the designated 'safe ground' zone and wait for everybody else to turn around and extract themselves from 'enemy territory'

So! we are all having a chit chat or what ever when Toonfish's young boys decide that I need to have a look at the 'Big Dent' that dad just put into the rear plastic bumper.

So I inspect it and yes!, he has clobbered a tree, stump or rock etc and SWMBO is not all that happy about the caved in rear left corner.

Anyway the young dude who has just provided the informative show and tell scoots up over the back tail gate and up onto the roof rack and joins his brother sitting on a spare tyre I think it was.

A couple of us observers call out to Toonfish - how fast do you think you would have go to 'blow them off'. A short conversation then takes place re same and thats the end of it.

Bonz turns up and everyone is accounted for and the convoy starts back to camp.

Next thing I hear in a loud shout from Musbury is - Hey! Toonie your kids are still on the roof rack. - as Toonie is backing around to get in position to place it in "D" for Drag.

Talk about a triple Doh! ( The boys had been removed from the roof and placed in their seats, however when mum and dad weren't looking, they slipped out and re mounted the roof rack.) Gobsmacking, imaginative, adventuresome forethought by the boys that still has the hair on my neck standing up thinking of possible consequences.

The convoy makes it back to camp and and the next event/omission takes place when member from Bendigo arrives with a new tyre for the Prado after working Sat morning.

(c) Capt Bonzarelli strolls over to me and says - got ya tyre pliers with you - knowing full well that they are in the Troopy at all times.

Yep! Do you know how to use them.

Of course I do, I changed a couple of tyres on the Ford awhile ago using them.

I give them to him and off he goes. I finish a late lunch and decide to have a look at how the tyre changing is going.

Well Trendsetters I have to tell you all, that watching the Bonz wrestling with the Tyre Pliers whilst attempting to hold them in place with one foot on the ground and the other sort of on the Tyre Pliers was not a pretty sight. But damn funny though. Still ROFLMAO at the thought of it.

Some assistance from others and another 20 minutes or so and the tyre was changed for the new one, inflated and all was good.

All in all a great week end was had by all.

DD

AnswerID: 470608

Sponsored Links