Sunday History Photo, Au

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 07:08
ThreadID: 90584 Views:3777 Replies:12 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Blue Hills, written by Gwen Meredith, was an Australian radio serial about the lives of families in a typical Australian country town called Tanimbla. "Blue Hills" itself was the residence of the town’s doctor.

Image Could Not Be Found
The photo above was set to promote the serial.

Blue Hills was broadcast by the Australian Broadcasting Commission for 27 years, from 28 February 1949 to 30 September 1976. It ran for a total of 5,795 episodes, and was at one time the world's longest-running radio serial. Each episode lasted 15 minutes.
The famous opening signature tune was taken from a short orchestral piece called Pastorale by the British composer Ronald Hanmer. Until Hanmer moved to Australia in 1975, he had no idea that his work had been used by the ABC and had become so famous in Australia (although few Australians could have identified its composer). He later re-worked this short piece into a longer orchestral work titled Blue Hills Rhapsody, which he recorded with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra.
Its listeners so identified with the characters on the show that ABC had to hire more staff to deal with fan mail sent to the show's fictional characters.
Peter Wilkinson poured thousands of cups of tea as the sound effects man on Australia's longest running radio serial Blue Hills.

Peter Wilkinson spent 17 years providing live sound effects for Blue Hills.
Every time someone had a "cuppa" (and they had plenty on the show), opened a door, answered a phone or caught a train it was Peter's sound effects wizardry that generated the sound, live on stage, not the prerecorded post production "SFX" of the digital era but real hand made sounds.

People sent in birthday cards, get well soon cards, baby clothes and even ration stamps for characters who were struggling, Ingrid says.
Blue Hills kicked off in February 1949 and ran for almost 30 years until its creator, Gwen Meredith, stopped writing because she'd 'simply had enough'.
Gwen Meredith was born in Orange, New South Wales to George and Florence Meredith, and was their only child. She was educated in Sydney, first at Sydney Girls High School then the University of Sydney from which she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1929. Her father believed that, with the Depression, there were too many people needing jobs and that she should stay at home. She therefore managed the housekeeping and, from 1932 to 1939, owned and operated a bookshop.

Image Could Not Be Found

She married Sydney engineer, Ainsworth Harrison, on 24 December 1938. He proved to be "a devoted and supportive husband" and travelled around Australia with her as she researched her serials.
She retired in 1976 when the last episode of her most famous serial, Blue Hills, went to air, and she and her husband moved to the Southern Highlands of New South Wales, where she took up watercolour painting. Her other interests were gardening, bushwalking and flyfishing. She died at her home at Bowral on 3 October 2006, aged 98.

PART OF FINAL EPISODE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Don & Kathie M (TAS) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 07:38

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 07:38
Thanks Doug. I had always assumed Blue Hills was the region in which the series was set. Your piece brings back many memories of listening at lunchtime or while preparing dinner.
Kathie
AnswerID: 472218

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 07:45

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 07:45
Thanks Doug. Good old ABC brings back childhood memories - lunch while listening to The Country Hour to get the news and market reports, but everything had to be finished so there was 15 minutes of quiet for Blue Hills. Can hear that theme music now.

Also seem to recall that there was a call of the stock market in the early evening - took about 5 minutes. How that has changed!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 472219

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:00

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:00
G/Day Doug

We remember Blue Hills on the ABC.

In those days everything centred on the radio.

As mentioned, News / Stock Market Report /and various other things.

When you think about it, life seemed to be so simple in those days.

None of the Dog Eat Dog attitude of today.

Cheers
AnswerID: 472223

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 09:04

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 09:04
A ritual on our farm..heaven help any kid who made a noise when Blue Hills was on.
The first note of the theme resulted in sudden & complete silence. School days
intervened, but the attention returned later until the whole thing finished...
memories...aaah.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 472237

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 13:14

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 13:14
AAAAHHH yes the good old ABC, I remember as a youngster listening on my crystal radio to "Hop Harrigan" "Clancy of the Overflow" and the adventures of "Biggles"

Good memories Doug, thanks.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 472265

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 13:53

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 13:53
Gawd Barry, what have I started with this one, yes I too listened to Hop Harrigan with Tank on 5AD, 5KA had Speed King, King of Space, then there was Smokey Dawson, When a Girl Marries, Nightbeat, those last two were for the older Teens.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 747042

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 19:47

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 19:47
dont forget "Life with Dexter"
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 747070

Reply By: Member - Barry H (WA) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 14:28

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 14:28
Geez Doug I had forgotten about Smokey Dawson.

Regards

Barry H
AnswerID: 472271

Reply By: Member - Richard H - West NSW - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 15:37

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 15:37
Goodness me, there are people in existence who actually admit to listening to it?

I had to be subjected to dreary 'Bellbird', and as I came on at 6.30pm, dinner was served beforehand.
AnswerID: 472277

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 19:27

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 19:27
I can also remember 'Yes What' and the Bonnington's Bunkhouse Show.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 472301

Reply By: Member - Ray (QLD) - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 20:33

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 20:33
Gday Goug

Good one, I remember us all huddled around the radio listening to the different radio programs, my favourite was with Greenbottle.

Cheers

Ray
AnswerID: 472312

Reply By: B1B2 - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 21:00

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 21:00
G'day Doug,
Loved the bit about the signature tune. Today the composer would be looking for compensation, and deserves it.
You have certainly got people out of the woodwork this week.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 472318

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 23:57

Sunday, Dec 11, 2011 at 23:57
Oh yes i remember it well. Lunch always coincided with Blue Hills, and silence was held through the whole boring few minutes. My husband never forgave my mother for this ritual. My older sister called her first doll Queenie - no doubt from the leading lady in the serial.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 472332

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Dec 12, 2011 at 00:06

Monday, Dec 12, 2011 at 00:06
The show was run by the Rural Department of the ABC. I believe it was put on to indoctrinate the backward farmers around the countryside. After all, the show was so real that if they did not follow the new practices that the characters on the show then they would be nagged by their wives.

An interesting snippet:

"Gwen Meredith was commissioned first in 1943 to write a daily serial called The Lawsons which was intended to educate farmers in new agricultural practices. In 1949, Blue Hills took over and the serial ventured into a wide range of social issues including alcoholism, immigration, and the adoption of war babies, while one storyline concerned the romance between a white woman and a part-Aboriginal man."

Who remembers The Lawsons?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 472334

Sponsored Links