<span class="highlight">CPAP</span> machines

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 07:25
ThreadID: 91127 Views:3545 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Was wondering if any one uses these while out camping and any idea of how much power they use ?? I use one (just started recently) but havnt been camping since Ive had it and have no idea how much power it will suck from the battery overnight, As much as a fridge ?? I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated as we are going away for the long weekend and need to set up properly. Do I need an inverter ?? if so what size ?? .................
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:46

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 08:46
Hi Kimba,

Can't help you directly but in the top right hand corner of this page you will see a red "Search" button. I just put "CPAP" in there and got 20 forum threads on this topic. You would probably find some answers there..

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474540

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:49

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:49
Thanks Val I was putting in ""12V cpap machine" and was coming up with nothing then I put in what you said and yes 20 posts to look at. Thankyou very much for that much appreciated..Cheers
FollowupID: 749519

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:25

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:25
Hi Kimba,
I have used one 4WD camping for a few years and have had no problems powering it off a 300 watt true RMS inverter powered by a 85 AH AGM battery overnight without a problem. The same battery also runs a 38ltr Engel. I usually drive at least 4 hrs each day. I have a Ranox battery booster and never have battery problems as this is plenty of time to fully charge the battery.
Other relevant factors are what type of CPAP do you have and do you want to use a humidifier with it ?
I have a Resmed S9 Elite and when camping I don't use the humidifier as this greatly increases the current required. This doesn't seem to cause me any problems with dryness of the throat for a week or so away.
You need to have a look at the current requirement of your machine and work out the power required by the inverter to power it.

God luck with the machine.

Ken
AnswerID: 474570

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:47
Hi Ken, I dont use the dehumidifier at the moment, it has one attached but I have it turned off. Its only a trial machine at the moment and I need to actually purchase one but want one obviously for home and when camping. The one I have is a Phillips 2 grands worth but just checked on one of the website that was mentioned from the search on this site and there was one which was only $600 plus the dehumidifier not sure how much that is extra but reckon I would need it in winter time. Im currently on a diet and trying to drop my weight write down and see if it has any affect on the breathing/snooring at night. Only got really bad since I have put on additional 7kg on top of my over weight already. Put on the extra 7 kg since I stopped smoking last June so now is the time to pull my finger out and lose the weight as well....Will see what the power usage is on a few of them. I dont want some cheap noisy crappy thing I want some thing that is going to last. The one Im using at the moment ramps up and down (if thats the correct term) and adjusts itself to my breathing as well. My oxygen satuartion was under 50% (very bad apparently) Will post the results of the trial when I get home dont remember them exactly.Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 749518

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:05

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:05
I use one & have had no problem running it of the 12volt but I can't use the water section so I do wake with the driest mouth but still allot better than not using it & every camper for klms appreciates it. on my boat I run it through an inverter both water & pump but have heaps of amp power
It should have a lable stating what in draws in power so you can work out if you have enough power
AnswerID: 474581

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:11

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:11
Ok , rather than just saying search . I have some real answers . What brand is it ?I have resmed that came with a 12 volt adapter . The amount of amps depends on how much air it is pumping . Using the dehumidifier uses a lot more power . Google resmed battery guide , you might not have a resmed but it will give you some handy info . cheers .
AnswerID: 474597

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:53
Hi Glen

If you use the "search" function on the forum you will also get some results for resmed :)

The search function in the forum should be every users first port of call – lots of subjects have been covered before. Things change and people have different requirements etc. so no guarantee of success of course but you may find the answer you seek. This was all that was being suggested by J&V. Your advice to use Google (a "search" also I would have thought :) is also good advice though you can get overwhelmed by the information available. One good thing about the forum - more specific "real" information related to outdoors in Oz.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 749546

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 20:59
I havnt bought one as of yet im only hiring it. To purchase the same one that I am hiring is just under 2g, I just saw a resmed which is made by Phillips anyway, was on google which was $600 + extra for the dehumidifier so not sure what the total cost would be, this is the link that I found this is the one Im currently using

Philips Respironics PR System One Remstar Auto

Philips Respironics PR SYSTEM ONE REMSTAR AUTO brings a wide array of proven technologies together with patient focused advancements to create a truly intelligent sleep therapy system.

Everything You Expect and More
The System One REMstar Auto includes all of the great features you expect from a sleep therapy system including a wide pressure range (4-20cm), patient adjustable ramp, automatic altitude adjustment, data card, the latest "flex" comfort technologies, and a universal power supply. In addition the REMstar Auto is an auto-adjusting CPAP system so it will adjust your therapy levels throughout the night to ensure you are receiving optimum pressure for the most comfortable and successful sleep experience.

For the Respironics Internet Sales Policy please click here.

With Humidifier
RRP $2300.00
Our Price $1699.00

Without Humidifier
RRP $1995.00
Our Price $1599.00

Or this is the link, second last one on bottom of page
http://www.cpapexpressaustralia.com.au/machines/machines.php

FollowupID: 749547

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:06
http://www.cpapaustralia.com.au/shopping/universal-portable-battery-pack.html

Am I reading the chart wrong, 7 hours or 20 depending on model ?? $600 and only get 7 hours from it, better of buying a jumper start for 1/2 the cost and last longer or a 100amp hour duel batt ?? ............
FollowupID: 749552

Follow Up By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:13
http://www.cpapaustralia.com.au/resources/file/19825_battery-guide_glo_eng.pdf

Just found this, seems it gives all the figures required ?? (dont understand it all) so I will have to print it all out and and maybe go to battery world or the like and see what there tec guys say as to what I will need to add under the bonnet for a start to keep fridge running then also what portable battery/ device I need to use in tent for the Cpap machine......
FollowupID: 749555

Reply By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:23

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:23
I have used a De Vilbliss Auto Adjust for 5 years now. It draws approx 1.2A per hour. When camping in my own vehicle with inverter setup it handles the load easily but last year I travelled to the Simpson in another vehicle and camped nightly. For this I used a small battery pack of 24AH capacity and a small inverter("coke can" style. It never drained the battery too low and re-charged daily whilst driving.
AnswerID: 474650

Sponsored Links