<span class="highlight">Litchfield</span> National Park

Would appreciate advice on the best caravan parking spot at Litchfield. Anyone help?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:19

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:19
Hi Barry
There are Camp grounds available at Wangi Falls (which is always very busy in the tourist season), Buley Rockhole and Florence Falls. We like the caravan park just up the road from Wangi, at least you can normally get in there and it's not far for your swim in Wangi.
4WD camping areas (dry season only) at Tjaynera Falls (Sandy Creek), Surprise Creek Falls and downstream from Florence Falls.
There are several other caravan parks in Litchfield as well and there is a park at Batchelor which is the gateway to Litchfield.
Check out the NT Gov website for more info.
Safe travels
Rick P
AnswerID: 476861

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:15

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:15
Hi Rick - that would be the Safari Park we stayed at, when we found Wangi Falls campground overcrowded and not big rig friendly. It was much preferable.

As you say, there are several caravan parks on the Batchelor side of the park, but the Safari Park is much better situated for day trips. We cooled down at Wangi Falls at the end of each day's touring and walking.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752039

Reply By: desray (WA - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:31

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 16:31
don't forget the Mossie spray, there are zillions of the buggers in Litchfield
AnswerID: 476862

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:09

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 17:09
Nah... they only eat west-australians..... lol (:
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752014

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 22:39

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 22:39
really? we had no mossie problems when we were there last year, maybe being late in the season when we were there helped with them not being a problem.
FollowupID: 752047

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:04

Saturday, Feb 04, 2012 at 21:04
Hi Barry

I am currently working on my Litchfield travelogues! They will reach 'my blogs' here over the next couple of weeks or so.Wangi Falls is the only NT Parks campground suitable for caravans, it is very popular and has those dreaded NT Park bollards. We could not fit in. Four kilometres away is the Litchfield Safari Park, a basic serviced campground (including powered sites) on the edge of the National Park. We found a site (unpowered) away from everyone else with a bushland environment and decided it was far preferable to the Wangi Falls campground - and spent a few enjoyable days there.

If you are going soon and would like a sneaky preview, MM me.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 476893

Follow Up By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 10:41
Thanks to all for your advice. Looking to be there about mid year. Would a 18 ft. van be too big for Wangi Falls and what are the NT bollards?
FollowupID: 752102

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:08

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:08
Hi Barry

We were there mid August, but expect it to be packed out all during peak season; even worse during school holidays or long weekends.Check out School Holiday Dates

Most NT Parks campgrounds have sites defined with concrete bollards. In many places, they are only suitable for camper trailers or tents. At Wangi there were a few caravan sites - but all taken - they are not designated caravan only so it is first in first served what ever the camping outfit. In some other NT Parks campgrounds we have found a 'coach' one - long and skinny - that we could back into, and as we don't put out our annex we were OK. We have and 18' (internal) caravan and F250.

We much preferred the privacy of the Safari Park only four kilometres away, and as we took unpowered (no powered sites in Parks campgrounds anyway) it didn't cost us much more. So although upset at the time that we couldn't get in to Wangi - finding the Safari Park was really a bonus. Read my Review of Litchfield Safari Park

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 752111

Follow Up By: rumpig - Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:54

Sunday, Feb 05, 2012 at 11:54
here's a pic looking down at the 3 camp sites we had at Wangi Falls to give you an idea of what the place is like.

be aware that certain areas in Litchfield don't allow for trailers to be towed into them (even camper trailers), the carpark at Buely Rock pools is one such place.
FollowupID: 752122

Reply By: Member - Barry W (VIC) - Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 15:25

Monday, Feb 06, 2012 at 15:25
Thanks to all who sent such good information on Litchfield. Much appreciated.
AnswerID: 477126

Sponsored Links