Question: Travelling with <span class="highlight">Dogs</span>

Be interested if anyone takes their cats away in Australia and tips acquired. We saw a cat sleeping in a motorhome in Provence, while the owners were out walking and we are considering training our current two cats and certainly our next pussy for occasional life on the road.
Not so worried about them getting comfortable with the van, more concerned about adapting to new surroundings and how long it will take them to feel at ease outside the van with us at night.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:47

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:47
Hi, We are in the process of training our Rag Doll to travel with us. We have found that the secret is to start when they are very young. Start with a harness, then add a lead. Take them for a walk whenever you go yourself. Same with car travel. Good secure travel pack. We have a padded folding type. Cats don't like loud noises & need to feel secure. One of ours used to line up with the dogs for his ride every day. Just lay on the dash watching the world go by. That was until one day the van was loaded with a dismantled wood heater which made lots of noise. Now won't go in the car.
Get a placid type cat i.e. Rag Doll or similar. That said the couple next to us in Townsville had a Siamese & a Burmese that lived on leads on collars. Best kept in the caravan at night. We also have a fold/pop out mesh play pen similar to a shower tent for outside daytime use. A few favourite toys & plenty of company & they are no more trouble than a dog. Some say that is too much trouble but the company is great Bill
AnswerID: 479209

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:54

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 14:54
Bill would you like to send us a photo of your Rag Doll - maybe in the harness in the vehicle? Or in the play pen - I would add this to the article if you like to show others what's possible.
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

FollowupID: 754661

Reply By: Burky53 - Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:55

Friday, Mar 02, 2012 at 21:55
My Husband and Myself are just into our second month of Travelling around Australia, and we are Travelling with a 4 year old German Shepherd, a SEVENTEEN YEAR old Chinchilla cat and an 8 month old Cockatiel! The cat sleeps in the van all day and night, but loves to take me for a walk around the caravan parks or wherever at night. He hates a collar and lead, so he just walks unleashed. He loves his travel cage for the car and will stay In it even if the door is not on. He also has a fold up metal cage, four walls only, no top and tolerates that if he has to.
All in all, he is certainly enjoying himself and loves the attention from the people we meet. He does not show any hesitation about exploring the different places we stay, under my close supervision of course. Our animals are our family and that means they come with us. I do think however, that a younger cat/kitten may not be so amenable to change. But I say go for it and enjoy!.
AnswerID: 479236

Sponsored Links