Hilux 3L 2.8turbo Wont start cold.then OK

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 14:00
ThreadID: 96133 Views:7859 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Refuses to start when cold( First start of the day) Will start on tow eventually. Then starts within 1second after the initial start. Have changed glow plugs, no difference. 10.4 volts at plugs.Thinking it might be a fuel thing. Pressurised the tank and took of the return line from the pump to bleed lines..reatached return and cranked over the engine started and went full revs. Stuck on full revs!!. so pump throttle and came ok.. Am thinking maybe air leak in fuel line somewhere but that doesnt explain the stuck on full revs thing.Maybe injector pump itself ? any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 16:39

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 16:39
Try changing the fuel filter, I have seen it to be the cause of hard starting. Barnray
AnswerID: 488026

Reply By: Joshuah - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 16:40

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 16:40
Hi BILL,

Well I thought glow plugs, but you've replaced those.

Just stating the obvious:
Are you getting enough air?

Is 10.4v on the low side? My Lux battery volts drop to 11.something, or so, but no lower. Tried charging battery right up or whacking in another to test?

Aside, on my HiLux, although the glow-plug dash light goes out, the needle on my voltmeter doesn't pop back to 12.7 or so for another 3-7 seconds after. I wait for that to happen before cranking. Gives best starting result.

Finally, my brother had an issue similar in his old Landcruiser (2H motor), revving after starting - after many days of prodding it was found to have a 'busted' (leather?) diagphram in fuel/ induction system. Lots of black soot out tail pipe.

Hope some of this is of use.

Joshua.
AnswerID: 488027

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 18:03

Saturday, Jun 09, 2012 at 18:03
I know you said you have checked the glow plug voltage, but is the voltage at/touching the centre contact of each glowplug?
It may be on the feed BUS BAR but not supplying current to the glow plugs.

Does it crank ok? You didn't say.

Check the current flow to the glow plugs with a clamp tyrpe multimeter whcih can detect the degree of current flow. These two checks will prove if the glowplugs are ok and they are being fed.

The glow relay may have developed a resistance across its contacts. This will/may supply some voltage to the system but probably not enough to glow and light the compressed fuel spray.
If you have a faulty earth somewhere, when starting it may cause a resistance and the effective voltage to fuel pump solenoid might be not enough and then it will shut off the fuel. Won't happen when towed because the current/voltage supply will be around normal.Check ya erfs real good like.

Ross M
AnswerID: 488032

Reply By: BILL - Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 08:02

Sunday, Jun 17, 2012 at 08:02
Thanks for everyones advice and suggestions. Yesterday I changed the fuel filter housing. As the primer pump didnt work anyway and put a new fuel filter on the old girl. Well this morning it is cold enough to freeze them off a brass monkey. I hit the ingnition, waited for the glow light to go out , and success instant start. Whether it was a air leak or just a dirty filter dont know but seems to be fixed. Cheers
AnswerID: 488690

Sponsored Links