Centre diff lock on... "brain" in nuetral

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:12
ThreadID: 9853 Views:2379 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
After 4 hours of tracks in Otways I started to head home, travelling gravel roads in high range, centre diff lock on. Ended up travelling 4 km on bitchemin before the brain came to life again.
WAs travelling at 60/70km mostly straight with a couple of curves left and couple of curves right.
No noises (except from me),no windup felt, I assume if you break an axle due to the stess you would know about it.
In top gear things turn slowly so maybe I'm lucky?
Any feed back if my Prado 120 should be inspected?
Thanks
Joe
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:42

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:42
Joe, good you can own up to mistakes. If there was much sign of a problem after that small exercise I reckon a lot of Prado drivers would be shaking in their shoes. Has happened a lot of occasions in Landcruiser, Hilux, Rodeo and lately GU with me. Tyre wear is your first concern but after that short distance it would be minimal.

Than again perhaps I don't know enought about the Tojo drive train these days ; )Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 43506

Reply By: donk - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:44

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:44
Joe

I doub't that you would had done any damage in 4klm of sealed road driving that was predominatly straight ahead

As you said you would have felt or heard something if a problem occured

If anything in the drive train had failed in a constant 4wd vehicle you would probably know about it because when the centre diff lock is disengaged the drive goes down the path of least resistance

As for asking toyota to inspect it if you advise your dealership of this & the transfer failed at a later date they would possibly deny a warranty claim

The only way to inspect would be to remove & disassemble the transfer & the last thing you want to do to a newish vehicle is to pull apart a factory assembled item unless you are experiencing a definate problem

Regards Don
AnswerID: 43508

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:50

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 12:50
Gday Joe
in my experance you would have heard or felt any problems due to leaving it locked & abroken axle even with free floating axels would be aparent
so i would say relax & stop worring
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 43509

Follow Up By: Joe - Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:27

Monday, Jan 19, 2004 at 15:27
Thanks Guys,
Feeling much better now!
Joe
FollowupID: 305788

Sponsored Links