Advice required: <span class="highlight">Generator</span> for battery charging.

Submitted: Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 22:11
ThreadID: 98645 Views:5664 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
When we were last at Fraser we stayed for two weeks. The weather was constantly overcast and after about one week the batteries weren’t receiving sufficient charge from the solar panels to run our fridge etc. The problem was overcome by utilizing the auxiliary battery from the car but that's a bit of a nuisance. This year we will be there for three weeks so I went against everything I believe in and bought a generator... for backup… purely to charge the batteries.
The generator has a dedicated 12V-5A DC receptacle for charging batteries. While at home I use a Projecta AC1500 12V15A 10000mA charge and maintain, battery charger.
My question is: While away should I use the dedicated receptacle on the generator or should I plug in the battery charger?
Does the 5A and 15A referred to, indicate the Projector battery charger would charge three times quicker?
Thanks in advance,
Myles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 23:31

Friday, Oct 19, 2012 at 23:31
Hi Myles, I would not use the 12v gennie output for charging batteries. It is not well regulated and could do harm to your battery. Use the Projecta charger which is two-stage 10 amp output which would charge maybe twice as fast as the 5A gennie output.

The "15A" in the Projecta specification refers to its "RMS" output which is misleading. The maximum current whist charging a battery is 10,000mA which is 10 Amps. I don't know why charger manufacturers are expressing output in mA rather than Amps. Perhaps because the larger number looks more impressive!

There is some reservation about the pairing of the Projecta charger with a generator. If the generator is not a 'sine wave' output type there may be some issues supplying the charger. If you tell us the gennie details perhaps someone may have experience in this regard.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 497001

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 09:33

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 09:33
To add to Allan's post. I have noticed that a number of generators have a 12v output, but it is limited to exactly 12v and as such is designed to run appliances and NOT suitable for battery charging. You need more than 12v to charge a battery (unless its very flat), generally 13-15v.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 772748

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:40

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:40
Another vote to only use the charger from the generator.

Cheers,
Barry
FollowupID: 772755

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 13:59

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 13:59
Myles, I tried to keep my first response above concise, but there may be need to add a little more........

The 12v 5amp output from the gennie is intended for supplying portable camp lighting etc. It is not designed for charging batteries. If it were connected to a battery there is no guarantee that it will deliver 5 amps because, as Cravenhaven has said, you need more than 12v to charge the battery. With respect, Ross M's idea below of using both is not what I would want to do.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 772763

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:04

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:04
Allan, Cravenhaven & Barry,
Thanks for your reply.
My generator produces pure sine wave. It’s a Kipor Digital Inverter Series 2 GS2000. It states ‘The DC receptacle may be used for charging 12 volt automotive type batteries only. The zero load voltage is 15V-30V.’
FollowupID: 772768

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:07

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:07
Thank You Myles, for alerting the above posters as to the status of the 12v output.
My Honda Eu 20i even has battery clips on the end on the charge lead so you can connect it to a battery. Honda intended it that way. That's why they have that feature.
As mentioned previously it will charge the battery The Honda at 8amp supposedly, so will bring up the SOC of the battery but is not regulated to any respectable degree. It alone is too slow.
While the battery is "down" on charge the two can be used to quicken the charge rate while the Projecta should only be there for the finish for regulation and battery protection.

As suggested, the projecta will be a switch mode energy transfer device and may not like working on a generator which isn't full sine wave in it's 240vac output.
FollowupID: 772778

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:31

Sunday, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:31
I was wrong, quite wrong, about the intended use of the nominal 12vdc output of the generators and my apologies to Ross. Whilst not owning one myself, I was relying on my memory of earlier thread comments of others. Now after reading the specs of the Kipor and Honda generators I see that they nominate the dc output for battery charging.

Nevertheless, I would suggest caution if using this output to charge batteries. It is not as controlled as a multistage battery charger and would need to be monitored to ensure that the battery was not overcharged. Ross' proposal to use both the direct output together with a multistage charger would certainly speed the charging but would need careful attention.

The other consideration is that because of its lack of regulation and limited output, the gennie dc output will take quite some time to fully charge a decent-sized battery, with the gennie running all that time. A much better way would be to use a 35 amp multistage charger from the generator's 240vac output which will both charge much quicker and without risk to the battery. But of course, if you already own the gennie and a smaller charger, then you may accept need to accept a compromise.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 772808

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:00

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 10:00
G'day Myles
When you need to use the generator and your batteries are down a bit I would use the 5amp out from the generator and although it is not regulated it is 5amps and because it is there I would use it. However, I wouldn't have it connected when the batteries are near charged because of the lack of accurate voltage regulation.
While the 5amp is running and to the end of the charge up I would also use the Projecta for additional charge input and it will finish the charge and regulate its output as required when the basic 5Amp has been disconnected.
If it is a 100ah battery it can take near 20 amps of charge current and your potential falls within this.

So start with both and finish with the projecta. They are both insulated from each other while they charge. It is like having two separate car alternators charging a battery system.
As above, you have both, you may as well use them to your advantage.

With both, the charge rate will be around 3 times just the unregulated output of the generator. As others said, the stated charge rate figures are misleading and not real life.
AnswerID: 497011

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:05

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:05
G’day Ross,
I hadn’t thought of implementing both. I usually keep the solar panels connected through the Anderson Plug from setup to packup. I guess there’s no reason to unplug them either. I would only run the generator late afternoon for top up if the need be and I could monitor the charge and unplug the dedicated DC charger on the generator when the batteries were approaching full charge.
FollowupID: 772769

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:16

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:16
My solar works on my battery in the vehicle and while connected the alternator also runs with the engine providing additional charge.
I have also used my switchmode power supply/battery charger off 240vac while the solar is connected. Usually off outback station generator plants.
No problems yet and batteries got charged ok. I do however, monitor the charge rates and voltage level often. I use a Jaycar $25 digital meter with the system for instant checking.
FollowupID: 772780

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 11:21
Gidday Miles,

As Allan says, use your battery charger with the genny, mainly because it is a 10amp multi stage charger and will look after your battery, but also because it will charge your battery quicker than the gennies 12v 5amp output anyway, twice as quick. Batteries need a good belt in the early stages of charging anyway.

Your generator needs to be a sine wave output genny so that it does not damage your sensitive equipment, which includes multi stage battery chargers, as Allan says.

That's half a beer off the IOU. LOL

Huh! Fraser Island aye, and for 3 weeks no less, alright for some. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 497015

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:08

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:08
Bruce,
All right… but only half! We often spend Christmas at Fraser. Very few people are there before Christmas and we usually leave Boxing Day when everyone else is arriving. We have Christmas lunch at Eurong Beach Resort and there are very few people there either. Keep it to yourself though… we like it quiet.
Myles.
FollowupID: 772770

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:47

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 15:47
OK Myles, I won't tell a soul. LOL

Just another peice of advice re the genny charging batteries.
It is best to charge in two hour blocks about 2 or 3 times a day.

This way you get the most into your battery for the least amount of genny time. Easier on the ears and the neighbours that way. The bulk of the charge occurs in the first 2 hours.

Good to have a laugh with you mate.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 772772

Reply By: Honky - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:54

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 17:54
I now they are expensive but why do people who just need a generator for battery charging not get a dedicated petrol 12 volt charger like the christies.
Must be cheaper than a sine wave generator and battery charger combined. Those things can put in up to 90 amps per hour which means you would not have run them anywhere near as long compared to using a charger rated 10 amps.
If i did not already have a genny and 25 amp charger it would be the way I would have gone.

Honky
AnswerID: 497023

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 20:24

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 20:24
I made up a Honda 100cc2.2hp engine with a car alternator on a bracket to the crankcase. With suitable pulley sizes it outputs at least 50 amps and charges well. Good as a backup and half the price or less than a Christies.
FollowupID: 772793

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Oct 21, 2012 at 00:13

Sunday, Oct 21, 2012 at 00:13
Honky, the christies unit is very noisy and that presents some issues if you prefer to have harmony with any camping neighbours. The invertor generator is quiet and it surprised me that a C Tek 25 amp charger didnt take much longer to recharge to a 100 amp agm batterys. I had a 4 hp honda driving a 80amp alternator and iall things considered I thinlk the Yamaha Invertor Generator and the 25 amp C tek is a better choice. In practice the batterys wont accept a high current for long and I found the batterys were only accepting 25 to 30 amps from the alternator after about 15 mins run time.

I think the C tek with its multi stage charging catches up a bit on the alternator as the battery charge comes up, that is I think the c Tek must manage to get more current over a longer period to bridge the gap in the recharge times.
FollowupID: 772797

Reply By: Branko R - Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 22:20

Saturday, Oct 20, 2012 at 22:20
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 497040

Sponsored Links