<span class="highlight">Wiring</span> for Water pump

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012 at 13:48
ThreadID: 98789 Views:1833 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

I have just bought a camper trailer that has a water pump but the wire is not connected to any battery or power supply yet. I was wanting to know what wire i should be using and what is the best way to connect to a 12v battery?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012 at 20:03

Tuesday, Oct 30, 2012 at 20:03
Hi. If it is a sureflow pump it should have a pressure switch fitted with two wires coming from the switch. One(the neg wire) should go to earth. The other (positive wire) should go to an on/off switch which is usually mounted in the area where other controls/switches are. The other side of the switch then goes to the battery or positive 12v supply. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 497648

Follow Up By: Glenn M4 - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 16:11

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 16:11
Thanks Bob,
I will most likely use 3mm wire. Does it matter if this is any wire or does it need to have some amp capacity rating?
FollowupID: 773553

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 19:59

Thursday, Nov 01, 2012 at 19:59
It will depend a bit on how far the distance is between the battery and the pump. Maybe have a look on the pump or box and see what the amperage rating is. The longer the wires the heavier they should be to reduce voltage drop. It is better to go a bit heaveir but still practical enough to feed them through where ever they will go. The wires on the pump may give you an idea to start with. Forgot to mention, make sure there is a fuse in the positive wire. Closer to the battery is better. Cheers, Bob.
FollowupID: 773564

Sponsored Links