any nice free camping spots between north NSW and south QLD

hi all,

I get a visitor for 4 weeks, to join me camping around Gold Coast.
Wondering if you would help me out with some nice spots that show the beauty of AUS, lookouts, camper close to beach, historic ghost towns maybe, water falls.... best breaky in the back country...

Nimbin and Lismore are on the list, Surfers and Redcliffe, Mt Gravatt lookout, hot springs in Mitchell and the outback around it.

Is there a festival web page showing whats going on in each time of the year?

thanks for any info
Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 10:03

Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 10:03
Hi Chris

There is a nice spot on the Richmond River just west of Broadwater. It is called Dungarubba. It is beside the Broadwater-Coraki Road and just east of Kilgin Road. There are toilets and picnic shelter there. Nice grass and shade. I cycle to there quite often.

It can also be accessed from Woodburn by crossing the high level bridge in town then turning right onto Kilgin Road and follow it to the Broadwater-Coraki Road then turn right and it will be there. A nice tour through farmland beside the Richmond River.

Type in Dungarubba in Google maps and you will see where I describe.

Enjoy it.

DW
AnswerID: 500006

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 11:04

Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 11:04
Hi Chris, sorry don't know the area, but can recommend looking at Camps (Aust wide) 6 book, its brilliant for finding spots. The spots are often free or low cost and the book gives info on them. I imagine google should give info on festivals,events, try also tourist bureau.
MG
AnswerID: 500010

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 13:08

Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 13:08
HI Chris,

In terms of festivals the Woodford Folk Festival is one of the biggest around starting Dec 27.
Have a look at:

http://www.woodfordfolkfestival.com/

There is camping on site but its certainly not free.

There is a close by free camp at Cruice Park (junction of Kilcoy-Beerwar Rd & D'Aguilar Highway) but has a 20hr stay limit and would probbaly be full at the time of the festival.

Cheers
AnswerID: 500016

Reply By: Krooznalong - Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 13:49

Saturday, Dec 08, 2012 at 13:49
Don't miss Minyon Falls (just Google them). Easy to get to and worthwhile. Byron Bay whilst you're in that area.

Not much to see in Lismore.

Do a google search on the various regions in SE Qld and Nthn NSW. This is where you'll find any festivals.

You should include the Granite Belt - plenty up there. Great scenery, waterfalls, lookouts etc. Also much nicer climate, especially if you're going in Summer - no humidity for starters.

Re camping - get yourself the 'Camps' book - that'll give you a few places to camp for free.

Surely you can do better than Redcliffe and Mt Gravatt lookout. Mt Coot-tha's not a bad lookout.

Surfers - yuk!

AnswerID: 500019

Reply By: chis@du - Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 15:13

Sunday, Dec 09, 2012 at 15:13
thank you all, very kind very helpfull. I wrote all down and check it on google maps.

Well coming from busy noisy European Cities, a peaceful spot like Lismore can be really jaw dropping :)
AnswerID: 500066

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:27

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 14:27
Go further west and you will get real peace , the further west you go the more peacefull
FollowupID: 776209

Follow Up By: mike g2 - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:58

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012 at 10:58
Had one more after thought, google earth MAY have the spots or the areas , from what I have seen, has vision of almost everywhere and is quite a good way to look at localities ,try the ground view feature as well. Is downloadable for free and you can use your mobile or a doogle to access the net.
MG.
FollowupID: 776280

Sponsored Links