Moderation system is designed to ensure operational transparency for both users and moderators. This means that moderation actions are publicly exposed. The purpose of visible moderation is to temporarily halt activity on a post whilst the moderators seek a resolution with the poster who has infringed a rule.
There are two slightly different instances to moderation. This first is when a reply or followup requires moderation. Under normal circumstances the moderators try to maintain the integrity of the thread by leaving the moderated message in view, which clearly shows readers that something has been removed. In extreme circumstances however, the moderator may be required to remove this message.
The benefits of this approach are:
- explanations are visible for "missing" posts during the period where the moderator is actively working on a resolution
- reasons are stated for why posts have been removed
- provides users with a way to gain a better understanding of the Forum Rules
- helps to avoid the need for moderation of these issues in the long-term
- minimises the time involved in dealing with inappropriate posts
The second instance, is when a new thread is created and the text, links or title is in breach of a rule. The moderator must ensure that the moderation action removes the infringing message from view so it is important that these posts are alerted to the moderator as early as possible. Rather than respond to such posts, forum
users are asked to leave them unanswered and to use the Alert Moderator button at the bottom of the post to ensure that moderators are made aware as soon as possible - remember moderators are NOT policing the site, nor the Forum
waiting to pounce, but if they get an email they can be prompted to check the Forum
and take action. If a problematic post is left un-moderated, the unfortunate result is that people can become upset at having their responses removed at a later stage when the moderator does finally notice the post so please take responsibility for your own posts.
If the person who breached a rule can present a reworded version to the moderators that is acceptable then the moderator can edit the post with the new version, remove the moderation message and reopen the post to the public view. Sometimes this whole process may take some time and patience should always be observed. Remember - moderation is a reactive task and is only done when time permits by our team of moderators.
Other benefits of our moderation process are:
- users can feel safe knowing their words aren't being tampered with by moderators
- moderators are cautious, knowing their actions are visible
- moderators can undo/re-instate removed posts
- other moderators can inspect what was removed
- moderation can be tracked leading to better identification of trolls, spammers and other serial pests