Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:01

Fran & Col

Good Morning,

I need a bit of help.

My husband and I have a 2009 coromal pioneer silhouette 421 campervan, we are extemely happy with it.

We are heading off for a few days at Easter, I would like to install a 12volt electric water pump from the water tank, instead of using the old manual pump, we have a tap on the AFrame and a tap on the sink inside the van, whats involved??

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

Have a great week everyone, thanks again
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Back to Forum
Thread Watch Alert Moderator FAQ
ThreadID: 84844 Replies: 2
Views: 4894 FollowUps: 5
This Thread has been Archived
Thread Summary
AnswerID: 447542   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:22

Member - Bruce C (NSW) replied:

Good Morning Fran and Col,

I would merely get a 12 volt pump such as they use in caravans with the built in pressure switch and connect that in the line to your sink. These pumps are readily available on ebay for around 60 dollars.

You then need to get a tap such as a flick mixer the likes of which you use on your sink these days, or something similarly suitable such as used in caravans etc., and connect the pump up to 12 volts via a switch near your sink.

To use the new pressurized system you merely turn on the switch at the sink, this provides power to the pump, then turn your tap on and you have pressurised water.

If you want the tap on the frame to also be pressurised also then connect the line to the frame tap into the pressureised line just after the pump and there you have it.

Image Could Not Be Found
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.
Lifetime Member: My Profile  Send Message
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 1 of 2
FollowupID: 719830   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:25

Fran & Col posted:

Thanks Bruce, will mention this to Col with the diagram and see how we go.
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 1 of 4
FollowupID: 719858   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 13:46

Fran & Col posted:

Bruce, Can you use the existing normal tap that is there now, or do you need a mixer tap??
Thanks Fran
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 2 of 4
FollowupID: 719915   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 19:36

member - mazcan posted:

hi bruce c
the electric switch mentioned above is the master power switch you leave this on until you have finished your stay where-ever
the tap when turned on will activate the pump via the now live pressure switch and when the tap is turned off the pump will run for usually a few seconds until the shut off pressure is reached and the pump will then stop untill such time as the tap is turned back on etc etc

just remember to turn off the pump master switch before travelling as if a hose etc was to burst or the tap came on due to severe corregations etc you will have a very wet van and
/ or no water left
just thought i would put you clear on those facts the pumps are very good if clean water is used you can also install an inline filter as well
make sure you use quality hose clamps when installing pump inline as if there is any leaks the pump wont be able to build up its standby pressure to shut the pump off after the tap is turned off and will keep surging same thing if tap is'nt turned off properly
its just a case of getting use to it
very simple really
enjoy the convience
"quebbambiddybumtal" attempt to achieve the impossible immediately and a miracle a little later
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 3 of 4
FollowupID: 719917   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 19:45

member - mazcan posted:

hi darian
yes very good advice there for bruce on the noise issue
take care of the mounting isue and you will hardly know you have a pump on board and neither will those parked next to you
i put a thick rubber pad under mine
to absorb the noise
"quebbambiddybumtal" attempt to achieve the impossible immediately and a miracle a little later
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 4 of 4
AnswerID: 447550   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 10:45

MEMBER - Darian, SA replied:

Our van has a Flojet pump - very common to the RV sector as I understand it - boating too - fused 12V power supply - switch near the sink - water in, water out - our model has a screw on/off SS mesh filter on the inlet side - as mentioned above, the pressure switch closes and opens the water flow in response to your tap use. They can be mounted flat or vertical (they can even run dry without damage) - a tip..... these pulsing pumps produce noise (which resonates in the water lines too) and they can drum loudly if mounted to some thin resonant surface. Better to mount it to a solid non resonant surface if possible and allow the water lines near the pump to 'move' a little with the pulsing, to reduce the overall noise. Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 2 of 2
FollowupID: 719885   Submitted: Monday, Mar 07, 2011 at 17:37

Member - Boobook posted:

Yes, Flojet are the go. I have had a few and flowjet is the only reliable one i have had.

Also you MUST put a decent filter in line if the water has any solids or they stop pumping.
200 with 2012 Tvan Canning
VKS Mobile 1523
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 1 of 1
EOTopo 200K 2015 Release Out Now! Sponsor Message
Raster map set avail to download/Memory-Map/SD/USB. Features high quality, high clarity,200K scale whole of Australia topo map. Now with road distances, road names, campsites & POIs. Latest update!