<span class="highlight">Caravan</span> microwaves

Submitted: Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 16:51
ThreadID: 135339 Views:4189 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We had a microwave in a new jouney JaycoCaravan that lasted a doz uses. As it was out of warranty we fitted another cheap small one from K Mart. It seems to work ok. my
question is ate all microwaves suitable in caravans or are there units specifically madefor caravans ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 18:18

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 18:18
John, I would not worry, any old/new microwave should do the job, just need to make certain there is enough ventilation for it.
AnswerID: 612855

Reply By: Member - Jim - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 18:19

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 18:19
johno59,
I think you should turn it off at the power point until you want to use it, normally when on mains power.

There are many times where you may be connected to generator etc. when the battery charger will also power up and the microwave will exceed the generator capacity.

Cheers,
Jim
AnswerID: 612856

Reply By: Dean K3 - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 19:25

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 19:25
Microwave is simply that a microwave just the physical size and wattage (power output) that changes, nor am I referring to the $59 specials at Kmart Aldi etc either they in class of their own.

However I do seriously question a microwave in a caravan in first place.

On basis of simple fact they require a large amount of power (energy) to operate them, and availability or suitability of main power, some places have a very dodgy mains power scheme and some equipment simply don't like it

Even then would input current be able to sufficiently supply to microwave plus battery charger and other mains equipment, it be pushign the limits of the 15a maximum. .

If you tried to run it on generator most generators as used by travelers (typically a 2kva) would struggle to provide sufficient power (watts) to make them operate properly.

In my mind better off using that little cubicle as extra storage for food or similar light items

Besides most caravan parks these days have a camper kitchen and typically its got a microwave so one can easily go nuke the spuds or make the porridge if really needed

AnswerID: 612857

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 21:35

Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 21:35
Sounds like you are a freedom camper. They work well for those who frequent powered sites and also use a microwave at home.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 883268

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 20:18

Friday, Aug 04, 2017 at 20:18
They are very handy to have. But, they don't like being shook up. The insides fall apart and you are looking for a new one.
I have found too that many are not installed to protect them from the rough roads so they are looking for an excuse to fail.

Get a caravan repairer to install a new one. They have experience of failed microwaves and will do a better job then the OME supplier.

b ill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612858

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 07:19

Saturday, Aug 05, 2017 at 07:19
Got a cheap microwave i bought at Kmart sitting loose in the back of my 4wd's canopy that I use to heat my lunch up at the work jobsites....it's been bouncing around for 2 years now and still works fine.
AnswerID: 612868

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 12:45

Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 12:45
Hi Johno,

No special design for "caravan microwaves". They are just a standard 240v jobby. However, the physical size of a microwave that may fit in to a built-in compartment (if one exists), may restrict the capacity to 800w or thereabouts.

I have a built-in one in our Goldstream Camper and it is secured by a bracket to hold it in place. It did come "loose" on one off road trip. The plastic feet on the bottom broke when they bounced around in the metal cups attached to the wooden base of the microwave cubicle. I made new feet out of nylon stock, turning them up on my lathe and they now provide a more practical alternative to the hard plastic crap that was installed originally.
Have made many more off road trips and the microwave is secure and sound.
We don't actually use it all that often, but is handy on occasions.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612905

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 16:12

Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 16:12
I always put a thick cloth between the heavy glass plate and the drive spindle when travelling.
Dave.
AnswerID: 612908

Follow Up By: rumpig - Monday, Aug 07, 2017 at 11:27

Monday, Aug 07, 2017 at 11:27
Being I bought the microwave myself for my fourby, I kept the cardboard surround my microwave plate came in the box with, it locks the plate in place to stop it bouncing around / stop from breaking
FollowupID: 883278

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 21:42

Sunday, Aug 06, 2017 at 21:42
The biggest problem with these ovens is the cavity they are mounted in. Have a look at the handbook for your model. You will note that the recommended clearances around the oven are much larger than is provided for by van builders. Add to that the complete lack of ventilation provided to the cavity by the van constructor. To get them to work in hot weather you need to replace the vent at the back with a much larger one. My microwaves have lasted much better since I put a vent about half the size of the back of the oven behind it.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 612917

Sponsored Links