Best quality second hand semi offroad vans on a 20k budget?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 12:28
ThreadID: 140386 Views:8317 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday group. The wife and I recently sold our camper trailer & are looking at taking the plunge to buy our first van. We have a 3 year old and she is currently 7 months pregnant with our second child. We're based in WA & have a modest budget of about 20k. We've narrowed our search to the following semi offroad poptops but are open to suggestions:

goldstream sovereign
windsor escape
coromal pioneer silhouette
junko swan/eagle outback

Our tow vehicle is a hilux. Your thoughts opinions and experiences with the following brands/models would be appreciated. TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 14:09

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 14:09
Rhys, Maybe rephrase that second sentence! Doesn't sound quite right.
AnswerID: 633004

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 15:58

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 15:58
Pretty sure you can work out whats being said here.
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 909902

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 17:20

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 17:20
Sure can, but it isn't what is said.
FollowupID: 909905

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 19:07

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 19:07
Come on guys - we've been asking you for YEARS - stop nit-picking on spelling, grammar etc and only respond to the question being asked. No one wants to be chastised and once you post, the OP no longer has access to the EDIT button. Forum regulars - this is YOUR doing and is of no fault by the moderators.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 909906

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 16:55

Monday, Aug 17, 2020 at 16:55
Hi Rhys T1,

I don’t have much experience/knowledge of the other brands, however we have owned a Goldstream. They are well built, strong, and should serve you well.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 633005

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 08:53

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2020 at 08:53
Hi Rhys,
Perhaps you could provide us with some more detail on what you intend to do with the new van? For example, will it be occasional weekends away, or are you intending to do longer trips? Will it be on smooth dirt roads only, or something more challenging?
In my opinion, having owned a Jayco Penguin, it's fine for weekends, and not too bad for dirt roads, but I wouldn't advise a Jayco pop-top for extended periods or any of their "off road" vans for anything other than dirt roads unless you are prepared to spend some time modifying and strengthening the van and its interior.
My daughter has a Coromal, and it's much better built.
AnswerID: 633020

Reply By: Marty D2 - Friday, Aug 21, 2020 at 17:36

Friday, Aug 21, 2020 at 17:36
Hi Rhys,
Another tick from me for Goldstream re: build quality and service.

I have a 2014 Goldstream Vacationer II pop-up very similar in size to the JAYCO SWAN in off-road guise.
Tows beautifully behind a MAZDA BT-50 ute.
It has not seen any really rough tracks because I think it is too big to do that and not damage stuff IMHO.
(yes - the MAZDA would get me there and back)
However, I spoke at length to another Goldstream owner last year when we crossed paths in SA on our way to Uluru, who had almost an identical pop-up to me and he had dragged it everywhere off-road in Nth Qld, NSW and VIC High Country and it had not missed a beat with regular servicing - name a famous track and he had done it.
Also, I have friends who have had JAYCO from new and if (when) it breaks, JAYCO fix it under warranty NP, minor things really, which doesn't really apply to you with second hand other than if the vans you are considering have had issues, they would have been fixed already so may not present again as a problem to the next owner.
Re: your budget, you will get more choice and perhaps a later build year or features if you go a JAYCO.

First pop-up van, with a really young family, you might not go full-on offroad unless you have some favourite spots to revisit, so family comforts might take precedence as all vans will go where you want if size, clearance and a-frame length are all equal. My tip is whatever you buy, ensure your mattress is Queen-size and has innersprings.
Regards,
Marty
AnswerID: 633070

Sponsored Links