Running ExplorOz on car headunit/stereo

Hi guys, Is anyone running ExplorOz Traveller on the vehicle head unit/stereo?
If you are what brand of head unit are you using please, Im looking to upgrade my pajero stereo and want to run maps on it
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 19:09

Thursday, Dec 02, 2021 at 19:09
There's quite a few posts in our Facebook group about this where people have posted their photos already
see https://www.facebook.com/groups/exploroztraveller/ so maybe start with that...

There's also this Forum post asking which head unit from May 2021 that got a few replies. Which head unit

Also on the Polaris website you'll find their units specifically state "works with ExplorOz Traveller" see https://polarisgps.com.au/product/universal-maxx/ and https://polarisgps.com.au/product/toyota-luxx/

Hopefully more people will post their photos to this thread for you. Personally, we're still very happy with T'eyes SPRO 10" and haven't had the need to change it in the last few years since we installed it.

The trick is:-
1. you must get one that specifically allows access to the Playstore to download any app of choice - not restricted to Android Auto apps only

2. all modern headunits will have built in GPS to show where you are when offline - you just need to download the maps (EOTopo covers whole of Australia and you can store them all with just 5GB)

3. all will allow you to Bluetooth your phone for making/receiving phone calls or running online services from the accounts on your phone, however....

4. for internet data usage directly on the headunit there are 2 options:- either make a hotspot connection from your phone, or put a data only SIM into the unit (not all headunits will have this option).

We use a $15/mth Telstra SIM in our 10" T'eyes SPRO. This way we can use any of the online apps or services offered on the headunit directly without having to setup a hotspot connection to the phone ie. (Spotify, Netflix, Playstore, Chrome webbrowser etc). It's just easy and simple that way.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638758

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 00:53

Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 00:53
I run a Digi options LC200 replacement 10" screen and it runs ExplorOz, Google Maps, Igo8 and Wiki Camps. Often I will run 2 mapping apps together and occasionally 3, but that does cause the occasional crash of the currently displayed app. The mapping can be a tad laggy if several apps are open, but have been impressed overall.

Normally I also run Spotify (if in internet range) while hotspotting the phone. My only real gripe is the bluetooth handsfree microphone is crap, even with the external microphone supplied. Normally end up using the phone on speaker (in cradle) as the person on the other end otherwise struggles to hear me.

The digioptions is not perfect, but have yet to find a better option.... YMMV

Cheers
AnswerID: 638759

Reply By: Member - Mintinta - Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 10:01

Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 10:01
I purchased a RAM No Drill Seat Mount - iPad, iPad Mini, 7" Tablets, iPhone 6, 6Plus - TAB3U from Telstat Communications. Just used existing bolts to attach to the lhs of transmission tunnel in landcruiser 100. My iPad Pro fits into the holder and I run all my Exploroz maps etc on the iPad. Works really well.
I put in an Alpine head unit with reversing camera to replace the old Toyota unit, and can run apple play and google maps onnthat as well.
AnswerID: 638760

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 15:24

Friday, Dec 03, 2021 at 15:24
It's probably a good idea to head over to the Pajero Club of Victoria forum as well. There are extensive threads about replacing head units incl the T'eyes SPRO and importantly the wiring/cables/adaptors needed to mate the unit with the steering wheel controls and the Mitsubishi MMCS Rockford Fosgate system.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 638763

Reply By: 116hynes - Monday, Dec 06, 2021 at 06:59

Monday, Dec 06, 2021 at 06:59
If you are planning to use the internet via a sim card with the head unit be aware that all of the head units i’ve had, including Teyes, use band28a, which is only part of band28. Telstra uses band28. This means you will only get internet from towers that fall within the band28a spectrum. I live in Yackandandah NE Vic. I get a strong signal but no internet, when i go to Wodonga i get internet.
AnswerID: 638780

Follow Up By: Member - pedro1 - Friday, Dec 10, 2021 at 19:35

Friday, Dec 10, 2021 at 19:35
Probably better off using your mobile and hotspotting WiFi to the head unit , that way no issues with band as well as the option to use a external antenna for stronger signal
FollowupID: 917556

Sponsored Links