Which head unit

Submitted: Monday, May 31, 2021 at 06:54
ThreadID: 141875 Views:9990 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
New to exploroz Traveler but its looking good. I have it on my Samsung note 9 (android) and also a tablet that I tinker with while sitting at home.

We have an 80 series land cruiser and looking at replacing the head unit with a newer stereo. Does anyone have Traveler appearing on the head unit and if so what make/model do you have? Or alternatively, what tablet do you have in the car?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 07:49

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 07:49
I use a Samsung 10inch tablet in the car . Custom mounted and it is great. It is just left of centre of steering wheel and line of site over bonnet is within legal limits. I find the big advantage is that a quick, simple and very safe glance from the road to the displayed map is a big advantage over having a smaller, dash mounted screen that requires a lot more concentration and eyes off the road time than how mine is set up. If I were to get another one I would get a 10inch tablet that will take a sim card for data.
AnswerID: 636622

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M121 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:00

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:00
Can I ask how you mounted it? I know it says custom but did you screw or bolt to the dash?
FollowupID: 914576

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:25

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:25
I used a large suction cup to mount to windscreen. Then extended the arm from the cup to the tablet holder. Positioned the tablet so it was in the right position and also manufactured 2 "arms or brackets " that attached to the back of the mount to give it mor stability when off road. It is very solid now. I also put some insulation on the rear to stop direct sunlight hitting the tablet (too much heat will cause the lithium battery inside to swell and tablet is cactus)...dont ask how I know!!! I also ran the power supply direct to my 120amp/hr lithium in the rear of the vehicle so the tablet stays in sleep mode and does not drain from the start battery. The 10 inch screen is far and away better than the previous 8 inch screen I had. When paried to the mobile phone it is good for web browsing and e-mails...something I dont do on the little mobile phone screen.
AnswerID: 636623

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:48

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 08:48
Bigfish, is it possible to get a pic of your mount set up and the insulation used. TIA. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914577

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:58

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 09:58

I can just see the top of the bullbar when driving so perfectly legal vision. This is in a 2014 Pajero Wagon. Tablet does not move . Mount was purchased from e-bay to suit a 10inch tablet. Same as this one...car mount

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 636624

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M121 - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:34

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 10:34
Thank you :-)
FollowupID: 914583

Follow Up By: Member - John - Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:19

Monday, May 31, 2021 at 13:19
Thank you also
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 914587

Reply By: gpsoz - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 20:06

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2021 at 20:06
The lastest in dash unit from Polaris runs traveller. It’s android based. https://shop.gpsoz.com.au/products/polaris-universal-luxx-in-dash

AnswerID: 636646

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 18:05

Thursday, Jun 03, 2021 at 18:05
We use the T'eyes SPRO 10" which we bought online from the Chinese electronic superstore AliExpress however that was a few years ago but has all the bells and whistles and we have no need to upgrade it but there was a firmware upgrade available and we did that. It's developed by Russian developers and David found it after a lot of research revealed nothing like it available anywhere in the market. Fast processor, high screen resolution, SIM card slot so no need to even use Bluetooth or hotspot from your phone to access your Spotify account, or Playstore account etc. Includes all the usual lane avoidance alerts, reversing camera and we added front camera, and a second screen for our towball/hitch. There have been a couple of newer models released since then and there's even an Australian distributor now (no affiliation). But you can still buy from AliExpress (a lot cheaper).

However, we've noticed the exact same unit with some newer dashkits are now being distributed under various different brand names and we don't see any problem with that as its an awesome bit of kit. You're just paying more but you'll at least you'll get an English manual and videos and won't have to struggle with the Russian like we did. Here's the latest one we've seen pop up - VHEDIA

Just be careful whatever headunit you get that it definately supports full access to the Playstore NOT just limited to CarPlay/Android Auto. Traveller is NOT available in CarPlay/Android Auto.

There are brands coming out all the time...

The crux is:

1. headunit MUST support full access to Playstore (not limited to CarPlay/Android Auto).
2. headunit MUST obviously have a GPS built in (pretty standard these days) - we've also found some headunits have unusual GPS driver programing that unlike your usual smartphone/tablet manufacturers haven't been upgraded to comply with new app store protocols for location/privacy/navigation settings - so we have written a special option in Settings in the Traveller app for people with Headunits to get around this issue (thanks to Polaris who supplied a test unit so we could figure it out)
3. check that the headunit is running a reasonably recent version of the Android OS - Google have already ceased support for Android 7, so you want Android 8, 9, 10, or 11 (the latest) and check for upgrade pathway to get longevity - its the old OS that causes most of the problems with complex app support
4. check specs for CPU and if there's various options/models get the one with the fastest CPU
5. ideal if the headunit offers its own SIM card - otherwise you'll have to hotspot to get version updates, download maps, data sync tracking, places updates, etc

Hope this helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 636664

Reply By: Member - Peter M121 - Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:26

Friday, Jun 04, 2021 at 07:26
Thanks Everyone. I will investigate some options
AnswerID: 636672

Reply By: David S279 - Saturday, Jul 10, 2021 at 21:50

Saturday, Jul 10, 2021 at 21:50
Has anyone tried running Explorer on a Vhedia unit?

https://vhedia.com.au/product/toyota-landcruiser-100-series-head-unit-1999-2006/
AnswerID: 637111

Sponsored Links