WA rear seat removal

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 22:23
ThreadID: 144925 Views:7373 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,

Wanted to remove my rear seats (legally) in my dual cab Ute to build a storage setup for travelling around Australia. It seems like you need to get a compliance plate and then an inspection. Has anyone in WA done this before? What process did you have to go through? Who did you use to do it?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 22:39

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 22:39
Maybe you could ask Andrew st Pierre White
( 4xOverland ) he's in wa and is all ways pulling vehicles apart .. my guess is he'll say it Poppy cock
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 641796

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 23:17

Thursday, Oct 06, 2022 at 23:17
DoT WA Mods

See under: Simple: Modifications that require the vehicle to be inspected
> Simple: Body and interior, seat, modifications

Seat removal should be a pretty simple DIY job. Also need to remove seat belts apparently.

AnswerID: 641798

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 00:57

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 00:57
Kai, page 18 in the link below provides all the relevant requirements. If the arrangement you propose is permanent, you need to remove the seatbelts, ensure all body holes are plugged to prevent the entry of fumes, and the completed setup must be signed off by an "approved motor repairer" or "engineering consultant".

The vehicles number of seats must be changed officially in the registration records, and the factory GVM must not be exceeded.

If the vehicle category is altered, the inspecting person will want to ensure that any ADR's applying to the new category can be met.

Naturally, the inspecting person will want to be satisfied that the new storage installation is properly attached, and will not become dislodged in a crash, and that the vehicle operation and functions (particularly safety systems) are not impaired by the storage setup.

VSB 14

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 641801

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 06:28

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 06:28
This question is perennial one on forums, it hinges on the question of temporary or permanent removal. WA often has a different slant on things, but the links in previous replies refer to the permanent removal, if the state is like others temporarily (definition often unclear) may not require any or minimal inspection and approval.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641802

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:52

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:52
Nothing in the WA documentation that I saw mentions temporary or permanent modification Warren. They do EXPLICITLY state the following though:

• All vehicles using Western Australian roads must comply, where applicable, with the Road
Traffic (Vehicles) Regulations 2014 (The Regulations) and the Australian Design Rules (ADR).
• The National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications (VSB14 Ver.2) is utilised by the
Department of Transport (DoT) to assist defining the requirements and standards of light vehicle
modifications to ensure compliance with the relevant ADRs and legislation is maintained.

The fact that WA makes distinctions between: (1) mods requiring no inspection (mostly cosmetic/additions of basic things like lights, bars, roof racks etc), (2) mods requiring basic inspection ("simple"), and (3) more complex mods requiring engineering certification suggests to me that to be strictly legal on WA roads you need to comply as stated.

HOWEVER, as you and others suggest, in practice it seems unless your vehicle is inspected for rego, rules may (are) not often enforced.

Probably irrelevant now but decades ago I temporarily removed the rear fold up seat of my MQ Patrol SWB. When I later went for rego inspection I was told that either the seat goes back in or the rego category would change from station wagon to goods vehicle (more expensive). Half hour job so I put the seat back in.

It goes without saying that any storage structure/luggage which replaces the rear seat should be properly secured.
FollowupID: 921173

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 08:50

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 08:50
Hey Bazooka,

My B-I-L had the same issue in Victoria when he went to transfer the registration over of a 200 Series GXL that had had the rear (3rd.) row of seats removed. He required a roadworthy certificate, and was advised that unless the seats went back in, the vehicle would not pass a roadworthy test. When he contacted VicRoads for confirmation, he was advised that for roadworthy and re-registration, as the vehicle was registered as a 7 seater, it had to have the rear seats in place. However, once the re-registration process was complete, as long as the removal of the rear seats was temporary and could be replaced at any time, there was no need for an engineering sign off. If however, the removal was permanent, the vehicle would need to have an engineering sign off and be re-registered as a 5 seater.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921179

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:02

Saturday, Oct 08, 2022 at 12:02
Probably still would have passed muster with many private roadworthy inspectors though Macca.

Does it really matter? In most cases I suspect not. There are always exceptions but I doubt there are stats which show significant safety issues are involved. Dodgy bros inc still exists but not nearly to the extent it once did with vehicle mods. And, if someone was stupid enough to carry passengers in the "freight" area then they can be sanctioned via other rules anyway.

Still better to be compliant in case I guess, esp where insurance is concerned.
FollowupID: 921181

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 06:52

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 06:52
I think you need to look at this closely to see if it really needs to be done or if you are unintentionally getting caught up in modification rules.
The impact to the resale value if your vehicle will be seriously impacted if it is replated

I would say the interpretation will hinge around temporary or permanent, if you were inspected what is to say you only pulled the seats out last week and you are reinstalling them next week ?
AnswerID: 641803

Reply By: GarryR - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 07:58

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 07:58
I am not sure of the ruling in other states, including my own but, I removed the rear seat and designed and had made an aluminium storage box that uses the original seat bolting brackets, hence the box can be moved in any direction. The lid is also has side latches. I also have a small ally box made to go on top that is bolted to the lid using nutserts. As there is only 2 of us, there is also a floor well water tank, approx 50l which we can gravity feed or 12v pump water from. Many people have seen what we have done,police and various inspectors, and nothing has ever been said. It all looks safe and correct according to them. Hope this helps, as not to say I am correct or legal as to ADR rules.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641805

Follow Up By: Member - Core420 - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 09:39

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 09:39
In Victoria no certificate is required for such modifications in a light vehicle.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/modify-or-build-a-vehicle/modify-or-build-a-light-vehicle-or-trailer/removing-adding-and-replacing-seats
FollowupID: 921153

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 08:59

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 08:59
I'd say one in four touring 4x4 wagons have their centre and rear seats removed on a permanent basis. In Victoria you have to remove the seatbelts so they cant be used in any situation and an inspection done. I'm sure you don't need it engineered. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 641807

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 10:29

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 10:29
Lots of 7 seaters also have 3rd row removed as well.
FollowupID: 921155

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 16:27

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 16:27
Interestingly (in WA) I was told that if the modification (seat removal) was NOT permanent, the seat belts MUST remain in place.
FollowupID: 921163

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 16:52

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 16:52
Zippo, I was quoting Tim Bates on YouTube, he explained it for Victoria as it applied to him, the rules are so different state to state. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 921166

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 17:34

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 17:34
Michael, it remains a mystery to me WHY the states can't agree to have common (national) rules on all things vehicle and traffic.
FollowupID: 921169

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 17:45

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 17:45
ZIPPO...Answer is simple. To have standard rules and laws between the states and Territories would require common sense, cooperation and govt for the people. Pollies are too fixated on their own desires that citizens are not worth worrying about.
FollowupID: 921170

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:09

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:09
Ah Bigfish, you mean like THIS government?
FollowupID: 921171

Follow Up By: Kazza055 - Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:21

Friday, Oct 07, 2022 at 18:21
Hey, it's Friday and that was funny, is that aloud? ;=))
FollowupID: 921172

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 11:34

Friday, Oct 21, 2022 at 11:34
Many wagons have third row seats that can be removed quickly without even touching a spanner - they are designed to be removed quickly and easily, though you won't pass a roadworthy inspection unless you put them back in because the vehicle is plated to seat 8, but can obviously only (legally) seat 5 without the third row.

I think you'd have to encounter a really cranky cop to be defected for it (or doing something stupid like having passengers 'sitting' where the seats were removed).
FollowupID: 921265

Sponsored Links