It's Not Just the Ball at Risk

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 12:19
ThreadID: 144971 Views:5028 Replies:10 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
A recent loss of a driver's life in Colorado illustrates again the risk of inappropriate recovery techniques.
In this case a whole section of a 'dropped' hitch failed and became a projectile.
Here is the scene.....

This is the projectile.....

And this is the fracture.....

Probably no need to add anything..... the lesson is evident.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 5 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:42

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:42
Wow. Hooking onto the ball is never recommended. Look at the leverage applied from the ball to the receiver, plus I suspect the tube is not up to scratch; that part should have bent not fractured.
AnswerID: 641893

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:49

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:49
Maybe that tube in the receiver was already suffering from stress attrition before the incident.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921287

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:59

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 16:59
More to the point, that shows why HR use solid shanks and not RHS material. I wonder what the maximum working load that the hitch was rated for?

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 921288

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:16

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:16
Peter, as well as the hitch rating I can only wonder what the weight of the pair of vehicles was.
The article referred to "Super Duty" which I understand is Ford's term for their oversized pickups. They probably weighed about 4t each!
Using inertia is never a good way of releasing a vehicle from a deep mud bog. By its nature, mud sucks (in more ways than one) and a slow steady pull is more effective at overcoming the vacuum factor.

An article with the full story is here.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921289

Follow Up By: Happy Explorer - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 07:57

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 07:57
Thankyou Allan for bringing this to our attention.
It is the graphic examples outlined here that reinforces just why one should NEVER do it.
I agree, so sad and tragic because it just should never have happened.
One has got to wonder about engineering approvals on this stuff though. The stresses on that crazy offset hitch could never have been considered acceptable, surely. As you point out, it must have already been fractured from towing and this finished it off. Normally this recovery exercise would have caused it to bend as pointed out and to break like that is an example of longer term metal fatigue.
I just had a look at the standard Toyota issue one I use. While it does not have the offset of the one in the article, it is rather light tube (maybe 4mm) welded to this stupidly heavy tongue. Does not make sense really and easy to figure where the failure point would be should it ever fail.
Bazooka made a good point about tow points to. I have often enough looked at the ones on my prado and wondered if they would take the strain of a decent load. Never considered it could potentially kill the driver of the tow vehicle though. Scarry stuff. Can always upgrade your own but it would be when you are helping some other unfortunate that you could land yourself in trouble here.
Again thanks Allan as this is helpful stuff.
Regards to all,
Roy
Toowoomba

FollowupID: 921293

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 10:43

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 10:43
The snapped receiver looks like it crystallised steel from excessive heat when welded imo
Have seen jobs like that before in my former career..
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 921294

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 13:13

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 13:13
This may be of interest Roy:

Prado Bent Aftermarket Recovery Point

2:20 and 5:40 into video.

Shows Toyota standard tow points and aftermarket recovery points on a 150.
Pretty obviously the passenger side recovery point (alone?) has been used to recover the vehicle at some stage.
FollowupID: 921298

Follow Up By: nickb - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 23:37

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 23:37
My 4x4 has a towbar that is rated to 3.5T. I bought a drop down towbar insert (~120mm drop to suit my small 7x4 trailer) and it has a label that states MAX LOAD 2127kg which is about 60% of the original.
The drop down hitch in this incident looks to be 400mm so I wonder what it was derated to?
FollowupID: 921334

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:06

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:06
Nickb : my guess is this is not a rated tow hitch more likely homemade or similar as per my comment above
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 921337

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 11:50

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 11:50
Yep we should all know the rated limits of our equipment and what they really mean Nick, although I doubt the vast majority of us could estimate the actual weights/forces involved in a bog recovery. Towing is a completely different kettle of fish to a static pull.

Rating is irrelevant in this case. Drop down hitches especially are not suitable for recovery involving significant kinetic energy and force. The one in the story was pretty clearly placed under enormous stress, may have already had some weakness as some have surmised, but broke pretty much where you'd expect given the extreme drop on the hitch and the pivotal forces involved. Easy in hindsight and from the comfort of home.

The Robert Pepper link in my separate post below has the "full" story, explains why ddh's are generally a no no for recovery, and gives PLENTY of good guidance on techniques and do's and don'ts. Well worth a look.
FollowupID: 921340

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:22

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:22
Particularly sad that one. Similar to an accident a few years ago in Qld. From memory in that case a tow point failed and became a projectile, killing the driver of the extraction/tow vehicle via the rear window.

There are far too many of these unfortunately.

Au Incidents
AnswerID: 641894

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:38

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 17:38
The author of this article on that US accident is an excellent motoring journo, a rare breed ime :

Drop hitch failure

FollowupID: 921291

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 18:16

Saturday, Oct 22, 2022 at 18:16
Rhett Walker at Lorella Springs lost half of his face to a 50mm ball a few years back and survived to tell the tale.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 641895

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 08:05

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 08:05
There was also another incident up that way in the late 90's where a young bloke was towing a tractor tyre around (common enough to grade the tracks), with a strap. The tyre snagged and the attachment ripped out of the tyre and 'shot' him in the back through the rear of the car. Got some pretty severe damage. I cannot recall the names and places precisely, but I thought it was Lorella.
FollowupID: 921318

Reply By: Peter J4 - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 07:12

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 07:12
I've had a similar tow hitch fail like that when towing a large trailer, the chains held it and fortunately the electrical connection also stayed connected and I could safely brake the whole rig to a stop.
When a qualified welder had a look at the broken hitch he advised us that whoever made it in the first place had caused the problem, when the gusset was welded in it should not have been welded at the ends of the gusset where it tapers down to the tube as that creates a stress point which eventually cracks and the whole thing snaps off under load. It was sold as a heavy duty well known brand of hitch too.
It wasn't my vehicle or trailer I was just one of the drivers. We always checked the whole towing setup before driving and usually at breaks during the day and there had been no evidence of cracking before it failed.
AnswerID: 641896

Reply By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 09:06

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 09:06
The 'Hierarchy" of recovery techniques is useful to keep handy.

Cheers
Jim

"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 641897

Follow Up By: Member - Jim S1 - Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 11:57

Sunday, Oct 23, 2022 at 11:57
Here's a better image.

Cheers
Jim

"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." A fisherman.

"No road is long with good company." Traditional

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921296

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:06

Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:06
Most times it is unneccessary to to snatch and jerk a vehicle as hard as most people think!!
I have been recovering things from, tractors on muddy farms as a kid, 4WDs between the vic high country to cape york to more recently 50 tonne underground loaders buried under tonnes of rock under a collapsed stopes in Mining. The only thing I would like to comment on is "Discernment"
Most learnings for new offroad drivers is done on YouTube and it seems the only technique they learn for recovery is the most violent one! - 90% of the time if using a competent recovery vehicle - (eg 4WD with diff locks and suitable tyres) a chain (no stretch) low tyre pressure and a gentle pull will unstick most boggings. Just about every unprofessional recovery I witness is more an ego trip than a risk management exercise. All done in a rush with full throttle and infrequent safety considerations.

With a few obvious exceptions....
I suggest trying the gentle approach first but if the vehicle is not asuitable recovery vehicle - step out of the way and save your clutch, snatch strap and safety.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 641905

Follow Up By: Member - rocco2010 - Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:30

Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 11:30
A decade ago I got stuck in the mud east of Wiluna after some unseasonal rain disrupted the government environmental project I was volunteering on.

My rescuer used a chain. Told me his department had banned snatch straps for safety reasons.

I don’t recall the chain being all that “gentle” though.

Stay safe in the floods people.
FollowupID: 921308

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 12:07

Monday, Oct 24, 2022 at 12:07
The chain is just a chain - it has no say in the matter - it just connects you to the problem ...lol
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921309

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:16

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:16
The snatch strap would be safer if used correctly, can be used over and over again and can be cut to separate the
vehicle's if you really need to. If you shock load a chain it should be thrown away for safety reasons. I wonder how his department came up with the idea chain is better using it for something it isn't designed for.
FollowupID: 921338

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 20:47

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 20:47
Batts The whole point of using a chain is NOT to shock load it - As originally discussed….Safety wise this is by far a safer option for 90% of recoveries
Kerry W (Qld)
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921341

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 08:19

Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 08:19
Batts, I am not sure about how many times a snatch strap can be used until all the “stretch” has been taken out of it. Most “experts do not recommend repeated snatching operations. Yes, you can use a snatch strap in a “kinetic” recovery multiple times, but I am not sure how many. Once all the stretch has gone, it is just a “tow” strap, and not a snatch strap. Also, I don’t think I would be cutting it, if it is too long, I would use a shackle and double it back to the recovery vehicle. Happy to stand corrected if I am wrong.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 921343

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 09:06

Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 09:06
Hi Macca, I have seen "four pulls" nominated a few times but I don't know how they arrived at that. I think it was purely conjecture. The degradation of the strap would be not only the number of uses but also the severity of use, so a nominal figure is just that.... nominal. Provided that the strap rating has not been exceeded to cause filament fractures or weakened by other abuse, it should still be safe to use.

I consider that a major problem of snatch straps is that they are promoted as whizz-bang devices that will pop a stuck vehicle out with the ease of a champagne cork. So a heap of gung-ho drivers will display great prowess and apply heaps of inertia from the start without trying a gentle pull .

The real advantage (and purpose) of the straps is to allow the towing vehicle to attain some engine power and have the clutch fully engaged before the tow load is progressively applied without sudden shock. This is enhanced by some inertial energy of the tow vehicle to accelerate the towed vehicle. If much more inertia is required to dislodge the bogged vehicle then proper preparations have not been made and excessive loads are applied to both vehicles, the strap and its attachments.

So, if the strap is still achieving and absorbing the take-up shock to satisfaction, I would continue to use it. Gently.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921344

Reply By: Member - peter g28 - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 14:05

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2022 at 14:05
Another Darwin Award Winner...

I am in utter disbelief...

Really..
Using a snatch strap or such to pull out a 4wd weighing over 4000kg stuck fast in mud at the tow ball located on drop down hitch.

I feel sorry for loss to these families and the life long trauma the survivors will endure...

AnswerID: 641915

Reply By: Alan H11 - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 08:18

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 08:18
Thanks for sharing this tragic story.

I am simultaneously amazed however not surprised, that anyone would do this.

Anyway, putting on my professional Engineer’s hat, reinforcing what others have said (I’m supporting them not adding anything new):

The ball hitch was clearly set up so that the square section which broke was under huge bending stress.

The square section appears to have cracked at the lower edge, with the crack propagating upwards on both sides until the final separation was a ductile failure. It looks as if the crack had already been initiated under fatigue and/or work hardening. I’d bet that the fracture initiation was aggravated by lateral working of the vertical web welded to the front of the drop bar and the underside of the horizontal square section during previous “recovery” operations with the load not perfectly aligned.

The general appearance of the area shows some rust – although this may be superficial, it’s also possible that the entire structure was weakened by corrosion, so even if the hitch had not broken, something else might have given way with continued attempts.
AnswerID: 641918

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 11:08

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 11:08
Wearing a very similar hat I had come to the same conclusion regarding the failure - a fatigue crack situation similar to many seen in the aviation industry.
FollowupID: 921329

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 11:39

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 11:39
As per my FollowupID: 921287 at the top of this page?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 921330

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 16:50

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022 at 16:50
Definitely Allan. It didn't "just snap" out of the blue. Not a ductile failure.
FollowupID: 921331

Follow Up By: Alan H11 - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 01:05

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 01:05
"As per my FollowupID: 921287 at the top of this page?" - yes exactly - I'm supporting your view.

" Not a ductile failure." It's obviously not possible to be definitive on this, however my thought is that it appears (while not being certain) to be initiated as a brittle fracture in the lower part of the section and to propagate upwards - the photo appears to show a clean fracture structure at the lower section with little or no deformation, and some evidence of "tearing" of the metal at the upper horizontal part of the section, which indicates a final ductile failure.
FollowupID: 921335

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 02:11

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 02:11
Alan, as you observed (only) the final part - the upper portion of the box section - was anything like ductile. The lower part was IMO definitely brittle fracture.
FollowupID: 921336

Reply By: Member - nickb boab - Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:12

Thursday, Oct 27, 2022 at 09:12
A very sad situation and a waste of a life, It would have only taken a few minutes if that to remove that hitch and inserted the snatch strap for a safe recovery . There would be a lot of leverage with a tow hitch receiver being that long
Ronny Dahl has a pretty good video on YouTube on this subject and is definitely worth a look
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 641925

Reply By: Pepper - Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 16:31

Friday, Oct 28, 2022 at 16:31
In the first photo does it show the snatch strap has also failed ????
AnswerID: 641934

Sponsored Links