Travelling the Savannah way from Daley waters to cairns

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 16:41
ThreadID: 145778 Views:1900 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Via Borroloola and hells gate- Burke town. We were wondering what the road conditions are like. We have a ford ranger and off road hybrid caravan. Any advice or just don’t do it as we know there’s water crossings. We have experience with off road driving just not sure if river crossings are passable? Many thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 17:20

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 17:20
Its not a bad road at all. Drop tyre pressures on the dirt. Water shouldn't be too high and just be mindful of largish rocks at a couple of the crossings. I quite enjoy the drive and the scenery. Just don't drive like the idiots on the Cape York road and you will have no issues. Traffic is going along it now so you'll be right.
AnswerID: 643897

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 18, 2023 at 18:30
This road is unsurfaced and in the tropics. That means its condition is highly subject to the last wet season, the recent traffic and the last grader. This year may not be anything at all like last year. This week may not be anything like last week.
If the road is not OK for most vehicles or if it is wet and likely to be damaged by traffic, it will be CLOSED.
If it is officially "OPEN", my advise is to go and have a look. It may be smooth or it may be a bit cut up and quite corrugated. It may be a fast trip, or it may be very slow trip, but you WILL be able to drive it.
The water crossings are typically slow, but of little consequence.
From memory, the Cavert River is one to watch?

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643899

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:03

Monday, Jun 19, 2023 at 09:03
This is a pic of the Calvert River 'crossing in September 2019. (Same as Peter's above)

This was the Feulshe River Crossing, at that time there was nothing deeper or more difficult.

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923732

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:39

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 08:39
The Calverts biggest issue is the quantity of rocks in the river which are subject to flooding. Just be wary when you drive through. Another issue if there is a fair amount of traffic is getting up the incline when travelling East to West. The road can be muddy and wet from vehicles leaving the river. I,ve seen trucks having to be towed up the incline due to the slippery surface.
AnswerID: 643904

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:29
How recent is this info Bigfish? As you can see from my late 2019 photo, a concrete bridge/causeway had been built across the Calvert. Are rocks being washed onto the concrete? The steepish inclines could still be problematic as you describe in wet conditions though. There was also underground water seeping to the surface in a couple of spots on the western side making some muddy/boggy spots (but easy to drive around).

See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923744

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:31

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:31
I haven't driven over since the new causeway. That will be a blessing for many. Savannah way is getting like Bourke Street..lol
AnswerID: 643906

Sponsored Links