Archer River Roadhouse Sale

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 13:39
ThreadID: 145976 Views:2337 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Link to ABC site here.Roadhouse sale

Now owned by a mob which owns several others. I dunno, is it a bit like Bunnings that have swallowed up all the little guys in hardware? Giant agribusinesses versus family farms etc etc. Where will it end and is it good in the long run for what's left of the Commonwealth of Australia?
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 13:50

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 13:50
Well you can't complain Warrie. You had your chance…. it's was available for sale.
Can you cook a decent burger? lol

But corporatisation has been occurring since Day 1, with the public putting pressure on the little businesses to maintain low prices and flocking into the 'Bunnings' to buy. Maybe we get what we deserve?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 644100

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:11

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:11
Guilty as charged. Just back from Bunnings this morning. LOL But I can ride my pushbike there and Mitre 10 is a 4 km drive. Things have changed a lot since you were in Giles and before many here were not even a glint in a parents eye. Ahh, the good old days.
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924006

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:32

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:32
"Ahh, the good old days" indeed Warrie.
But at my age, tomorrow is the best day of my life. Eh?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924007

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:45

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 19:45
Hey boys : i drive pass Bunnings to go to mitre6 most times except for Sunday mornings for the sausage sizzle LOL ;)))
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 924012

Reply By: Dusta - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:27
Owner of Nullabor holdings is australian, it's an australian company and employs Australians . They own multiple remote roadhouses so if anyone was to take over it would be a company like this right ????????

Not sure Warrie how this is taking anything away from the "commonwealth of australia"

i have attached his linkedin profile for you Warrie

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tony-mcfadzean-99691983/

you should do some research
AnswerID: 644101

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:28

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 14:28
Article in this week's Cape York Weekly. Not sure that 'corporate giant' is the right sort of description of the buyers? Pages 8 & 9

https://capeyorkweekly.com.au/cape-york-weekly-edition-142/4094/
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 644102

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jul 11, 2023 at 22:19
Cuppa and Dusta: My original post never said corporate giant. The point of this stir is that instead of 6 roadhouses run by 6 unrelated owners, now one owner/board runs all 6 and has holidays in the Bahamas. They take the cream and pay low wages to casual workers. Maybe the original owners also paid low but holidayed in Cairns. How long until the corporate power of a multi roadhouse owner restricts camping anywhere within 100 km of their business? Looks like 4WD 24/7 Off grid better get out and do it asap before it's all shut down. It's the way it's going.
In the case of Bunnings it's bottom tier $$ to those on the shop floor and fat profits to the executive and dividends to the 484,000 Wesfarmers shareholders. It's almost an oligopoly for them as competition has been erased.
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924013

Follow Up By: Dusta - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 00:04

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 00:04
nice edit on your original rant warrie. Your original post had alot in it which you have now removed. Nice attempt.
FollowupID: 924014

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 07:45

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 07:45
Warrie I wasn’t criticising you, & I think Dusta’s use of the term ‘rant’ is a bit strong. I agree with your views on the corporates spoiling successful small businesses, but my post tried to reflect the flavour of the Cape York Weekly article, which seemed to paint a picture of a small company which focuses upon a handful of small outback enterprises. All a matter of scale I guess.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 924015

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 08:21
It's called "progress", the way of the world.

Once upon a time you had to cross Sydney Harbour by a rowed ferry, then they built a bridge, later a tunnel…. progress?

The real point is that if you don't like it then you need not avail yourself of the corporate service. As Charlotte Keyes put it….. "Suppose They Gave a War and No One Came".

Anything offered by Bunnings can be sourced elsewhere, but Bunnings made it more convenient, so the masses flocked to them and the little guys closed up. It takes a lot of commitment to stick to your ideals. But beating a drum is pretty easy.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 924016

Follow Up By: Rob J8 - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 18:42

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 18:42
The reason the" corporate giant " has bought up these outback properties is that nobody else wants them.
Try and get a 40+ couple to go out to Cocklebiddy, or Nullarbor or Archer River or anywhere else where there's no gym or beauty parlour, take on a bloody great mortgage for 30 plus years, not much chance.
We took on a $500,000 mortgage when we bought a motel freehold in 2000 but it was in a Sth Western Australia tourist town. I was 52, executive director of housekeeping was 48. We looked at Caravan parks along the Great Eastern Highway but none appealed to us.
Yes if I was 52 , I'd do it again but not remote.
FollowupID: 924019

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 20:07

Wednesday, Jul 12, 2023 at 20:07
Hi all , the real footy is on -- NRL not AFL so that will offend half. I have not edited any of the original post and I am not a liar. Simple as that. Quote: Giant agribusinesses versus family farms etc etc. Endquote. It does not say "corporate giant" .... Go the Blues. LOL
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 924020

Sponsored Links