Len beadell youtube video

Submitted: Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 08:20
ThreadID: 147614 Views:1105 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
Too long in the bush

Found this YouTube video by chance of Len beadell early days .. thought it may be interesting viewing for some of you Folk .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:12

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:12
Great video, first saw it years ago and thank you for sharing.

Brings back many great memories of our ventures out into Lens roads.

The only thing we have not done is go to Lens 250 mile marker, but have been out to his 300 mile marker 3 times.

R.I.P Len, you were a brilliant bushman.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645752

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 13:46

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 13:46
Thanks stephan: a couple other follow-up videos have now appeared .
No 2 after lens death and this one
Mid 1990 pioneer

I couldn't help noticing that in the video there was no or very little comment by Len about any Aboriginals in this area by Len badell
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 926125

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 16:09

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 16:09
Nick, I don't think he encountered many, I don't remember him talking about them much in his books either. Any way, here is one for you - Len Beadell's Fascinating Account of First Contact
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 926128

Follow Up By: Member - nickb boab - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 09:40

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 09:40
Thanks peter : i was looking at the part 2 video yesterday where that interview is from . And obviously had some contact with the locals .. That would have been interesting times , when you're on your own in the middle of nowhere . in one of the interviews he said his biggest worry was vehicle breaking down on him .
The Land Rover lovers Would have been in awe of lens experiences with Land Rover
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 926133

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 12:42

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 12:42
Len should not have worried as it's a well known fact that Land Rovers do not break down, they just fail to proceed.
Dave.
FollowupID: 926135

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 17:27

Monday, Apr 29, 2024 at 17:27
Margaret and I had the great privilege and pleasure of meeting Len on 2 occasions.
During the first occasion, we chatted about some of the bush trips we had done in our Minis in the late 60s and early 70s. He gave us the impression that he was actually interested in where we had been.
On the second occasion we met which was a couple of years later, he recalled in some detail the chat we had had 2 years before.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 645755

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 07:54

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 07:54
A mate of mine and his family had the privilege to be on a trip back in the 1990’s where Len accompanied the group, replacing some of Len’s original track markers. I cannot remember which one of Len’s roads it was, but each night Len would relate interesting facts about the area when he first went through.

During one particularly difficult sand hill, one of the other vehicles had a lot of trouble getting up the dune. My mate in his Range Rover towed him up and over the dune at a “fair rate of knots”, so much so that they got airborne over the crest. That night at camp, Len presented my mate with a drawing of his Range Rover towing the other vehicle getting airborne over the top. It is one of his prised possessions. That, and another drawing of my mates kids in a water trough splashing about.

I also have a copy of the DVD of Len’s “Shepparton Talk”.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645759

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 15:42

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2024 at 15:42
Thanks for that Nick. It brought back some memories as I spent 4 years working at Woomera 1954-58 and met Len several times there. He was always popular and talked of great adventures and was a celebrated raconteur, although not to be taken too seriously sometimes!
My work took me over some of his roads on the 'Range' and in later years I travelled with Connie Sue and Mick Hutton a couple of times on his more remote tracks. They took us to less-known places and imparted information that came directly from Len's diaries. Very privileged indeed.

I had not seen that particular video before so now shall add it to my 'Beadell file' along with much more about his exploits. With thanks to you.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 645761

Reply By: Member - Gary R M (VIC) - Wednesday, May 01, 2024 at 17:27

Wednesday, May 01, 2024 at 17:27
What a great doco, thanks for sharing Nick.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 645764

Sponsored Links