Jayco Hawk Outback

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 01:07
ThreadID: 39144 Views:8997 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I'm new at this game & I suppose that you've already answered this question before, but here goes.
I'm planning a trip around Oz & have been looking at the Jayco Hawk Outback Camper, It looks like it fits most of my requirements for the trip, but I have my doubts about the suspension system.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of camper & how do they perform both on & off road.
I'm planning on going to some pretty remote locations & don't want to be stranded with a dead trailer (been there already, not fun).
Regards.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: markcas - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:40

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:40
Hi
From my experience of owning a Jayco Flamingo Outback (05 model)and taking it off road is the suspension is good but the rest to the van will fall apart.It is really only good for smooth dirt roads and a bit of beach work.The van is the same as on road with better suspension.Jayco has changed the name from off road to outback.be prepared to refit screws now and then and tighten a few things up.But the van set up and towing are great just remember what you are towing be hind you .As i said before it is not a serious off road van more like a on road with higher suspension.
Mark
AnswerID: 202995

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:47

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 07:47
The Mrs and myself contemplated buying one new, and found out that the concept is great, as long as you do not want to take them up into the Outback.
Their suspension is too light !
You will find that the endless corrugations will shake it to pieces

Get a Trak Shak !,,,, or at least a trailer with a similar suspension system, ( independent coils )

I followed a Trak Shak across the Simpson Desert, last year and was in awe, as to how it just waddled along behind the tow vehicle, and in talking to the owners, ( members, Pud & Barb) commented on how easy it took the job,,, 4 months later we brought it from them.
Love it ,, we go out in it as often as we can ,, and the setup time is just 10 minutes ..

Cheers
Bucky

Have just done a 6,500 km trip across the outback, and without incident, or any repairs, and lots of other weekend trips.

AnswerID: 202997

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 08:41

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 08:41
Thanks for the reply's, It sort of confirms what I thought of the Jayco Outbacks.
We had a couple tag onto our group on Cape York last year with a Track Shack & it performed brilliantly, I was towing a home built trailer (built it myself, so no one else to blame!) with similar suspension to the Jayco & a friend was towing a Jayco Finch & we both had suspension problems, amongst others.
But we will be travelling for approx' two years, so we need to have a few home comforts as well as proper beds for three.
I think that I can modify the original suspension to cope with the corrugations etc.....', by adding coil springs, extra shockies & beefing up all welds & gussets.
What do you think?
Regards
Oz
FollowupID: 462555

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:55

Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:55
Thats the way mate !
Be sure that you have another look at Trak Shak suspension, ( or the Ultimate ) first

And if you got all the gear thats brilliant ,,,, wish I was that clever
As far as the extra shockers go ,, just get good quality, long travell 4x4 type

Cheers Mate
bucky
FollowupID: 462706

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 09:57

Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 09:57
Bucky, I build trailers as a hobby & I've got a couple of options with modifying the suspension.
Option one is just to add a couple of light coil springs (original front springs off the Disco') and replace all the shocks/mounts with heavier units, to the existing suspension: reasonably low cost option & easily done.
Option two is to fabricate a complete new trailing arm assembly, using new GU patrol heavy duty coils (already have these) and OME shocks: higher cost option & a lot more work involved, have to cut off all the existing components!
Option three, just buy one that was built that way originally.
Regards
Ozrover
FollowupID: 462726

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:25

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:25
Hi Rover- We owned a Jayco Dove for many years, and towed it offroad. The above comments are very valid. Good on-road, gravel and sand. Serious offroad - no.
We then bought a Coromal Magnum offroad - brilliant.
Similar features - far better build quality. Towed it every-where.
Chassis, suspension, drawbar are made for offroad conditions.
The inside fittings and construction handled corrugations, creek crossings and outback tracks without a screw loose.
(We now own a Coromal offroad pop-top - also brilliant - similar attention to detail)

Definately worth a look. The magnums came in on-road and off-road versions. It can take a bit of searching to find the off-road version, but worth the search.
We paid $17000 for ours, secondhand (in as new condition)......Keith

AnswerID: 203011

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 17:05

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 17:05
OK I've just had a look at a couple of Goldstream campers, much better suspension systems, more & seemingly better appointments.
But the payback is a higher purchase price.
Can only find a couple of Coromals 2nd hand but I'll keep looking.

Regards
Ozrover
FollowupID: 462608

Follow Up By: Member - Don (QLD) - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 22:40

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 22:40
keith,
We finally ordered our Jayco outback swan should see it in about 6 weeks.
Catch up soon
Don
FollowupID: 462655

Reply By: briggzee (WA) - Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 19:35

Saturday, Nov 04, 2006 at 19:35
Ozrover, you are right, there are numerous posts on this subject. No. 2354 and 38933 are a couple to start with. One thing seems to be consistant,dust problems! I am speaking from personal experience, dust can spoil your trip. Anyhow check out these posts and make up your own mind. (sounds like a Macdonalds ad!)
AnswerID: 203087

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 10:19

Sunday, Nov 05, 2006 at 10:19
Briggzee,
Thanks for that! Had a look at the posts that you mentioned & there is so much info out there it's amazing.
I'll be taking it all on board before the final decision.
Regards
Ozrover.
FollowupID: 462733

Sponsored Links