CDMA phone replacement

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:09
ThreadID: 39501 Views:5047 Replies:17 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
This is too good to be true.....Mind blowing stuff. Yesterday we went on an excursion to Telstra to sort out a few 3G network problems.... To cut a lonG story short if you have a CDMA phone Telstra will waive all your costs in transferring you to the Next G network.... Ok so Sybil ( proud 3G owner) after some lengthy debate & negotiations gets a new Next G phone, very suave smart black little thing with big Buttons & a HUGE screen, ( Next G will replace all other "systems" and according to Oliver at Woden is the bees knees) Then he says to me that he can upgrade me for free and being a consummate technophobe I agreed enthusiastically....

I now have a phone that has as a ring tone "The Blue Hills Theme" and for SMS alerts plays "On the Road to Mandalay", digitally remastered from an olde record. This is mind boggling isn't it...This pales into insignificance when you realize that the phone also has the ability to receive 20 Foxtel channels, AT A COST...

You have to admire the people who invested so much time & money to allow an idiot like me to put their technology to such inane use .... One does have to wonder at the need to watch Foxtel on your phone though....

But wait there's more, this phone comes complete with all the necessary impedima to allow you to plug it into your laptop via the USB port and for an additional $29 a month (casual, no contract) gives you internet access, 70mb (enough for banking & email) so this of course means that I will no longer have to use hotspots while travelling to perform the necessary chores AND I can send more updates illuminated by our own magic lantern slides....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:11

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:11
>>according to Oliver at Woden is the bees knees

I have some swamp forsale.. one day the drought will make it dry
AnswerID: 205293

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:29

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:29
No Bluetooth . That is a surprise in a whiz bang model . Please let us know how the performance compares to your old CDMA .
Thanks
AnswerID: 205296

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:30

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:30
Just taken the Next G plunge myself as the old Nokia CDMA is up for a new battery and pouch.

Here's the crunch. If I sign up for a $40 dollar business plan (you'll need an ABN), I get the top shelf Samsung and by switching my wife over to a $30 plan on the same account, she gets a brand new Samsung too. The kicker is as we are now both on the same business account, we get UNLIMITED FREE calls to each other. We also get half price calls (15c) between 7.00am and 7.00pm 7 days a week to ANY other phone.

My last CDMA bill was $248 for the month, reckon this will work out to about $60.

Might be crap - who knows? It sure sounds pretty bloody good to me.
AnswerID: 205297

Follow Up By: Ken - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:31

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:31
V8 Diesel, you can believe it, free calls between phones on business plan has been available for a while. There is also a range of options for 1/2 price calls to any mobile, or any fixed phone or 25% reduction to calls to both fixed & mobile phones offered under their 'rewards' plan.

Ken
FollowupID: 465262

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 15:35

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 15:35
Hmm,

I thought it was only the first 10 minutes free which is what I was offered on my business contract approx 3 months ago through telstra
FollowupID: 465297

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:39

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:39
Mike, I should have mentioned it is in 10 minute blocks now you bring it up. You can however hang up at 9.59 and ring back for 24hrs / 365.

I don't speak to the handbrake for periods over 10 minutes at a time in general, so in my case I still consider it 'unlimited' and neglected to mention it.
FollowupID: 465323

Follow Up By: mike w (WA) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:50

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:50
LOL

I myself find that anymore than 3:59 is too much

I too have to look at changing to next G, however I am not sold on any of the phones yet. It would mean upgrading car kit (if available) etc, and I dont need access to foxtel or the net whilst out and about, half the reason I go out and about, to escape this god damed computer!!

Will watch in anticipation the next couple of months, for feedack from happy (and not so happy) next G customers, and the progress of the phones. Hopefully Nokia get one underway (without camera, MP3, internet, foxtel, blue tooth, kitchen sink etc.)

Mike W
FollowupID: 465327

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:46

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:46
Yes it does have bluetooth.... Just that I glossed over the features...I also get an hour a day where I can make free voice & video calls....so my monthly mobile bill should drop to $20 from around $80....
It will be interesting to see what the performance is like....
AnswerID: 205301

Reply By: Kev M (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:02

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:02
So will they only do this if you have a current contract???

What about car kits do they provide these free with the change over including fitting where applicable??

I may even change over if thats so. We only just upgraded our contracts and phone with CDMA earlier this year, including fitting the car kits.
Also what type of phones are they offering?

Any advice would be appriciated

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 205304

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:05

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:05
Yes so had I only just upgraded my CDMA...Sad to see it rendered useless it is still a perfectly serviceable clamshell phone....Anyone want it?
My mother in LAW just gave me an earful as she had a GSM phone that kept cutting out so they did a deal for her as well, waived the rest of her contract and courierd out a new nextg phone.... It seems Telstra want everyone on NextG....
Ken I have no knowledge re car kits so I reckon give them a call & see what is on offer. Look at www.telstra.com.au and have a look....
I have just discovered that mine also has USB mass storage facilities...

I have just learned that Telstra will also replace some models of the PCMIA modems that they sold that use the CDMA network....
Sol must desperatley want to "Upgrade" Telstra's image....
FollowupID: 465270

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:11

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:11
I have just been through the same "new G" thing. A bit hard to knock back when it saves you money.
They throw in a free car kit with the LG phone and it will work with any phone with blue tooth.
Had to pay for. Could have done it myself but that would have interfered with my social plans.
It cost me nothing to get one for the mother in law and get the free calls. She thinks I am great but all things have a down side, I put a photo of me as the wallpaper. Just to remind her if she forgets me!!!

They say if it appears too good to be true it probably is. I believe this to be the exception.
Neil
FollowupID: 465273

Follow Up By: Lachie - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 16:35

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 16:35
Just swapped over myself to next G

No car kit with my samsung as yet. Would not touch a LG phone as my last LG cdma phone gave me nothing but trouble. Went back for repair 3 times and still played up. I have pressed it up in one of my hay bales accidentally so good riddens to it.

Reception of the new phone so far seems nearly the same as my old cdma. Probably better as my cdma was letting me down of late. They said reception would be greatly improved soon after christmas.

I noticed it has very few ring tones to select. If you want more you have to down load them off the, for a price !!!
FollowupID: 465305

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:00

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:00
Oh Lachie you should have got the LG LU500 like me.... I can download ringtones as mp3 files from my computer....
I've changed my ringtone to Nelson Eddy - a tune from "Indian Love Call" --- " When I'm calling you who who ooooooo who whoooooooooooooo"
FollowupID: 465309

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:39

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:39
I'm also not a fan of flip phone but would like one with a camera as well as blue tooth. Anyone know which models/brands fit that mould????

Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 465322

Reply By: RussellV - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:45

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 13:45
Is the coverage for nextG the same as CDMA?

Cheers

Russ
AnswerID: 205317

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 14:03

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 14:03
Same as Russ ?????
I only want a cdma for when I'm out camping, to keep in touch with the outside world.

WILL the next G phone recieve the same OR more as the old cdma network ???

If not its useless outside cities !!

Have seen all the hype about the "terrific" features , but not ONE single reference to reception in rural areas. If it was better than cdma, you would think telstra would be hyping it up also ???
FollowupID: 465282

Follow Up By: Nick R - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 21:29

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 21:29
Telstra site has a graphic of next g coverage, so far so good, just got 2 tonight, coverage in SW vic seems fine. SWMBO had only had her CDMA 6 months and got upgraded for free..... was a surprise to us too
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 465359

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 15:19

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 15:19
Well that is more fuel on the fire. The offer sounds good and seems at least worthy of investigation.

I think Sol really does want us to change over because while it is only anecdotal at this stage I reckon there has been a reduction in the signal strength on the CDMA network.

Out here at Broken Hill the tower was modified and the nextG turned on about a month ago and my reception has been poor ever since.

Didn't they say that wouldn't happen?

Duncs
AnswerID: 205330

Reply By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:43

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:43
Also forgot to add they are chucking in a free bluetooth handsfree kit too.

"Beam me up Scottie"
AnswerID: 205349

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:47

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:47
How hard are they to install if you already have the old style fitted??
Is it just a case of removing the old mounts and still use the same mic, speaker and power feed??

Thanks Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 465326

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:24

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:24
Having had to change over a work supplied GSM about 6 months ago to another GSM I was supplied with a Supertooth II handsfree unit.
It is bluetooth, can work with two different phones, no wires, 800 hrs standby, I use it all day every day and it lasts for a couple of months on a single charge, comes with 12/24v and 240v charger, mounts to any steel surface (has two magnets on the back), comes with two clips to fit on the sunvisor, easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle and has very good sound and people I talk to say it is very clear even when in a noisy truck.
Much easier to use than a dedicated handsfree unit and no installation required.
The only downside is that there is no external antenna option but lots of late model phones don't have an external antenna connection anyway.
FollowupID: 465409

Follow Up By: Kev M (NSW) - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:32

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:32
Traveller2,

I think that you have sold me. I'm now going to change over.

SWMBO wants to keep her CDMA for a bit longer but with an interchangable bluetooth contrapition (spelling) I'll keep the car kit in the cars for her and I'll use the blue tooth.

Thanks
Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 465431

Reply By: Bros 1 - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:45

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:45
Asked for next G pre paid today in CQ and told not yet, if at all ? Anyone know ?
Cheers
Bros
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 205350

Follow Up By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 20:15

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 20:15
I enquired last night at local telstra shop and was told there will be no prepaid g phones - plans only..........i then received a couple of minutes of how good it was and how i can email and watch tv and foxtel and all manner of stuff..........when i asked if i would be able to receive or make calls away from the main centres of w.a. the answer was of course - the coverage is the same as cdma and that is 98% of the population...........i then informed the excited salesgirl that as good as that is it only equates to 60% of the continent - i left it there as she had no idea what i was on about..............should have started talking about the oc - at least she would have known something................so the upshot is that no prepaid (telstra makes no money) and next g is no better at receiving or making phone calls than my current nokia cdma. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 465504

Reply By: Turist (The Original One) - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:53

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 17:53
From the Telstra website, FAQ's

Question:
When will the new network equal existing CDMA mobile coverage?

Answer:
Software enhancements to base stations provided by Ericsson during 2007 will continue to extend the national coverage until we have the same or better coverage as our existing CDMA coverage (98 per cent of the population or 1.6km², and before we decommission the network in early 2008).
AnswerID: 205352

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 18:07

Thursday, Nov 16, 2006 at 18:07
Anyone know if Next G is a "line of sight" system or does it rely on time slots as per GSM? I suspect it's LOS but would be nice to have it confirmed.

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 465331

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 13:37

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 13:37
Interesting question Mike as most of yours are.... I did ask about reception in "difficult" areas and all I could get out of the guy was a spiel about the tremendous advantage of being able to recieve Foxtel on the phone....I don't think they know or care as long as they can shut down CDMA....
FollowupID: 465453

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 22:38

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 22:38
Can't be Mike, Nick found his has got good coverage even the valleys round here.
FollowupID: 465527

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 06:20

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 06:20
Morning all!

Having just returned from 6000k from Melbourne to Alice, Woomera. Googs Track, Eyre Peninsula then home I can report that 3G coverage is nowhere near as good as CDMA.
With CDMA I can also get coverage most of the way between Melb and Woods Point. I don't believe that 3G can do that.
I'll stick with CDMA until 3G or the NEXT G improves coverage as I don't need (want) all the bells and whistles.

Just my observations.

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 205412

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:30

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:30
Been reading the Whirlpool responses for phones and data transfer and the responses have generally been excellent, better than many expected for Telstra. Check Site Link as it is concentrated on phones.

I knw Nick R changed his troublesome Ericson over to a new Samsung last night and is rapt so far. His SWMBO did too from a CDMA, where the contract is a recent one, changed without hassle.
AnswerID: 205428

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:33

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:33
Have done some searching to find out the phone model options currently available with the Next G band.

Do you know there are NO phones available that don't have bloody camera's in them.

I work in an Industry where camera phones are:-
not allowed,
banned,
prohibited,
outlawed,
illegal,
illicit,
forbidden
verboten
and you can't have them on site.

I don't want a camera on a phone anyway, I just want to be able to ring someone, or receive a call.

So I'll just wait awhile.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 205430

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:46

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 09:46
VERY good point mate.

an example: swimming pool change rooms. there are signs that say if you are caught using your phone in them, the police will be called.

personally, i'd rather an AM radio (if it was possible) than a camera in my phone.
FollowupID: 465421

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 15:21

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 15:21
I'm shocked, Sand man.
You actually want to use your device as a .......... telephone, to talk to other people?????
So do I, and guess what. NONE of their new phones will connect to an outside antenna.
Bloody useless as far as I'm concerned.
Cheers
FollowupID: 465464

Follow Up By: markeaust - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 21:53

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 21:53
Flash,

The Next G system/Telstra actually does have a phone that has access to an extenal antenna. It is the one branded Telstra. I went into Crazy Johns today and actually saw the car kit and the connection for the external antenna and where it plugs into the phone itself. The biggest problem I see with this phone, as I also want an external antenna and car kit, is that there is this silly 'mini D connector poking out the side of the phone which has to be plugged in after you put the phone in the cradle. Why can't they just do like Nokia do and have one where you SIMPLY 'snap' the phone in the cradle and it's all done??? Frustrating. I want to replace both SWMBO's phone an my own, but I think I'll wait for the second 'generation' of Next G phones to come out....surely Nokia will come out with a decent one????

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 465522

Reply By: Bilbo - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 13:53

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 13:53
Well gents, that's done it fer me!

All I want is a cheap phone that can make phone calls anywhere in "Oz".

Next G doesn't do it. Doesn't cut it. Sat phone is too expensive.

I just wanna make a phone call from somewhere on the Great Central Road.

I don't want Foxtel. I don't want pictures. I don't want video. I don't want sports results. I don't want rig tones.

I want a phone that rings like "ring,ring,ring,,,,,," when I'm ANYWHERE in Australia. Just like any other civilised, western country. I also want a phone that has BIG buttons on it. Not much to ask for is it?

Do you make one ,Sol? Can I get this, Sol? Are you there, Sol? Do you care, Sol?

Meanwhile, I have T3 shares that will make a profit because 99% of the Australian population wants Foxtel, video, ring tones, sports, pictures.

So buy "Next G" folks. You're spending. I'm earning.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 205472

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 15:22

Friday, Nov 17, 2006 at 15:22
Ditto.
Couldn't agree more.
FollowupID: 465465

Follow Up By: Turbo - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:32

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:32
Hi bilbo, my wife just upgraded to next3 today she called me from adelaide and said, this will be wizz bang with reception. wife gets home i hold both phones up? guess what next3 no reception she has to walk outside.[ not happy jan ] its about as good as gsm was. glad she didnt upgrade me as well.i will keep cdma as long as i can. or untill there reception picks up. chers Dave.
FollowupID: 465534

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 09:48

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 09:48
But Turbo, maaate, did you tell her that it's not a telephone, it's a mobile entertainment package,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but she has to STAY in Adelaide to use it!!

It's not that hard, Turbo! Sol wouldn't appreciate this attitude of yours. Telstra will never make money if people wanna keep making phone calls on it!!

TIC - as always ;)

Take care,

Bilbo
FollowupID: 465561

Reply By: Turbo - Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:42

Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:42
Hi , Mr Fawlty my wife just got the same one today. great deal as well, but the reception is NOT very good so far. about as good as gsm was before cdma.im happy with my cdma and will not change until the reception is better than mine.im sick of changing phones lol. cheers Dave.
AnswerID: 205564

Reply By: Blaze - Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 02:27

Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 02:27
Did they also inform you that your G network will have a huge loss of coverage compared to CDMA once away from towns etc???

I believe it will never be any better than the current GSM coverage, sucks for all us country users. At present I can drive 270k's from the Riverland to Adelaide through the back way. EG Loxton to Karoonda, Tailem Bend etc and not loose service with CDMA, try that with a G Phone.
AnswerID: 205693

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 14:15

Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 14:15
What I have learned is that the GSM networks run by the other players i.e. Optus et al will remain as they only by royal decree have to provide a service in the areas of high population density that they now serve. 3G not to be confused with NextG will die a slow death...Next G will provide similar coverage to the existing CDMA service sheduled for decommisioning early 2008 (much the same as happened to the old analogue). Telstra will then only support NextG & the satellight service. My man @ the top told me it was all to do with frequency allocations, I'm not qualified to comment in this regard. NextG is in it's infancy at this stage I'm told....
I feel realy upset for those of us who for whatever reason choose to live away from our chocked population centres, in my travels it amazes me the tenacity of some of my fellow Aussies...But then another Vietnam Vet who I know works on an isolated station 380 km along a dirt track off the Stuart Hwy & he recons he has it better than us in all things except telephone & internet, You get crook the RFDS is there to help, You don't drive to town, you fly, you don't have moronic cretins stealing stuff & he is a damned site healthier than me....To each his own...
FollowupID: 465698

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 09:10

Sunday, Nov 19, 2006 at 09:10
I reckon that Next G is straight from the Sol "ARPU" focus. In fact he mentions that "he wants to make sure that RPU protects itself or it grows". RPU is Return Per User, so the wave of "features" you cant be without will continue.

Next G's transmitter coverage is similar to CDMA. i.e. I mean that GSM is good for 20 km (or so) from a transmitter, CDMA is good for 40km or more, so when all the CDMA transmitters are killed off then Next G will indeed be as good a coverage as CDMA....If they replace all the transmitters with Next G equipment, who says they will? Orange or Three have already bolted from the CDMA technology and offered a GSM phone, so coverage is stuffed complared to CDMA, just have to wait for Next G and ALL transmitters upgraded and then every phone will have bluetooth and will work with the bluetooth carkits so no more worrying about changing car kits, and I can stack up another one in the shed (i think I have three there or bits of them).

Roll on Next G......
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 205711

Sponsored Links